Gideon, Ally of Zendikar: Official Thread

Malcrof
Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2016 in Planeswalker Details
zrgH6zj.jpg

RYySZSy.jpg

Cost to Max Level: 79,920 runes

manawhite.pngGideon, Ally of Zendikar (GideonZ)
1: Echo of Gideon - cost: 6
1 - summon a 2/2 Hoplite token with haste; it dies at the end of your turn
2 - summon a 3/3 Hoplite token with haste; it dies at the end of your turn
3 - summon a 4/4 Hoplite token with haste; it dies at the end of your turn
4 - summon a 4/4 Hoplite token with haste, vigilance; it dies at the beginning of your next turn

2: Conscription - cost: 9
1 - summon 1 2/2 White Knight Ally token
2 - summon 2 2/2 White Knight Ally tokens
3 - summon 3 2/2 White Knight Ally tokens
4 - summon 4 2/2 White Knight Ally tokens

3: Rally the Troops - cost: 12
1 - grants +2/+2 to each creature with the Ally creature you control
2 - grants +3/+3 to each creature with the Ally creature you control
3 - grants +4/+4 to each creature with the Ally creature you control
4 - grants +5/+5 to each creature with the Ally creature you control

Level 60 mana bonuses: +2 manawhite.png | +2 managreen.png | manared.png | manablack.png | +2 manablue.png
Level 60 HP: 104
Level 60 max Creatures: 5 Spells: 10 Supports: 7

Post your decks and tips for GideonZ below!

Comments

• Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975
    edited August 2016
    With the coming event, that will give oath of Gideon to players, making a good Gideon ally deck will be much easier.

These are good cards that will be easily accessible

Oath of gideon(event)
    Smite the monstrous(common)
    Serene steward(uncommon)
    Allied reinforcements(daily login card reward. Uncommon)
    Kor entanglers(uncommon)
    Ondu rising(uncommon)

So 6/10 cards are already "free".
    You complete with some other good cards(veteran warleader, lantern scout) or if not available with some personal preference stuff.

For reference my decklist:
    i5qBcHU.jpg
    Will remove one ramp support for oath when I get it.

P.s. @Malcrof: As you can see from my screen, correct deck values for Gideon ally are
    Creature 5
    Spell 10
    Support 7
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Morphis wrote:

P.s. @Malcrof: As you can see from my screen, correct deck values for Gideon ally are
    Creature 5
    Spell 10
    Support 7

Corrected! Thank you!.
  • Mcjordan
    Mcjordan Posts: 82 Match Maker
    I've been having a lot of success with a disable Ally/Angel deck. It is very support heavy, where the main objective is to disable the opponent and summon a ton of Angels and Allies using the second skill.

Supports:
    Shrine of the Forsaken Gods (r)
    Sigil of the Empty Throne (r)
    Oath of Gideon (r)
    Quarantine Field (m)
    Suppression Bonds (r)
    Mirror Pool (m)

Creatures:
    Kor Entanglers (u)
    Reflector Mage (u)
    Veteran Warleader (r)

Spell:
    Smite the Monstrous (c)

There are many win conditions in the deck. Basically, the strategy is to get Sigil and Veteran Warleader out ASAP, and play everything else as you get it. I never end up using any skill but his 2nd, since summoning 4 allies with warleader out is awesome (same with Oath of Gideon, which could potentially add 4 1/1s, increase your warleader by 8/8, and add a 4/4 angel). Kor Entanglers, Suppression Bonds, Quarantine Field, and Reflector Mage bounce and lockdown your opponent's field.

It is a cheap deck, both in mana cost and card rarity. It is my go-to white deck in Nodes of Power, and I probably have an over 95% win rate with it. It is hard to say exactly what my win loss ratio is with this specific deck since I switch often in Quick Battle, but here is my overall:

4edwY1V.png

An obvious replacement would be switching out Shrine of the Forsaken Gods with Hixus, Prison Warden; I just don't have it yet. a cheap support with mana gain fills that role well enough for now, but let me know if you have any suggestions for improvements! It's a fun deck to play, and probably a frustrating one to play against. I wish I knew stats on win/loss ratio when people play against the AI with it.
  • Netatron
    Netatron Posts: 147
    Mcjordan wrote:
    An obvious replacement would be switching out Shrine of the Forsaken Gods with Hixus, Prison Warden; I just don't have it yet. a cheap support with mana gain fills that role well enough for now, but let me know if you have any suggestions for improvements!

I find that Hixus is a good replacement for Suppression Bonds.
  • Reaganstorme
    Reaganstorme Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Wish I had Veteran Warleader and Sigil myself. My Gideon Ally Deck looks like this:

Creatures (1):
    Kor Entanglers

Spells (5):
    Roil's Retribution / Swift Reckoning
    Ondu Rising
    Enshrouding Mist
    Allied Reinforcements
    Smite the Monsterous

Supports (4):
    Retreat to Emeria
    Oath of Gideon
    Hixus Prison Warden
    Valor in Akros

Basically keep pumping out Kor Allies and Knight Allies as often as you can. Ondu is there for the recovery of a slow start, but this deck isn't exactly quick anyway. Hixus is a great staller when it spawns in the right place. I'm considering droping the Disabled killers for a white mana changer to try and get more landalls, but none of my creatures can be defensive blockers or act as creature removal.
  • Shadow-Mage
    Shadow-Mage Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Ally Gideon is one of my strongest decks and builds fast. That being said every deck can be better and I am looking for advice on how to make this deck even better. Please leave any advice you may be able to provide.

Creatures
    Cliffside Lookout: Give a temporary 1 turn boost to your creatures
    Munda's Vanguard: Give a permanent boost to all your creatures
    General Tazri: Summon another Ally creature and gives lots of power boost
    Angelic Captain: Boosted by each ally you control when she attacks
    Drana Emissary: Little life gain and some damage for your opponent per turn

Spells
    Declaration in Stone: Creature removal
    Allied Reinforcements: Create Ally soldier tokens

Supports
    Mirrorpool: Make your creatures bigger faster
    Silverstrike: Kill off an attacking creature
    Suppression Bonds: Stall to get out some big creatures

Over all this deck builds fast and when you throw in Gideon's 3rd ability you get some huge allies in a hurry. Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you
  • greenmeanie
    greenmeanie Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Currentl Deck

Token Control

Creatures
    Temmet, Vizier of Naktamun
    Glory-Bound Initiate

Spell
    Consulate Crackdown

Supports
    Desert's Hold
    Cast Out
    Sigil of the Empty Throne
    Valor in Akros
    Gideon's Intervention
    Gideon's Defeat
    Ixalan's Binding

It's slow to begin with but once you lockdown your opponent.  It's game over.  It's heavy with 6 rares, 1 mythic, and 3 uncommons.  Deck is very adaptable to restrictions in event's.

Here is a quick overview of deck.  With Temmert he gives creature boost but also can be resurrected with emblem.  Glory I threw in for some lifegain.   Ran 1 spell consulate to get rid of supports.  But that can be exchanged for any spell you want or add another creature.  The meat of the deck is the 7 supports.  4 to supports to control creatures, sigil to pump out angels, valor for creature boost and works great with his 2nd ability, and Gideon's Intervention for some protection.