Matchmaking in events is terrible

Options
bgqtony
bgqtony Posts: 24
edited September 2016 in MtGPQ Events
Is there any plans to improve matchmaking in events? I have level 20 PWs constantly having to go up against level 60s. I'm not sure how D3 thinks this is fair, especially in battles with enrage. Having twice as many HPs and more mana from matches is a bit ridiculous. I don't understand why they don't do matchmaking like in quick battles where they pick someone near your level. Right now, matchmaking is a joke.

Comments

• DrakenKorin
    Options
    I've yet to receive a single match that wasn't against a lvl 60. My max is lvl 32.. With most being more like lvl 10. I've stopped playing this event. It happens I guess. I did alright the last event. So it's odd to get such tough matches this time around.
  • bgqtony
    Options
    At least, before the last update, you could back out of an matchup and try for a better one. Since then, you are stuck with whoever they give you, usually level 60 to my 30. I've never lost so many matches since this new system.

I think I'm just going to pay less attention to events unless this is fixed, and probably just not play as much.
  • DrakenKorin
    Options
    I've still got plenty of story mode to go through, and win pretty regular at quick battle. So I've got plenty to play. But yeah, no point wasting the energy on an event only to get slaughtered.
  • Crimmy
    Options
    I've only had lvl 60 opponents pop up as well. My highest PW is level 40. This turned my favorite part of the game into something that's no longer remotely fun.
  • Feyda
    Feyda Posts: 105
    Options
    This is especially offputting to newer players since I am starting to run up against issues with getting mana crystals from story fights. Got my Chandra up to 30 but the kill x creatures and cast x spells are getting harder and harder as the decks scale in story mode. I don't care much about placing high in the events, but at this rate even getting progression rewards is basically impossible. I've got Nissa at 42 and Chandra at 30 and a **** **** Tessert at 19.. all matchups are level 60.
  • Gannon_34
    Options
    Is this intentional? Are events supposed to be endgame content only? I have planeswalkers at 30-40 and I still get absolutely stomped in these events, it's not even worth trying when all I match up against are lvl 60 PWs.
  • Feyda
    Feyda Posts: 105
    Options
    It would be nice if they balanced this a bit better into tiers.. I've progressed some since then, got Gideon 1, Nissa, and Chandra at level 40-46 now and I can fairly reliably win with those 3. I'd be fine with being in a "lower reward bracket" if I was being put up against relatively equal opponents so that I had a better shot at getting all the progression rewards.
  • Pqmtg-
    Pqmtg- Posts: 282
    Options
    bgqtony wrote:
    Is there any plans to improve matchmaking in events? I have level 20 PWs constantly having to go up against level 60s. I'm not sure how D3 thinks this is fair, especially in battles with enrage. Having twice as many HPs and more mana from matches is a bit ridiculous. I don't understand why they don't do matchmaking like in quick battles where they pick someone near your level. Right now, matchmaking is a joke.

There's a reason why lower level walkers get less ribbons per win in qb. This is not the case in the events.
  • Azazel
    Options
    I can see problems with level differences (When facing lower levels it makes secondary objectives more difficult)
    But my problem is playing the same people over and over and over and over, especially if they rely on gimmicks (ToneLoki has Runaway Carriage and Haunted Cloak in EVERY one of his decks....)
  • Pqmtg-
    Pqmtg- Posts: 282
    Options
    Azazel wrote:
    I can see problems with level differences (When facing lower levels it makes secondary objectives more difficult)
    But my problem is playing the same people over and over and over and over, especially if they rely on gimmicks (ToneLoki has Runaway Carriage and Haunted Cloak in EVERY one of his decks....)

Isn't it instant win against him every game then?

There are solutions to Runaway carriage, but the problem was that it wasted deck slots you rather not, especially since you didn't even know if Runaway carriage would make an appearance.

Knowing his gimmick would allow you to hard counter it comfortably, no?
  • Azazel
    Options
    Pqmtg- wrote:
    Azazel wrote:

Isn't it instant win against him every game then?

There are solutions to Runaway carriage, but the problem was that it wasted deck slots you rather not, especially since you didn't even know if Runaway carriage would make an appearance.

Knowing his gimmick would allow you to hard counter it comfortably, no?

To an extent it was easy enough to counter, but it's just a huge pain. Not so much now thanks to the changes to RC.
  • bgqtony
    Options
    Pqmtg- wrote:
    bgqtony wrote:

There's a reason why lower level walkers get less ribbons per win in qb. This is not the case in the events.

Well perhaps the could revise the system so it is the case. Because right now, matchmaking is a steaming pile of ****. It heavily favors players with a ton of high level PWs and unnecessarily punishes new players.