Why do covers expire?

Options
Unknown
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I don't know if this has ever been addressed......but why do extra covers expire after a week? I'm just wondering what the rationale for it is.

Especially with changing nerfs/buffs and the upcoming re-spec option, it would seem like extra covers should be something we should always have on hand in case we need to change our current toons.

I really doubt it's a memory or storage issue on D3P's end. If anything, the ability to store covers indefinitely could be another way for them to generate revenue, which is to limit the cache size and increase it's size using HP, just like our roster.

It sucks not being able to save extra earned covers, especially 3* covers, in case of changes to the characters. If the future re-speccing option requires us to have the extra covers we want to change to on hand, it would be nice to have them available at all times once they are earned, and not just happen to have them during the 7-day window and force us to re-spec during that week-long time frame. Just as an example.....if my Patch is currently 5/3/5, and I want to change him to 3/5/5 through the future re-spec option.....will I require 2 red covers to re-spec him? (I know this is just speculation since we don't know yet how the re-spec system is going to be implemented). If so, am I suppose to somehow earn 2 red covers during the same 7 day window, instead of being able to keep and use 2 red covers I may have earned in the past?

I guess maybe the reasoning is that it forces players to create an alt of the current build, thereby forcing players to spend HP to increase their current roster size?

Anyways, I just feel it would be nice to have covers not expire, and I don't see it having a negative impact on the ability for this game to make money, if anything, it can be an additional source of monetization.

Comments

• Mizake wrote:
    I don't know if this has ever been addressed......but why do extra covers expire after a week? I'm just wondering what the rationale for it is.

To encourage you to either make choices about your current roster, or encourage you to use / buy HP for roster slots.
    Mizake wrote:
    .if my Patch is currently 5/3/5, and I want to change him to 3/5/5 through the future re-spec option.....will I require 2 red covers to re-spec him?
    IceIX wrote:
    - Bruce Banner’s research on the Gamma Bomb have paid off in an unexpected way. Using Iso-8 as its base, a new style of energy reactor has been created with Gamma Bomb technology. Anyone that is within range of these controlled environments when the reactor is active has found themselves able to alter the strength of their abilities, but at a cost to another one of their strengths. S.H.I.E.L.D. technologists have termed this phenomenon a “Power Shift”, although SHIELD Field Agents have taken to calling it a “Respec”
      o Power Shifting may only be done to a character that has 13/13 abilities o Using an ability comic (or paying the Hero Point cost) for the power desired, an Agent may choose to add a point to that power while reducing one of the other powers by one point.

Yes it will take two covers, or two purchases through HP to switch. It's the preliminary R48 patch notes. You use the cover on a maxed out hero, and you will be prompted to lower one of your other abilities by 1.
  • Thanks, somehow I completely overlooked the R48 preview thread.
  • They don't expire...they just go back into the weave of the Marvel Universe to be acquired by the next agent icon_mrgreen.gif