**** Luke Cage (Power Man) ****

Comments

• Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    We do not have a Yellow battery (Thor's red is not very good).
    icon_kingpin.pngpurpleflag.png says hello.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 689 Critical Contributor
    I hope his deadpool clash is versus Sentry. Sentry loses health to put a strike tile down, then Luke instantly removes it.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    babinro wrote:
    I haven't been doing 4* breakdowns for a while now but I feel the need to comment here because 4* Luke Cage needs a rework in my opinion.

"When Luke is in front,..."

Haven't we learned that this is a HUGE design flaw in the game by now? Hulk, Captain Marvel, Xavier, Gamora's black all suffer from this big time. They become super niche characters because of the nature of championed characters, weekly boosts and higher tiers.

The message this sends to me about Luke Cage is that I better get a lot of his covers if I'm a 3* transitioning player because that's among the only times in the game where he'll truly shine. My level 191 3* cage can have a 284 protect tile on the board so increasing that to 329 on a max level 4* who can't reliably be in the front isn't a strong enough advantage to justify the downsides.

Hero for Hire
    My only gripe with this power is that Iron Fist is currently only a 3* character. I'm sure it's possible we'll see a 4* Fist but until then it's never been a great idea to have character synergy between tiers of play.

It limits how viable they are as a team because of PvE scaling and PvP MMR not to mention the detriments of running lower tier characters on defense makes you a bigger target. In all fairness, Fist is among the most viable 3*s to the point where he's essentially a 3.5* character but I feel my point is still valid.

I'd have like to have seen more Fortify synergy with this character as well. Perhaps adding that as a kicker to his red or a reworked kicker on his black.

Buncha Fiddle-Faddle
    This skill is fine. The base damage is solid and the kicker damage is great. I do think that the kicker is particularly hard to fire given the design of 4* and 5*s but on the other hand you can run Cage with JG and clear the board prior to firing this. It's a team synergy that has no colour overlap and compliments one another.

The main reason for this post was to point out the 'character in front' mechanic issue. This is among the worst problems with long term character usefulness in my opinion and the last thing we need is to see it on yet another character. Especially a 4* whose match damage can't hope to compete with 5* tier realistically.

That's true, although I think it's worth pointing out that this includes on defense, when another player fires a power -at- Luke. Unless it stuns, presumably.

Actually that's kind of counter-intuitive now that I think about it. Probably would have been fine if the whole passive just triggered every time. The other part is just a protect tile so he'd hardly be getting away with much
  • dlegendary0ne
    dlegendary0ne Posts: 93 Match Maker
    Buncha Fiddle-Faddle - 13 redtile.png AP
    Luke doesn’t have time for all this nonsense. Give these knick-knack-paddy-whacks what for!

This may be the corniest thing I've ever heard. I don't know anyone who talks like this.

Solid character though I guess
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    Luke doesn’t have time for all this nonsense. Give these knick-knack-paddy-whacks what for!

This may be the corniest thing I've ever heard. I don't know anyone who talks like this.

It's corny, but it's intentional from the latest iron man/power fist comic. He's a father now, and his wife forbids him from swearing, so that's how he talks now for comedic relief (actually alot of the comic is comedy and it's great)
  • famousfoxking
    famousfoxking Posts: 245 Tile Toppler

But you do know a bunch of bullet proof people?
  • Tee
    Tee Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    Blahahah wrote:
    You have yellow, red, green, purple so you need a black and blue user to compensate.

Surprisingly, if you don't care for the red, IMHB makes a pretty keen fit into this team.
    Reed Richards is also not too shabby, of course this is assuming he gets a buff. Still, he benefits from healing off of the opponents having to match away your tiles and he can put out the imaginaut which can give some decent damage.

Punisher is also really good. Makes the strike tiles from IF stronger, just provides some big chunky damage.

Doctor Octopus is a weird but nice addition as well for a 3-4* transition. Means you don't get any use out of black AP, but reducing enemy tiles while keeping them on the board is great for Insult and Manipulation.

I'd add in Mystique for PvE and possibly Daken to avoid burning the black when you just want the damage of the purple in PvP.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Cthulhu wrote:
    The Defender - 0 blacktile.png AP
    (PASSIVE) Luke’s unbreakable skin deflects incoming attacks, bolstering his team’s defense. Whenever an enemy fires a power, creates a Black strength 44 Protect tile. If Luke is in front, he reduces a random enemy special tile by 37 (to a minimum of 1).
    Level Upgrades
      Level 2: Creates a strength 61 Protect tile. If Luke is in front, reduces a random enemy Special tile by 51. Level 3: Creates a strength 78 Protect tile. If Luke is in front, reduces a random enemy special tile by 69. Level 4: Creates a strength 112 Protect tile. If Luke is in front, reduces a random enemy special tile by 97. Level 5: Creates a strength 174 Protect tile. If Luke is in front, removes a random enemy Attack, Strike, or Protect tile.
    Max Level
      Level 3: Creates a strength 147 Protect tile. If Luke is in front, reduces a random enemy special tile by 129. Level 4: Creates a strength 211 Protect tile. If Luke is in front, reduces a random enemy special tile by 181. Level 5: Creates a strength 329 Protect tile. If Luke is in front, removes a random enemy Attack, Strike, or Protect tile.

HOLY COW I just realized he's going to be so strong against normal mooks. Those Ninjas who start activating 2 powers every turn after turn 3-4? That's +300 protect every single time. The board will be littered in high-strength protect tiles in no time, rendering those attacks ineffective.
  • an1979
    an1979 Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Cthulhu wrote:
    Luke Cage (Power Man) icon_lukecage.png
    4 Star Rarity (Legendary) Wiki Link
    At Max Level: HP: 14477 Tile Damage: 85/65/12/11/13/74/3.8x
      Hero for Hire- 8 yellowtile.png AP
      Luke Cage is always ready stop and up for the little guy! Fortifies up to 1 friendly special tile(s), then deals 472 damage for each Fortified friendly special tile on the board. If Iron Fist is an active ally, creates a strength 43 Protect tile first.
      Level Upgrades
        Level 2: Deals 666 damage for each Fortified friendly special tile.
      Iron Fist creates a strength 56 Protect tile.
      Level 3: Fortifies 2 friendly special tiles.
      Level 4: Deals 925 damage fore each Fortified special tile. Iron Fist creates a strength 105 Protect tile.
      Level 5: Deals 1055 damage for each Fortified friendly Special tile. Iron Fist creates a strength 171 Protect tile.
      Max Level
        Level 3: Fortifies 2 friendly special tiles, then deals 1249 damage for each Fortified friendly special tile.
      Iron Fist creates a strength 104 Protect tile.
      Level 4: Deals 1735 damage for each Fortified special tile. Iron Fist creates a 197 Protect tile.
      Level 5: Deals 1978 damage for each Fortified special tile. Iron Fist creates a 318 Protect tile.

Luke doesn’t have time for all this nonsense. Give these knick-knack-paddy-whacks what for! deals 1076 damage, or 1721 damage if there are no enemy Strike, Protect, or Attack tiles on the board.
      Level Upgrades
        Level 2: Deals 1506 damage or 2409 damage if there are no enemy Strike, Protect, or Attack tiles. Level 3: Deals 1937 damage or 3098 damage if there are no enemy Strike, Protect, or Attack tiles. Level 4: Deals 2798 damage or 4475 damage if there are no enemy Strike, Protect, or Attack tiles. Level 5: Deals 4159 damage or 7228 damage if there are no enemy Strike, Protect, or Attack tiles.
      Max Level
        Level 3: Deals 3627 damage, or 5803 damage if there are no enemy Strike, Protect, or Attack Tiles. Level 4: Deals 5239 damage, or 8392 damage if there are no enemy Strike, Protect, or Attack Tiles. Level 5: Deals 8463 damage, or 13541 damage if there are no enemy Strike, Protect, or Attack Tiles.

Preview in the game shows that level 5 Hero for Hire got a buff

Level 5:
      Fortifies 3 friendly special tiles. Deals 1055 damage for each Fortified friendly Special tile. Iron Fist creates a strength 171 Protect tile.

Red on the first page has a typo in description I think
      Level 5: Deals 4159 damage or 7228 damage if there are no enemy Strike, Protect, or Attack tiles.
      in the game:
      Level 5: Deals 4519 damage or 7228 damage if there are no enemy Strike, Protect, or Attack tiles.
    • Blahahah
      Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
      You know what I just thought about? Pair him with Carnage. Every time your enemy fires a power, you basically get free damage while Luke's protect tiles will negate the enemy's damage tiles.

You get yellow, black, red, green and for purple and blue you can toss in Ant Man to steal away the enemy tiles and help Luke get his big hit out
    • CrookedKnight
      CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
      ErikPeter wrote:

HOLY COW I just realized he's going to be so strong against normal mooks. Those Ninjas who start activating 2 powers every turn after turn 3-4? That's +300 protect every single time. The board will be littered in high-strength protect tiles in no time, rendering those attacks ineffective.

Guess who's FalCap's new best friend!
    • dlegendary0ne
      dlegendary0ne Posts: 93 Match Maker
      cyineedsn wrote:

It's corny, but it's intentional from the latest iron man/power fist comic. He's a father now, and his wife forbids him from swearing, so that's how he talks now for comedic relief (actually alot of the comic is comedy and it's great)

If it's intentional, that just makes it worse. I know plenty of fathers who don't swear, and they still don't say corny stuff like this.
    • cyineedsn
      cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
      cyineedsn wrote:

If it's intentional, that just makes it worse. I know plenty of fathers who don't swear, and they still don't say corny stuff like this.

I was going to write a sarcastic post going into the wacky history of luke, jessica jones, and iron fist but lets just say...uh... because comics?
    • Interesting character that's taking down special tiles well. Also cool to see that combining him with Iron Fist would improve one of his powers. It's not necessary, but it is a nice boost.
    • GrumpySmurf1002
      GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
      ErikPeter wrote:

Guess who's FalCap's new best friend!

I get the idea here but the yellow/red overlap is gonna kill a ton of their synergy.

What'll be super annoying is when they put a Cage-Quake-XDP node in a future simulator/gauntlet.

I'm warming up to him being decent. The bump to 3 fortified at 5 yellow means potentially 6k damage for 8 to go with his red nuke, which means he will be able to pump out damage pretty well.
    • OzarkBoatswain
      OzarkBoatswain Posts: 689 Critical Contributor
      I think 4* Luke was designed too similarly to Falcap. A cheap yellow and an expensive red, a passive that modifies special tile damage and does something else, and both are most notable as protect tile characters. I give the edge to Luke for having the better passive.
    • Pylgrim
      Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
      Added to the Character Compendium.
    • Mechahamster
      Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
      The constant screen shake when his black gets triggered a few times in a row is making me nauseous icon_mad.gif
    • Crowl
      Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
      The constant screen shake when his black gets triggered a few times in a row is making me nauseous icon_mad.gif

Given how many powers are spammed by goons, that power is going to slow things down so badly and render him unusable outside an essential node if you are playing for placement where speed matters.
    • Blahahah
      Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
      Crowl wrote:

Given how many powers are spammed by goons, that power is going to slow things down so badly and render him unusable outside an essential node if you are playing for placement where speed matters.

But in PvP, him and carnage will make an absurd scarecrow.