Harness + Match 5

Options
shteev
shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Now that we're all taking 25 minute turns with Harness the Storm, has anyone else noticed that sometimes the game forgets you had an extra move from a match 5? It happened to me earlier today, and I asked around and a couple of other people have noticed it too. We *could* all be mistaken, I guess, so I thought I'd ask here and see what people think.

If you haven't got Harness the Storm, then I'd quit mastering cards right now if I was you.

Comments

• shteev
    Options
    P.S. Speeded up token spawning animation sure would be nice now. Or do we have to buy Olivia in order to win fast?
  • moogus
    Options
    Match 5 doesn't apply for cascades as a result of spell effects or triggered abilities, only from chains you manually started.
  • HunMike
    Options
    I haven't encountered this yet, but the opposite several times: sometimes the AI rewards itself with a plus turn. It usually occurs after cascades without a match-5. I can think of 2 thing which can cause this: either I'm missing the match 5 or the AI counts in the rows above the board too. So far I went with me being unobservant, but i'm not so sure now. Those crazy AI cascades recently and this matter seem to correlate.
  • shteev
    Options
    HunMike wrote:
    I haven't encountered this yet, but the opposite several times: sometimes the AI rewards itself with a plus turn. It usually occurs after cascades without a match-5. I can think of 2 thing which can cause this: either I'm missing the match 5 or the AI counts in the rows above the board too. So far I went with me being unobservant, but i'm not so sure now. Those crazy AI cascades recently and this matter seem to correlate.

This one I've watched out pretty carefully for, and it can usually be put down to the fact that you didn't make the move yourself; perhaps a Nissa's Pilgrimage, Chandra's 'Flameshot' ability or Sword of the Animist caused it.

However I can't swear that that bug isn't there, especially if you've witnessed it multiple times.

What we could do with is some video footage of it happening...
  • Pqmtg-
    Pqmtg- Posts: 282
    Options
    moogus wrote:
    Match 5 doesn't apply for cascades as a result of spell effects or triggered abilities, only from chains you manually started.

Shteev plays a lot and I think he knows this, so I believe what he means is that he matches 5, takes half an hour for harness to finish it's nonsense... And realises that the AI doesn't give him another go.
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    HunMike wrote:

It counts same-color match-3's that are adjacent or diagonally connected as match-6's giving extra turns. Like the red:

manablack.pngmanablue.pngmanagreen.pngmanared.pngmanared.pngmanared.png
    manared.pngmanared.pngmanared.pngmanawhite.pngmanablue.pngmanablack.png
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,231 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    majincob wrote:
    HunMike wrote:

It counts same-color match-3's that are adjacent or diagonally connected as match-6's giving extra turns. Like the red:

manablack.pngmanablue.pngmanagreen.pngmanared.pngmanared.pngmanared.png
    manared.pngmanared.pngmanared.pngmanawhite.pngmanablue.pngmanablack.png

Wow, that's crazy. I always thought things looked suspicious, but figured I was imagining it.
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    So far I noticed the additional turn is given by:
    - match 5
    - two match 3 of the same color paired at the same time

Both the cases above give additional turn if they happen instantly or during a cascade started by a player match but not if the cascade is started by other means such as gem destruction or gem color change.

So a harness loop can't give additional turns in itself for istance.

Regarding the initial opener question well I can't specifically recall a legit additional turn being lost cause of cascade, harness loop or whatever but can definitely be the case.

It could very well be a coding oversight like "you made a 5 match so you have additional turn. The harness triggers a 5 match for additional turn but wait that should not be counted so we remove the additional turns to occur. That would remove the original one too".

This could also explain the rarity of it occurring.

This reasoning is just out of nowhere based on my old times coding during studies.
    It could very well be non existant at all.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    shteev wrote:
    P.S. Speeded up token spawning animation sure would be nice now. Or do we have to buy Olivia in order to win fast?

You can tap the card to clear it faster. I just figured that out today.
  • Pqmtg-
    Options
    Buret0 wrote:
    shteev wrote:

I'll save you the pain of the next discovery by informing you about the bug that sometimes comes up when you do that.

Sometimes, the card will not be dismissed and instead stay there forever, effectively locking the game and forcing you to quit.
  • Nitymp
    Nitymp Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I had a match as Koth once where i made a match 5 as my first action in the game. This resulted in about a 30 second cascade (shocking for koth right?) where i dumped 3 creatures on the board and was expecting a second match but nope, it went straight to the AI instead.
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Pqmtg- wrote:
    Buret0 wrote:
    shteev wrote:

I'll save you the pain of the next discovery by informing you about the bug that sometimes comes up when you do that.

Sometimes, the card will not be dismissed and instead stay there forever, effectively locking the game and forcing you to quit.
    The freeze only happens for drawn cards not token summons I believe. And it only happens if you tap too far to the left onto your hand bar. So to avoid it always tap on the right side of the card/screen.
  • shteev
    Options
    Buret0 wrote:
    shteev wrote:

I've been doing that for months icon_e_smile.gif We now live in a world tho where the most efficient beatdown creature in the game is 4 1/1 tokens for 4 mana that you can potentially cast multiple times a turn; and then they usually die before they can attack twice. I seem to spend a lot of my time watching Red Devils coming into play.

Pqmtg- wrote:

Interesting. This I have not come across yet.
  • shteev
    Options
    Nitymp wrote:
    I had a match as Koth once where i made a match 5 as my first action in the game. This resulted in about a 30 second cascade (shocking for koth right?) where i dumped 3 creatures on the board and was expecting a second match but nope, it went straight to the AI instead.

I wonder if this is related to a bug that still exists from the earliest builds of the game; activated and trapped gems that stop working once they've been on the board for too long. I wonder if there is some kind of queue of triggered game actions (similar to 'the stack' in paper MTG), and maybe there is a maximum number of objecst it can hold, so it can sometimes max out and old effects are lost?

Probably a bit of a longshot, but, yknow, it's always worth trying to tell the dev team how to do their jobs, it worked for Devour in Flames, didn't it?

This might be an Android problem rather than one in the code for the game, as I've noticed games with stacks or queues maxing out at different numbers on different devices before. Well, alright, just one game, Ascension:Challenge of the Godslayer on Android. it's very easy to see on that game as there is a maximum number of cards which can be selecetd by you the player, which glow to indicate that you can use them.
  • Pqmtg-
    Options
    Pqmtg- wrote:
    Buret0 wrote:
    shteev wrote:

The freeze only happens for drawn cards not token summons I believe. And it only happens if you tap too far to the left onto your hand bar. So to avoid it always tap on the right side of the card/screen.

It happens for me using Gideon 2's second skill.
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Pqmtg- wrote:
    Pqmtg- wrote:
    Buret0 wrote:

Hmm, is it in combination with anything else? I have yet to have that happen to me. Are you on a tablet?
  • shteev
    Options
    Pqmtg- wrote:
    Pqmtg- wrote:

Maybe it's specific to him? I almost never use G2.
  • Pqmtg-
    Options
    Hmm, is it in combination with anything else? I have yet to have that happen to me. Are you on a tablet?

On a phone. But I played allied deck a lot in qb and had it only freeze in me 3-4 times, so it probably isn't common.

Most recent was during an event about 3 weeks ago.
  • Reaganstorme
    Reaganstorme Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Recorded in the Shadows Over Innistrad Buglist. Please head to that thread to like the original post and make it a Hot Topic. Thankyou.