Tilikum
Tilikum Posts: 159
edited September 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Breathtaking...
Sorin.png

Comments

• Rootbreaker
    Options
    In case you're actually interested in his story...

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/co ... ry-archive

You can search for Sorin to get a list of stories he's in.
  • Tilikum
    Options
    Thanks. I actually nerded out and read a lot of that when he was first available. I can't wait to see him in action with Olivia in the mix now.

I just thought it was hilarious that the devs didn't, like, copy and paste that.
  • glggwp
    glggwp Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    just curious, is the mtg lore worth reading in general? i feel quite disconnected by just playing the game...
  • Tilikum
    Options
    I think it's at least worth checking out. One of my favorite aspects of MTG was trying to piece together the story by looking through all the different cards.

I remember reading Latulla quotes on a few different cards and then finally getting her and being like "Latulla's a chick? Riotous!" Then I would go make a failed attempt at an ollie...
  • Rootbreaker
    Options
    glggwp wrote:
    just curious, is the mtg lore worth reading in general? i feel quite disconnected by just playing the game...
    I enjoy it. I'd start with the BFZ stuff, as it leads to the formation of the gatewatch, who were also involved in the SOI story and will be involved in many stories in the future.
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Personally I liked the MTG story much more before the Justice League debuted. Before there were new stories for each plane visited, now it's just one long drawn out story that seems too forced.
  • paralistalon
    Options
    The story is pretty cool and goes back for 20 year's worth of sets! The original story focused on Urza and later Gerard and friends piecing together the legacy. Planeswalkers used to be almost Gods, but the writers wanted the story to start revolving around them as recurring characters since they can travel around to all the different planes, so they created a story arc where all the planeswalkers came together and weakened their powers (they tried to pass it off as it made the multiverse too unstable with so many omnipotent beings or something). Nicol Bolas is kind of the ultimate bad guy behind the scenes who is still pretty powerful but is upset he lost his God-like powers. The Phyrexians have always been the traditional black-aligned threat to the multiverse bad guys. I think it was Yawgmoth who made them? Anyways, they were destroyed but a drop of phyrexian oil made it onto the artifact plane of Mirrodin and ended with the Phyrexians taking over the plane and now being aligned with all five colors. They're like The Borg who want to assimilate all life. I'm sure Bolas was behind all of that.
  • huntly
    Options
    If you are interested in the story this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiverse_(Magic:_The_Gathering)is a good place to start. Gives you a general overview of the lore without getting too in depth. From there you can delve deeper. I'm not a big reader and it's a long story so this is a good jumping off point to research parts that intrest me.
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ZW2007- wrote:
    Personally I liked the MTG story much more before the Justice League debuted. Before there were new stories for each plane visited, now it's just one long drawn out story that seems too forced.

why is Superman in mtg?
  • Feagul
    Feagul Posts: 114
    Options
    glggwp wrote:
    In my opinion, it isn't--especially the Jace stuff (and there's a lot of that). The little quips in flavor text were consistently on point in spite of the overall story arc disappointing, however.
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    A lot of the Magic Lore is available in audio form through the Unspoken Realms podcast:

https://unspokenrealms.wordpress.com/