Is 4* Thor Still Worth Champing?

Sluggo
Sluggo Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
edited September 2016 in MPQ Character Discussion
The clock is ticking on my Th4r and I'm looking for feedback on her. Here's my situation:

My 4* Thoress is currently sitting at 12 covers (5/4/3). Yesterday, I got a dupe red out of my daily resupply, the first of 5 guaranteed covers coming for her in the next two months. So I need to quickly decide whether she's worth champing or not.

I have enough ISO to champ one 4* this month. In addition to my Th4r, I have a max covered but softcapped XFW, Nick Fury and Prof X. Hot on their heels, my Iceman, XFDP, Cyclops and Quake all have 10 covers, who would all make good 4* champ material.

So basically, I'm looking for some thoughts on the merits of Th4r in the current meta. 340k ISO is a big deal, and I want to spend it wisely. How useful is she these days for PvE and PvP? (I'm more PvE-focused, but interested in both.) Would you champ her? Would you champ one of my other max-covered 4*s instead? Or save the ISO for one of the other heavy hitters?

Thanks!

Comments

• Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    Yes, especially with 5 covers coming in soon. IM40/4Thor is a great combo. She's a monster when boosted as well. XF, Fury, and ProfX are not worth your iso right now.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thor is pretty good paired with Iron Man 40, actually. She's not top tier, but she's one of the better mid-tier fourstars.
    I wouldn't rush to champ her, but you shouldn't hesitate if the opportunity artists.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    4Thor is my only champed 4*, and she is my primary go-to in PvE. She has a deep health pool that lets her churn through PvE nodes with minimal health packs when you combo her with IM40.

When it's her boost week, 1K in PvP is laughably easy. She demolishes PvE when boosted as well. She's a self-fueling monster once you get that initial Recharge out of the way.

Champ her and don't regret it. She is not what she was in her heyday from the sounds of the forums, but she's at least on the cusp of top tier even if she's not necessarily top tier. She stands head and shoulders above Nick, XFW, and Professor X in my humble opinion. Iceman may be the tip top of the 4* tier, but she can still take him on reliably even when they're both boosted.

To me, the tough choice would be trying to choose between champing IMHB, Rulk, and 4Thor. The 3 you have softcapped or Thor? Not even close. Thor.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    hell-yeah-gif.gif
  • Sluggo
    Sounds like a lot of positive votes for Th4r. Thanks for the feedback! icon_e_smile.gif

When you pair Th4r with IM40 in PVE, is there a popular go-to choice for a third teammate?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sluggo wrote:
    Sounds like a lot of positive votes for Th4r. Thanks for the feedback! icon_e_smile.gif

When you pair Th4r with IM40 in PVE, is there a popular go-to choice for a third teammate?
    I like Mohawk Storm, her green is even more efficient with charged tiles on the board.
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    Sluggo wrote:

A purple, green, or black power is nice to run with that combo. 3Storm's green is probably your best bet to collect AP. Loki is a decent third too.
  • Sandwichboy
    Sandwichboy Posts: 193 Tile Toppler
    Aside from being a strong mid tier 4*, she scales extremely well when she's boosted. Paired with IM40 during a boosted week, she can one shot almost any 4* and even mostly leveled 5*s. She's even more attractive now long term thanks to Black Bolt.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    Quebbster wrote:
    Sluggo wrote:

I like Mohawk Storm, her green is even more efficient with charged tiles on the board.
    Echoing what Quebbster says here. Mohawk is a phenomenal third for Thor because IM40's Recharge benefits them both highly, and it becomes quasi-Winfinite cycling through Storm's green and Thor's red/blue.

Otherwise, pulling a strong boosted character who uses green or purple from the list of 3*s is not a bad idea either. KK makes a stellar partner in a pinch. Tread a little more lightly with black AP users since IM40 doesn't do anything to help them. I wouldn't rely on BP as a third, for example, but if all you can pull along is a black user, it's not going to kill you. You just won't focus on trying to get black.

As an interesting aside, even though IF *technically* completes the rainbow (since his black is passive), he's probably best to avoid when rolling Thor/IM40 because his purple will generate black that directly competes with Thor's charged tile generation by removing your red/blue/yellow tiles that you can charge.
  • padei_panda
    padei_panda Posts: 55 Match Maker
    I champed 4Thor 2 months ago and do not regret it!
    Even though she is not one of the top 5.

I now play 4Thor/IM for 95%+ PVE and PVP matches. (Was previously Cage/IF/Switch)
    Get 6 yellow and 6 blue and you pretty much have won.
    I wished I researched more because for my third, I use Kingpin (in case of a yellow try board), but reading the opinions, MoStorm is a really good option. [I already champed Kingpin! But I had excess ISO from shield rank and the LT gave me a 5* so it worked out okay]

So I say do it, speaking of my own experience, she is a very good 4* to start with. It has certainly opened doors for me in terms of 4* transition.
  • dokiy
    dokiy Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Yup. I championed her about 2 weeks ago and was happy to do it. As others have said, pair her with IM 40 and watch opponents go down. She is one of few (the only??) characters who's attacks get stronger the more you use them. Even non-boosted with the right AP amounts you can do 16K damage with her red.

I pair her, IM40, and X-23 together. Strike tiles with LThor damage? Hooboy!
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    worth champing? absolutely. worth spending cp on cover 13 to use a cover? nope.

popular 3rds for 4thor/im40 include the already mentioned mostorm and loki along with kk, QS, 3bullseye, and witch. later on, any of the green/purple guys - jean, ice, rulk, x23 can work well with them too. quake to a lesser extent, but definitely quake against any aoe.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    TxMoose is right. She's still good and worth having as a champ. But she is also not someone to direct buy or whale.

I would add that her value is indirectly proportional to the depth of your 4* roster. Because she isn't the best 4* out there, and because her best partners include 3*s, she is much more valuable as a first 4* champ than as a 15th. Even so, I think she is worth champing if you have the chance. There are relatively few uncapped damage attacks in 4* land (4*thor red, Punmax Black, Flaptain Red, GR Black, and maybe one or two that I am forgetting), and they can all be very useful against overleveled PVE opponents or for boss fights where attacks that do 25 or even 50k+ damage in a single hit can be quite useful.
  • Sluggo
    At the moment, she'd be my fourth 4* champ, so it seems like I'd get good value out of her for a few months. Two of my other current champs are X-23 and Rulk -- both purple/green users -- so now this thread has gotten me psyched at the idea of an IM40/Th4r/Rulk or IM40/Th4r/X23 team. And MoStorm seems like she'd be an awesome third as well.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    when boosted, her damage output gets nutso with im40. not really great in pvp because AI doesn't play it right, but she owns pve when shes boosted. I even sit my 405 OML for her this week when nodes scale beyond one big green from rulk. then she finishes things off after im40 stuff goes off.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    I know it's pretty much been answered, but

YES.

She is 2nd tier unboosted (falls behind IMHB, 4clops, Peggy for red/blue users), but I think she may be the best red/blue user when boosted, especially when paired with IM40.
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    YES and definitely add her! PvE's hardest nodes have become a lot easier with 4hor + IM40
  • LuciferianX
    LuciferianX Posts: 163 Tile Toppler
    Is she?

Hell yes.

TGT (as many have said so this is largely a support vote) is a rock star for many circumstances. She's durable, she can lock down just about anybody and is one of the few characters I've seen solo in PVP. Yep. 3 of them, one Jane Foster. Blue -> Red -> Down, rinse, repeat. If IM40 is out and the board is heavy on yellow, that's 3 more charge tiles from her (overpriced) yellow.

You can't really go wrong.
  • Thorin radd
    Thorin radd Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
    I am in a Similar Situation

The Debate is 4Thor or Nova.
    Two covers in each in que
    Both Expire within hours of each other
    Here are My pros and Cons for Both
    Thor Pros
    Huge when Boosted
    Stuns are key in both areas of game PVE and PVP
    Lots of Health

Thor Cons (Same Color Scheme)
    Peggy is the better of the Red, Blue Color Scheme stunner
    4Clops is also a Self Feeder Better.
    Flaptain as well has a Good Support passive
    Without IM40 Not that great

Nova Pros

Strike Tiles and a Stun (kind of) Good damage
    good support with other 4s and 5s
    Flexible
    5 red, 5 yellow and 5 black are are playable

Nova Cons

Weak health.
    Same Colors as OML

So Who would you Choose?
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am in a Similar Situation

The Debate is 4Thor or Nova.
    Two covers in each in que
    Both Expire within hours of each other
    Here are My pros and Cons for Both
    Thor Pros
    Huge when Boosted
    Stuns are key in both areas of game PVE and PVP
    Lots of Health

Thor Cons (Same Color Scheme)
    Peggy is the better of the Red, Blue Color Scheme stunner
    4Clops is also a Self Feeder Better.
    Flaptain as well has a Good Support passive
    Without IM40 Not that great

Nova Pros

Strike Tiles and a Stun (kind of) Good damage
    good support with other 4s and 5s
    Flexible
    5 red, 5 yellow and 5 black are are playable

Nova Cons

Weak health.
    Same Colors as OML

So Who would you Choose?

If you have IM40 champed or close to it, go 4Thor. Even unboosted, Thor's extra charged tile damage can get you doing 10k+ per red pretty quickly with a recharge or two.

If he's not rostered or weak for whatever reason, I'd pick Nova. He's fast even on his own, and having the same color scheme as OML is actually a plus - it lets you have OML tank for him, which alleviates the low health issue, and you can leave OML in passive mode while Nova drops strikes all over the place and throws fools airborne.