Recommended tweeks to OP cards

Options
jimilinho_
jimilinho_ Posts: 292
edited September 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Just an FYI - Seasons Past is getting changes in the next version. It is currently overtuned.

I am also looking at Ulvenwald Hydra.

So this was posted earlier and we know runaway carriage is getting changed soon(ish) too. Obviously changes to these cards are needed but equally you don't want them to become unplayable.

My ideas for resolving this situation is the following amendments (let me know what you guys think!)

Runaway carriage: Just change the wording so it reads when this cards blocks or becomes blocked it loses prevent damage. Card remains strong but somewhat easier to deal with (no unstoppable blocker!)

Seasons past: Just change this so it exiles itself when cast. Again still remains very good but stops 2 copies looping.

Ulvenwald Hydra: Pretty insane card but again just changing the wording to whenever 'you' match green gems at least gives people the chance to keep it under control.

Personally think this would keep things balanced whilst allowing those cards to still see plenty of play.

Comments

• Mcjordan
    Mcjordan Posts: 82 Match Maker
    Options
    If they implemented that change to hydra, I would think it needs a buff to stats. Often I will play it and rely on the opponent to match green (if I was unlucky off the hydra green gem conversion) to buff it out of instant death range. If it became a 4/4 where only you could buff it, it would be good but not OP.
  • Plastic
    Plastic Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think Hydra is fine honestly. Removal is cheap enough to deal with it and all colors have removal.
  • glggwp
    glggwp Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Plastic wrote:
    I think Hydra is fine honestly. Removal is cheap enough to deal with it and all colors have removal.
    sorta agree. hydra is op solely because of seasons past
  • Pqmtg-
    Pqmtg- Posts: 282
    Options
    glggwp wrote:
    Plastic wrote:
    sorta agree. hydra is op solely because of seasons past

That's not true.

The hydra hits the board early, and grows into "draw a spot removal or concede" mode relatively quickly even if we took season's past out of the picture. Nissa renewal and awakening will happily bump it up to a game ending threat within the first few turns.
  • Nitymp
    Nitymp Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think the only change needed to hydra is just its mana cost. It usually pays for itself when it enters and even more so on subsequent turns from generating green gems.