Saheeli vs Runaway Carriage

Options
alextfish
alextfish Posts: 192
edited September 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Is there any way at all for Saheeli's deck to beat a Runaway Carriage with vigilance+ flying or reach?

Isn't it rather ridiculous? The devs say they made RC to shake up the metagame and force people to play some defenders. So we're all carefully building our decks to include Scions, or defenders, or untargeted non-damage-based removal, or True-Faith Censer.

And then we play an event with an unmodifiable deck built by those same devs... which includes absolutely 0 ways to handle RC. Exert Influence is a good candidate for second-most-defining card of the metagame, but it doesn't work on RC (hexproof). Nor do Brutal Expulsion (hexproof) or Chandra's Ignition (damage). Nor do any of her loyalty abilities.

The closest thing to an answer is Pia and Kiran's activated ability, to very slowly and unreliably burn the face. While being smacked for 6-8+ by RC which we can't block due to the deck including 0 defenders. This from the devs who say they want the metagame to include more defenders.

Just... What the blankety blank were they thinking?

Comments

• Pacone
    Options
    The carriage obvously needs fixing, but in the meantime I'm fine with it as long as we are all on the same grounds.

That is, we all play the same saheeli deck against a field of carriages.

So far I've never faced a vigilant carriage WITH FLYING, so always won jumping over it with massive thopters.

I don't think many people play Gideon BF, which is a mistake given the current "meta"
  • Arcannyx
    Options
    Pacone wrote:

I don't think many people play Gideon BF, which is a mistake given the current "meta"

My Support choice was G1 running Starfield (7 supports). But I don't own RC.

And yes, I just lost to one in the event. Carriage buffed for flying and Vigilance against Rai's deck.
  • Pacone
    Options
    I mean Gideon BF is good also against carriage
  • Plastic
    Plastic Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Pacone wrote:
    The carriage obvously needs fixing, but in the meantime I'm fine with it as long as we are all on the same grounds.

So far I've never faced a vigilant carriage WITH FLYING, so always won jumping over it with massive thopters.

We're all on the same grounds in terms of having a chance to fight this combo but not everyone will because of the matchmaking differences. If literally everyone had to fight a G1 RC deck an equal amount of times, then it would be "fair" or "same grounds."
  • Pqmtg-
    Pqmtg- Posts: 282
    Options
    Plastic wrote:
    Pacone wrote:

We're all on the same grounds in terms of having a chance to fight this combo but not everyone will because of the matchmaking differences. If literally everyone had to fight a G1 RC deck an equal amount of times, then it would be "fair" or "same grounds."

Expected value.

It's fair.
  • Plastic
    Options
    Pqmtg- wrote:

Expected value.

It's fair.

Guess we'll just have to disagree then. I don't think they should've released an event like this without fixing RC first.

Keep in mind my issue with RC is tied into the fact we're stuck with the preconstructed Saheeli deck. If I had control over which cards are in my deck and still lost due to bad draws or something, I wouldn't be as upset. **** happens.

RC is a powerful card, but it's tolerable when players can build around such potential threats.
  • Pacone
    Options
    Besides, the AI is not very good taking advantage of RC, as far as I know
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,230 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The AI's propensity to spam its first ability is why it's so easy for it to get setup with flying RC.
  • Pqmtg-
    Options
    Plastic wrote:
    Pqmtg- wrote:

Expected value.

It's fair.

Guess we'll just have to disagree then. I don't think they should've released an event like this without fixing RC first.

Keep in mind my issue with RC is tied into the fact we're stuck with the preconstructed Saheeli deck. If I had control over which cards are in my deck and still lost due to bad draws or something, I wouldn't be as upset. tinykitty happens.

RC is a powerful card, but it's tolerable when players can build around such potential threats.

That's not what I'm saying. I too agree they should have fixed RC first. I'm simply pointing out that just because not everyone meets RC the same number of times doesn't mean it's not fair.
  • Plastic
    Options
    Pqmtg- wrote:

That's not what I'm saying. I too agree they should have fixed RC first. I'm simply pointing out that just because not everyone meets RC the same number of times doesn't mean it's not fair.

I see what you're saying.

There's just too much #feelsbadman **** going on with this event when they could've fixed the RC. Oh well.
  • Pqmtg-
    Options
    Plastic wrote:
    Pqmtg- wrote:

I see what you're saying.

There's just too much #feelsbadman **** going on with this event when they could've fixed the RC. Oh well.

You want to see pure chaos? This place will implode if they fix RC mid event haha.
  • Soiopenguin
    Options
    Just lost my second game to Gideon battleforged runaway carriage with the saheeli deck. It's getting extremely frustrating. On cool he played that and is at 4 loyalty. I have 2 - 3 turns to win. Oh everything I have costs 25? Nvm
  • Pacone
    Options
    Oh yes, and no card in your deck can push through.

Wait, you can brutal expulsion your opponent to death! icon_e_confused.gif
  • Pqmtg-
    Options
    Pacone wrote:
    Oh yes, and no card in your deck can push through.

Wait, you can brutal expulsion your opponent to death! icon_e_confused.gif

Not if he only has the RC haha.
  • Lightcell
    Lightcell Posts: 78 Match Maker
    Options
    I never came across this at all in any of my battles. Usually Gideon targets my creatures with his abilities.