Kiora, Master of the Depths :Official Thread

Comments

• Reaganstorme
    Reaganstorme Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    You're probably better off runing Nissa's Pilgrimage instead of Yavimaya Coast. The change to blue is good in theory, but can have the side effect of breaking potential green matches.

Your supports are cheap anyway, so consider any of the following to replace Herald of the Pantheon: Bounding Krasis, Deepfathom Skulker, Jhessian Thief, Jori En Ruin Diver, Sigiled Starfish.
  • PapiLouis4 wrote:
    Oath of Jace is fantastic with Sphinx's Tutelage. Cue Kiora mana denial deck!

Creatures (2):
    Jori En, Ruin Diver
    Soulblade Djinn

Spells (5):
    Artificer's Epiphany
    Stratus Walk
    Scatter to the Winds
    Talent of the Telepath
    Anchor to the Æther

Supports (3):
    Prism Array
    Sphinx's Tutelage
    Oath of Jace

Priority of cards: Sphinx's Tutelage --> Oath of Jace --> Soulblade Djinn --> Jori En.

I'd trade JoriEn for a Starfish here. Even if JoriEn is your killer (via Djinn buffs).

I'll explain. JoriEn is a 4/5 for 10, while Starfish is a 3/5 for 8. While you lose 1 damage, Starfish only requires a 3:mtggreen: / manablue.png plus any three match (6+3), while JoriEn, costing 10, will require at least two 3 managreen.png / manablue.png matches (or one managreen.png / manablue.png plus two more from other color).

Even if you have access to Kiora's 1st, you will always be able to play Starfish with her 1st plus any match (Apart from loyalty of course), while JoriEn will only be droppable in a single turn if there's also a 3 managreen.png / manablue.png match somewhere in the board, something that doesn't happen sometimes. On card-draw based decks, you want to keep costs as low as possible, to increase free slots and card rotation for Sphynx.

Another Choice, if you have it. Add a Managorger Hydra or Noyan Dar (this last is dificult to get, but is a beast once dropped). Djinns buffs are temporary, while Noyan's and Hydra's are permanent, so they will grow up to become very nasty things. Also, Hydra has an 8 cost, so you can drop her the same way as the Starfish above

I've also been running Mantle of Webs lately (I have Network, though) as defense, and works wonders. Since it's sometimes difficult to drop an Æther unless it's early game or you have one "saved" so you can drop it immediately the next turn the oponent casts a creature so it has a slot left, I required some other way to "deal" with something the oponent might drop. It comboes perfectly fith "permabuff creatures" (Hydras, Noyan Dar, Network) so they double up as massive walls for the enemy units to crash into.
  • Hi everyone! I'm new to the forums and I've been playing this game off and on for awhile now. Lately I've been playing Kiora when I picked her up a few weeks ago and when I got lucky and pulled a Ulvenwald Hydra from a fat pack. This guy in this deck is insane!!!! Here's what I'm running, any suggestions would be awesome! So far this deck has been a tank and works amazing!

Ulvenwald Hydra
    Mizzium Meddler

Animist's Awakening
    Clutch of Currents
    Scatter to the Winds
    Talent if the Telepath

Prism Array
    Sphinx's Tutelage
    Fertile Thicket
    Nissa's Pilgrimage

Early game i just try to get supports on board while playing Scatters and CoC's til I get the Hydra and a Animist's. It's usually game right there, especially with a Prism and Tutelage in play. The Hydras gem conversion paired with a Animist's leads to insane amounts of green cascades and with a prism in play you usually just keep cycling into more and more Animist's and Hydra's with the Hydra just getting ridiculously huge! Miz is in there just for an extra body and mana denial.
  • Reaganstorme
    @Yorien666 - Thanks for the commentary. Wish i had Managorger Hydra, but I do have Noyan. Tried him for a bit but he was too expensive in the early game. Will try this again with Sigiled Starfish instead of Jori En.

Now that Shadows Over Innistrad is out, I'll see if there are any other adjustments i can make, through your comment about Mantle of Webs is noted. Swap it in for Anchor maybe?
  • Reaganstorme
    edited September 2016
    Cross posted from the Silverfur Partisan discussion:

Here's my Kiora Silverfur deck. I got lucky in the green packs and unlocked Animist's Awakening which replaced Sylvan Scrying.

Creatures (1):
    Silverfur Partisan

Spells (6):
    Animist's Awakening
    Swell of Growth
    Gather the Pack
    Aim High
    Helm of the Gods
    Wild Instincts

Supports (3):
    Prism Array
    Trail of Evidence
    Part the Waterveil

All the spells will either target Silverfur Partisan and buff +4/+4 directly (SoG, GtP, AH, WI) or will create green gems to try to trigger cascades (NC and AA). Both Prism Array and Part the Waterveil are present to take benefit of the green cascades you will be creating. Zendicar's Roil is a cheaper and more consistent option if you have it. Prism Array and Trail of Evidence are both there to draw you more spells.
  • I don't know if there are a full list of level cost and gain on Kiora but I have had problem finding one so I made my own after buying her. This is what I came up with.

The end result of -160'730 r(rune) quite shocked me.

Kiora, Master of the Depths

L1
    -150 r
    5 min

W -1 G +1 R -1 B -1 U +1

Creature 2 Spells 5 Support 3

L2
    -260 r
    Blue +1

L3
    -360 r
    Hp +2

L4
    -450 r
    Creature +1

L5
    -540 r
    Hp +2

L6
    -620 r
    Crashing Waves L1
    6 LP
    Drain 3 mana from your opponent and gain 3 mana.

L7
    -680 r
    Hp +2

L8
    -730 r
    Support +1

L9
    -790 r
    Hp +2

L10
    -820 r
    Green +1

L11
    -860 r
    Hp +2

L12
    -930 r
    Swirling Waters L1
    12 LP
    Fetch the next creature from your library. It gains 3 mana.

L13
    -1'000 r
    Hp +2

L14
    -1'070 r
    Spell +1

L15
    -1'140 r
    Hp +2

L16
    -1'210 r
    Regen +
    5 min

L17
    -1'280 r
    Hp +2

L18
    -1'340 r
    From the Depths L1
    24 LP
    Summon 1 8/8 Blue Octopus with Reach and Trample.

L19
    -1'410 r
    Hp +2

L20
    -1'480 r
    Black +1

L21
    -1'540 r
    Hp +2

L22
    -1'610 r
    Creature +1

L23
    -1'680 r
    Hp +2

L24
    -1'740 r
    Crashing Waves L2
    6LP
    Drain 4 mana from your opponent and gain 4 mana.

L25
    -1'810 r
    Hp +2

L26
    -1'870 r
    Support +1

L27
    -1'940 r
    Hp +2

L28
    -2'000 r
    White +1

L29
    -2'070 r
    Hp +2

L30
    -2'130 r
    Swirling Waters L2
    12LP
    Fetch the next creature from your library. It gains 6 mana.

L31
    -2'190 r
    Hp +3

L32
    -2'260 r
    Spell +1

L33
    -2'320 r
    Hp +3

L34
    -2'380 r
    Regen +
    5 min

L35
    -2'450 r
    Hp +3

L36
    -2'510 r
    From the Depths L2
    24LP
    Summon 2 8/8 Blue Octopi with Reach and Trample.

L37
    -2'570 r
    Hp +3

L38
    -2'640 r
    Red +1

L39
    -2'700 r
    Hp +3

L40
    -2'760 r
    Crashing Waves L3
    6LP
    Drain 5 mana from your opponent and gain 5 mana.

L41
    -2'820 r
    Hp +3

L42
    -2'890 r
    Creature +1

L43
    -2'950 r
    Hp +3

L44
    -3'010 r
    Support +1

L45
    -3'070 r
    Hp +3

L46
    -3'130 r
    Swirling Waters L3
    12LP
    Fetch the next creature from your library. It gains 12 mana.

L47
    -3'190
    Hp +3

L48
    -3'250 r
    Green +1

L49
    -3'320 r
    Hp +3

L50
    -3'680 r
    Spell +1

L51
    -4'160 r
    Hp +3

L52
    -4'760 r
    From the Depths L3
    24LP
    Summon 3 8/8 Blue Octopi with Reach and Trample.

L53
    -5'480 r
    Hp +3

L54
    -6'320 r
    Blue +1

L55
    -7'290 r
    Hp +3

L56
    -8'360 r
    Crashing Waves L4
    6LP
    Drain 6 mana from your opponent and gain 6 mana.

L57
    -9'560 r
    Hp +3

L58
    -10'880 r
    Swirling Waters L4
    12LP
    Fetch the next creature from your library. It gains 16 mana.

L59
    -12'320 r
    Hp +3

L60
    From the Depths L4
    24LP
    Summon 4 8/8 Blue Octopi with Reach and Trample.

End result

-160'730 r

W 0 G +3 R 0 B 0 U +3

Creature 5 Spells 8 Support 6

Crashing Waves L4
    6LP
    Drain 6 mana from your opponent and gain 6 mana.

Swirling Waters L4
    12LP
    Fetch the next creature from your library. It gains 16 mana.

From the Depths L4
    24LP
    Summon 4 8/8 Blue Octopi with Reach and Trample.
  • Here are my deck. A spell heavy deck with Nissa's Revelation for health and a new hand.

Creature:
    Managorger Hydra
    Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper

Spells:
    Shard of Broken Glass
    Stratus Walk
    Natural Connection
    Plummet
    Adverse Conditions
    Reclaiming Vines
    Mantle of Webs
    Nissa's Revelation

My play style:
    Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper will grow fast and Mantle of Webs makes a solid defender. I got Stratus Walk mostly for can trip and the neat combo with Plummet to get a cheap 7 mana remover. I also use Mantle of Webs to throw on a slippery unblockable or a menace you can't deal with, but that is if you can't get the combo off. Adverse Conditions gives good stall and Shard of Broken Glass makes your Scion hurt more as well as giving more mana for other cards. Reclaiming Vines will help to get rid of some Claustrophobia, Supression Bonds and other annoying supports. Nissa's Revelation as stated gives health and cards when in a bind or when you have used up your hand. Managorger Hydra is mostly a small Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper and works as a stepping stone to Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper as well as giving a small buffer in case they manage to remove Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper. I don't have much to say about Natural Connection since I just changed out my Sigil of Valor for it, it indirectly gives mana and help buff your creatures.
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975
    This is my "Kiora Holmes" deck.
    This deck is meant to be fun for all people that like synergy, mana drain and draw cards.

zwgMGKo.jpg

At first look could seem random stuff but everything has a reason

The first thing(probably the most important) is that clues are considered support. While their coming in play is not considered as a support being played towards most card effects, their expiration(both on their own or popped by a gem match) is considered support destruction.

This leads to:
    - Daring sleuth will transform cause of clues. He will then be able to produce more clues.
    - ulvenwald mysteries will spawn a human token cause of clues.
    - oath of Jace does work with clues. This means mana drain.

- Sigarda is a very good card for its mana cost and fits the deck in many ways.
    It produces Humans, the same humans as ulvenwald(so they stack).
    It protects those humans and daring sleuth with hexproof(not that much helpful most of the time but it's there).
    It has flying and vigilance so very good at defending. This helps cause the setup of the deck is very slow.

- tamiyo journal as initial card draw through investigate. Guaranteed synergy when all is set
    - gone missing. Removal with investigate. Nothing to add.
    - oath of Jace. Draw to get the setup done and drains through clue spawn.
    - ongoing investigation. More clues on creatures attack.
    - Sphinx tutelage. All these clues mean drawing like crazy. That means mana cost increase like crazy.
    - zendikar resurgent. Mana ramp. Oh wait all those clues generate creatures? I WANT TO DRAW MORE! icon_lol.gif
    - talent of telepath. To go and get the car you are missing. This is the least fitting. The only other option fitting was "root out": support destroy and investigate. I think the deck has already some problems of slowness, a situational card could make it too slow.
    So what all this means?

When all is set you have:
    - an Angel with chance of spawning humans
    - a stack of humans
    - a transformed daring sleuth

Clues generated:
    - 3 from creature attack(ongoing investigation)
    - 1 more from daring sleuth transformed
    - 1 from tamiyo

Each of these clue will draw a card.
    Each of these clues will generate a human token.
    Each human token will make you draw a card(zendikar resurgent).
    Each clue will both drain mana when spawn(oath of Jace) and on expiration(draw->Sphinx tutelage).

Of course all of this means that even if you empty your hand each turn(exiling cards mostly) you will overdraw next turn losing some of the potential benefits.
    I find the deck quite fun to play and not even that bad at performance.

What's bad about the deck:
    - overall very slow.
    - only one creature removal.
    - no mass removal
    - sometimes you can't reinforce daring salute caus of no creature slot free.
    - you have to exile your hand if you want to lock your opponent mana when all is set.
    - the game tend to slow down cause of all the stuff on screen and animations on my iPhone 6.
    - the amount of token spawns will most likely freeze the UI sooner or later. It will be a "semi" ui freeze.
    Basically the zoomed token human will stay in middle of screen and you can't interact with the gems underneath it.
    You can still move the gem on bottom and on screen sides.
    You can even rearrange cards in hands somehow. But as soon as the only possible match involves gems you can't swap, you are stuck. :(
    If you are looking for some deck "out of the box" this is definitely worth trying icon_e_wink.gif
  • Reaganstorme
    Cross posted from the Silverfur Partisan discussion:

Here's my Kiora Silverfur deck. I got lucky in the green packs and unlocked Animist's Awakening which replaced Sylvan Scrying.

Creatures (1):
    Silverfur Partisan

Spells (6):
    Animist's Awakening
    Swell of Growth
    Gather the Pack
    Aim High
    Helm of the Gods
    Wild Instincts

Supports (3):
    Prism Array
    Trail of Evidence
    Part the Waterveil

All the spells will either target Silverfur Partisan and buff +4/+4 directly (SoG, GtP, AH, WI) or will create green gems to try to trigger cascades (NC and AA). Both Prism Array and Part the Waterveil are present to take benefit of the green cascades you will be creating. Zendicar's Roil is a cheaper and more consistent option if you have it. Prism Array and Trail of Evidence are both there to draw you more spells.

Reworked this to include the following changes.
    Out:
    • Gather the Pack
    • Wild Instincts
    • Part the Waterveil
    In:
    Sage works just as well as Silverfur Partisan, but both work better together! Cast a spell whilst Trail of Evidence is out, buff one or both at the same time. When the Investigate gem pops, Sage (or its transformed version, Werewolf of Ancient Hunger) will buff again. Rinse, repeat, Trample to victory!

I will probably replace TotT with Neglected Heirloom once i unlock it. Seems like it would fit in nicely.

Updated Deck:

Creatures (2):
    Sage of Ancient Lore
    Silverfur Partisan

Spells (6):
    Haunted Cloak
    Animist's Awakening
    Swell of Growth
    Aim High
    Helm of the Gods
    Talent of the Telepath

Supports (2):
    Prism Array
    Trail of Evidence
  • octal9
    octal9 Posts: 593 Critical Contributor
    Creatures (3):
    Sage of Ancient Lore
    Mizzium Meddler
    Forgotten Creation

Spells (5):
    Pore Over the Pages
    Broken Concentration
    Coastal Discovery
    Stratus Walk
    Mantle of Webs

Supports (2):
    Prism Array
    Sphinx's Tutelage

Sideboard:
    Silverfur Partisan for Forgotten Creation/Mizzium Meddler. The amount of card draw means you can dig out spells faster and since they're cheap, will drive Silverfur pretty quick. Can also toss in in Shard of Broken Glass, as you now get a +5/+4 card for just 1 mana (!!).
    Jace's Sanctum I don't own the card, but I'd put it in in a heartbeat - could replace Stratus Walk or Broken Concentration.
    Neglected Heirloom could work well here, werewolves tend to flip pretty fast.

The idea here is to simultaneously control & overwhelm the opponent. Spinx's Tutelage and Sage of Ancient Lore are core to the deck - everything else supports these two.

Pros:
    Lots of draw, helps root out the cards you need
    Constant mana drain on the opponent keeps you from having to deal with too many issues
    Deals with Runaway Carriage via Mantle of Webs
    Mantle of Webs prevents instant creature deaths from Inner Struggle

Cons:
    Can be slow due to being reliant on a specific combo - if you can't get Sphinx's Tutelage out, control over the opponent suffers
    No creature removal
    No support removal
    No mana ramp
    Weak to creature removal like Scour from Existence, Smite the Monstrous, etc
  • s79i6W3.png

Creatures (3):
    Prized Amalgam
    Sage Of Ancient Lore
    Forgotten Creation

Spells (7):
    WelcomeToTheFold
    AnchorToTheAether
    Catalog
    Disperse
    StratusWalk
    ArtificersEpiphany
    HauntedCloak

Pros:
    Lots of Draw, Fast Hand Refresh, Fast Casting.

Cons:
    Weak to Lockdown Supports.

Prized Amalgam : It return to play whenever 'Forgotten Creation' is played. even if it is discarded by 'Forgotten Creation'. use it for 'Catalog'.
    Sage Of Ancient Lore : Pump up by all other cards.
    Forgotten Creation : Discard your hand for 'Prized Amalgam' and 'Sage Of Ancient Lore'

Welcome To The Fold : If you discard other Cards by 'Forgotten Creation', it will get much mana and cast immediately.
    Catalog : Discard 'Prized Amalgam' or unusing cards and gather key cards.
    Anchor To The Aether, Disperse : Earn your time until your creatures grow up.
    StratusWalk, ArtificersEpiphany, HauntedCloak : use 2 times if you want to return of 'Sage Of Ancient Lore'.

Discard Unusing Cards. Transform Sage for more draw with your enemy.
  • Shadow-Mage
    Shadow-Mage Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Hello,

I recently got my Kiora up to level 60 and am running the below deck. It runs okay but is by far not my best work. Any advice on how to boost her efficiency and won rate would be appreciated. I have plenty of blue and Green but not many mythics that people like to use with her. Here is what I run and why:

Creatures
    Dwynen, Gilt-Leaf Daen: Reach with the ability to buff your creatures per turn
    Soul Swallower: If there isn't Green mana available it will grow fast and stomp all over defenders
    Herald of the Pantheon: lowers the cost of supports and to master it
    Honored Hierarch: Defender with mana scaling ability

Spells
    Talent of Telepath: Quick summon of low cost card or lowering the cost of a high cost card
    Welcome to the Fold: I don't have Exert Influence (though I wish I did) so I use this to nab my opponenets weaker creatures
    Turn to Frog: What you can't take from your opponent and use against them can be made into a 1/1. Then is gets squashed by your defender
    Tightening Coils: A new addition so that I can take my opponent's larger creatures by lowering their power (combo with welcom to the fold)

Supports
    Mirrorpool: My go to support (who doesn't like making creatures big for cheap or casting spells for free)
    Fevered Visions: Extra draw and extra hurt for your opponent

Any and all advice on how to boost the efficiency of this deck or build an entirely new one would be great. I threw this together haphazardly and it works about 60-65% of the time because I don't run a lot of mana ramp in it.
  • need help coming up with a decent kiora deck. I don't have any of the 'key' mythics that most people use, and few of the rares. As fate would have it the Event that awarded the Sage of Anicient Lore, I missed.
    I don't have undergrowth champ, noyan Dar, mirrorpool, sphinx of the final word, part the waterveil, Gaea's Revenge, ulvenweld hydra.

I was hoping to run her for my blue PW for the current nodes event.
  • Foznertep
    Foznertep Posts: 121 Tile Toppler
    I made a fun little deck for the small budget based on True Faith Censer, Ulvenwald Mysteries and a lot of Investigate and Humans. Drownyard Explorers for instance combine both. Prism Array is of course still pretty much a given. It was really nice to play, often I overwhelmed opponents even before I released the Kraken icon_e_wink.gif
    I recently got a Slayer's Plate, so I might revisit it some time in the future.
  • Just got Kiora (finally!) last week - here's a fun little beatdown deck.

Creatures (2):
    Thing in the Ice
    Aberrant Researcher

Spells (6):
    Day's Undoing
    Talent of the Telepath
    Animist's Awakening
    Turn to Frog
    Seek the Wilds
    Disperse

Supports (2):
    Trail of Evidence
    Nissa's Pilgrimage

Sideboard:
    Other low cost spells or supports, like Retreat to Corelheim for draw & disable, Coastal Discovery for extra card draw (though could be overdoing it), and Mirrorpool (though you have to be careful with the timing - don't want a 0/20 Thing in the Ice by accident!)

Concept: Pretty straightforward. Get Thing on the board, play low-cost spells at the right time, and bounce the opponent's board. Aberrant transforms to a Horror once a spell is played, which remains on the board once Thing pops, and is a fairly efficient creature (4/5 for 8 mana). Day's Undoing encourages low casting costs, keeping the opponent's board and hand wiped while spitting out a 7/8 every 4 spells icon_twisted.gif

Pros:
    Plenty of draws
    Lots of mana ramp
    Opponent board cleared every other turn at least

Cons:
    No support removal (Answer: Reclaiming Vines, Root Out)
    Bounce reliant on an empty hand (Answer: Roil Spout)
    No blockers (Answer: Haunted Cloak or Kiora 3rd Ability)
    Susceptible to heavy removal decks (Answer: Gaea or the Sphinx)
  • Reaganstorme
    @snow_leopardd - Here's an Rare-less Kiora deck you can try:

Creatures:
    Jhessian Thief
    Stormchaser Mage
    Murasa Ranger

Spells:
    Natural Connection
    Swell of Growth
    Sylvan Scrying
    Mantle of Webs

Supports:
    Sphinx's Tutelage
    Trail of Evidence
    Retreat to Kazandu

The creatures either get bigger with spells being cast, or grow bigger with landfalls. Sphinx's Tutelage and Trail of evidence are to help give you time and cards to get to your pump spells. You can replace them with Nissa's Pilgrimage and Fertile Ground instead to rely more on the landfall aspect of the deck.

If you have better creatures:
    Blue has Mizzium Meddler and Soulblade Djinn, both are rare and will work well enough. Green has Dwynen, Gilt-Leaf Daen and Managorger Hydra, both excellent additions.
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    need help coming up with a decent kiora deck. I don't have any of the 'key' mythics that most people use, and few of the rares. As fate would have it the Event that awarded the Sage of Anicient Lore, I missed.
    I don't have undergrowth champ, noyan Dar, mirrorpool, sphinx of the final word, part the waterveil, Gaea's Revenge, ulvenweld hydra.

I was hoping to run her for my blue PW for the current nodes event.
    You realise it's a little hard to help you when you give no information on what you do have right? At the very least you could list all the Blue / Green / Colourless mythics and rares you have so people can see what you have to work with..
  • Stormbringer0
    Stormbringer0 Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Screenshot_2016-10-20-09-48-25.png

My setup for Avacyn. Got no problem so far with this boss. But honestly, without Kiora it's hard to beat her.
  • SeditiousCanary
    SeditiousCanary Posts: 76 Match Maker
    I'm playing this:

Thopter Spy Network
    Talent of the Telepath
    Disperse
    Sphinx's Tutelage
    Anticipate
    Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper
    Alchemist's Vial
    Harbinger of Tides
    Jace's Sanctum
    Soulblade Djinn

This is my favorite deck to play, but the one I play second most. Its very fun, and satisfying to play. Its developing overall, there are a few things I am thinking about swapping in/out, but its pretty solid as this list.
  • Reaganstorme
    I've run this one with Kiora and mostly use her second ability to fetch more creatures due to the copious cascades, but any Green PW can run it:

Creatures (2)
    Sigarda, Heron's Grace
    Ulvenwald Hydra *1

Spells (3)
    Animist's Awakening
    Swell of Growth
    Root Out

Supports (5)
    Fertile Thicket
    Retreat to Kazandu
    Ulvenwald Mysteries
    Weirding Wood
    Zendicar Resurgent

*1 - Ulvenwald Hydra can be replaced with any Landfall benefiting green creature, such as Oran-Rief Hydra, Murasa Ranger, Undergrowth Champion, or even a Snapping Gnarlid.

This deck generates Human Soldier tokens though two ways: popping Sigarda's activation gems with the colour changing effects (3), or by getting Ulvenwald Mysteries and Zendicar Resurgent both into play and then bringing in supports and clues (Support enters play, triggers UM, Soldier token enters play, triggers ZR, draw a card. Creature dies, Clue enters play, triggers UM, Soldier token enters play, triggers ZR, draw a card.)