Very unhappy with booster box purchases

Options
Squirreljester
Squirreljester Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
edited August 2016 in MtGPQ Suggestions & Feedback
I've paid for the biggest box twice now, in the origins set, and I'm looking for just 2 cards, both uncommon, Reclaim and Fiery Conclusion. I've spent over $50 in real money trying to get these 2 cards, and haven't so far. This past last time I didn't even get a single rare at all except for the 1 guaranteed one at the end. I really think the formulas for what cards you get are skewed so that you keep having to give more and more money to get the "good" cards, no matter the rarity. Statistically I should have gotten at least one of them by now.

This is really getting ridiculous, because it's becoming more and more apparent that there are some cards that you pretty much need to be competitive and get any kind of decent rewards, and those cards just don't come up in packs anymore. Needless to say, I won't be giving any more real money to this game anytime soon.

Comments

• buffbeardo
    buffbeardo Posts: 154
    Options
    I sadly welcome you to the "Buyer's Remorse" club. I've been a member since update 1.2. Back in the good old days of last December- February, we old timers use to enjoy rares as if they were 5 cent candies. Lol. I'm talking 8-12 rares per big box! Those days are long gone never to return I think. My advice, do NOT spend your money on randomness. I would never go to a store to buy a shirt not knowing what size I may get no matter how awesome the shirt was.
  • Netatron
    Netatron Posts: 147
    Options
    Reclaim and Fiery Conclusion are not very important cards to be competitive, just fun parts of gimmicky combos.
  • Squirreljester
    Options
    Yeah it's kind of annoying, and they keep introducing new stuff to the game while keeping huge bugs around instead of fixing them. The bug where you take an opponent's creature and when it goes back to their side the comes onto the battlefield effects trigger, what's it been, 3 updates now? And those 2 cards would be a huge help to me in my decks, maybe I should revise my statement to say they would help to make ME competitive.

I've been playing for maybe 4 - 5 months, and it used to actually be worth it to spend money on fat packs because you would definitely get at least something useful. Now I've never gotten anything useful. Even the guaranteed cards seem to always be a rare or mythic that is **** I'll never use.

I should have bought those 2 elementals that are super overpowered when they were on sale during the last events. I wanted to wait until they'd be available in packs and then buy some to maybe get one of them and some other good cards, but obviously that was a mistake.
  • glggwp
    glggwp Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    buy mythics when they are on sale! purchasing packs is just miserable...
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    Options
    We appreciate your opinions and feedback and take them into consideration as we move forward.

(Moving to Feedback forum. Please post in the proper forums. Thank you.)
  • ShawnP1
    ShawnP1 Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I can't even seem to get any of the commons I want let alone rares just a hell of a lot of duplicates.
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Out of boredom I bought a origin big box cause I am at a point where I need almost equally old and new stuff(both collection missing not that many cards).

No new card, 600 crystals totally wasted.
    Well whatever....
  • Squirreljester
    Options
    It would be nice to be able to buy singles, but I'm sure that would put a whole lot of workload on the devs to keep up with fluctuating prices and stuff, but it would really be nice to just by able to drop a couple hundred crystals on some singles that I actually need, verses wasting the time opening the packs just to get nothing but 14 packs of doubles, and not even the commons/uncommons that I need.

-Erik
  • eatstatic
    eatstatic Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Yeah, pretty much every time i get close to clicking the purchase button, i think about how unlikely it is that I will get anything II actually want vs the cost for which I will pay for the inevitable dissapointment. I can find much cheaper ways to disappoint myself.
  • Squirreljester
    Options
    I used some of my remaining crystals to pick up one of their "mystical monsters" packs, just for the hell of it, and I literally got nothing, no "mystical monsters" at all, just **** commons I had already. It's pretty sad too because I'm really close to just leaving, and I'm one of those kind of players that has no issues spending money to support a game, but I have to know that I'm actually going to get something for my money.
  • Netatron
    Netatron Posts: 147
    Options
    I used some of my remaining crystals to pick up one of their "mystical monsters" packs, just for the hell of it, and I literally got nothing, no "mystical monsters" at all, just **** commons I had already. It's pretty sad too because I'm really close to just leaving, and I'm one of those kind of players that has no issues spending money to support a game, but I have to know that I'm actually going to get something for my money.

Mystical is not the same as mythical. Pay attention before you buy things.
  • Squirreljester
    Options
    I know that, why would you think I wouldn't know the difference between those? I think you completely missed the entire point of the post based on your response.

I would have thought "mystical" would at least mean "better than average", like no commons or something like that, not just be identical to any other card pack purchase. Tell me 1 thing that was different buying that pack verses buying a regular pack, because I bet there was nothing different at all.
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I would have thought "mystical" would at least mean "better than average", like no commons or something like that, not just be identical to any other card pack purchase. Tell me 1 thing that was different buying that pack verses buying a regular pack, because I bet there was nothing different at all.

If you click the little "i" on the vault screen it pops up what cards are eligible to be gotten. The only difference is which pool of cards you are drawing from, which in this case was all the creatures the marketing team thought were "mystical".
  • Mangus 73
    Mangus 73 Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So myself and my friend both play this and Marvel puzzle quest also.
    Today was day 21 so we got our big boxes at the same time and not 1 rare between us but that's ok I suppose even though apparently you have a higher chance.
    Next up we both decide to use our crystals as we won't see each other for most of the week with work commits etc and go for the biggest box.
    I go first and all I get is my guaranteed rare then my friend follows and gets the same and even pulls the same rare.
    Don't even get me started about mythics, not had one in weeks.D3 your drop rates socks so bad, no more money from us I'm afraid.
  • Melevorn
    Melevorn Posts: 137 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Mangus 73 wrote:
    Today was day 21 so we got our big boxes at the same time...
    FYI the 21-day reward is a "Fat Pack" (4x boosters) and not a "Big Box" (14x boosters).

A little while ago I spent 1,200 manacrystal.png on two BFZ Big Boxes - pulled no mythics, just the two guaranteed rares (one of which was a duplicate). As a free player, that's a lot of manacrystal.png to waste. I've spent far too much real money on MPQ, but MtGPQ makes it really easy to resist the temptation.
  • Mangus 73
    Mangus 73 Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Melevorn wrote:
    Mangus 73 wrote:
    Today was day 21 so we got our big boxes at the same time...
    FYI the 21-day reward is a "Fat Pack" (4x boosters) and not a "Big Box" (14x boosters).

A little while ago I spent 1,200 manacrystal.png on two BFZ Big Boxes - pulled no mythics, just the two guaranteed rares (one of which was a duplicate). As a free player, that's a lot of manacrystal.png to waste. I've spent far too much real money on MPQ, but MtGPQ makes it really easy to resist the temptation.
    It sure does, for me anyway my monthly pack in Mpq sometimes has a fair amount of good draws but in this game it just seems to be consistently rubbish lol
  • buffbeardo
    buffbeardo Posts: 154
    Options
    August Day 21 fat pack- all uncommons and commons. Lame.
  • Barrelrolla
    Options
    4 SoI Big Boxes opened so far and at least 5 Fat Packs.
    I have 1 Mythic total.
  • Mikeymike
    Options
    I have to agree with the % rate on Rares and Mythics recently, it feels way too low. I know back in the Winter/Spring the rate was too high, but it feels like it was over-corrected.
  • malafein
    malafein Posts: 65 Match Maker
    Options
    I'd like it if they would at least make it so fat packs and big boxes purchased with manacrystal.png or real money guarantee at least one new card.