POLL: CATEGORIZE THE 4* INTO TIERS (google survey link)

Options
jobob
jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
edited August 2016 in MPQ Character Discussion
Posting this for an alliance mate, who has put together a nice survey.

Rate the 4*, and their most effective area of use (PVE, PVP, selling for ISO, etc).

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... rm?c=0&w=1

*NOTE*
Don't be a dumbass like me and not read the instructions. I assumed since 5* are best, 5 would be best... nope, Tier 1 is best.

Comments

• Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's a nice survey, but I don't like that all of the answers are required. I've never played with Peggy, Moon Knight, Winter Soldier, Drax and a few others that I don't have covered. But I have to put them in a tier. It will probably skew the results a bit.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Orion wrote:
    It's a nice survey, but I don't like that all of the answers are required. I've never played with Peggy, Moon Knight, Winter Soldier, Drax and a few others that I don't have covered. But I have to put them in a tier. It will probably skew the results a bit.
    I can help you out... Peggy 1, MK 2, WS 2, Drax 4. icon_lol.gif
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jobob wrote:
    *NOTE*
    Don't be a dumbass like me and not read the instructions. I assumed since 5* are best, 5 would be best... nope, Tier 1 is best.
    I was going to say one person was clearly taking the mick until I realised it was you!
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jobob wrote:
    Orion wrote:
    I can help you out... Peggy 1, MK 2, WS 2, Drax 4. icon_lol.gif

Peggy might be the best 4 of all :O she is SUPER strong, when buffed her blue can do 30k damage! Plus two turn stun to two enemies! Yellow is amazing and red is 1k dmg/AP her best build I guess is 3/5/5 but 5/3/5 might also be super strong.

I find very difficult to sort the best 5 now. If I had to chose Peggy, Iceman and Rhulk would be on there but Cyclops, IMHB, Jean and Punisher are all really really good and I don't know who would be there. I guess Peggy, Iceman, Rhulk, Cyclops and Punisher. But this seven are hands down the best 4s of all.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jobob wrote:

Rate the 4*, and their most effective area of use (PVE, PVP, selling for ISO, etc).

*NOTE*

Oh shucks... I answer it in reverse....

Damn.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Man, not enough people are utilizing team-ups it seems. I thought for sure Carnage and Ghost Rider would both have a majority of votes for team-up, but neither do.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Will results be posted?
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This is the url of the results I saw after submitting: here.

I dunno if it will work for you, or if it will update with other submissions if it does, but at least it works for me.

This is the breakdown as it exists currently, tier divisions by most popular placement:
    Tier 1
    Jean Grey 1.51
    Red Hulk 1.55
    Iceman 1.57
    Cyclops 1.63
    IMHB 1.63
    Peggy Carter 1.68

Tier 2
    Deadpool 1.91
    The Punisher 2.05
    Thor 2.09
    Quake 2.10
    Nova 2.15
    Professor X 2.28
    X-23 2.38
    Moon Knight 2.48
    Kingpin 2.49

Tier 3
    Thing 2.61
    Ghost Rider 2.84
    Carnage 2.89
    Ant-Man 2.90
    Winter Soldier 2.91
    Kate Bishop 2.99
    Wolverine 3.02
    Miles Morales 3.07
    War Machine 3.09
    Nick Fury 3.11
    Wasp 3.26
    Captain Falcon 3.32
    Spider-Gwen 3.37

Tier 4
    Venom 3.38
    Drax 3.65
    Elektra 3.83

Tier 5
    Star-Lord 3.96
    Invisible Woman 4.09
    Mister Fantastic 4.20
    TTHulk 4.48
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 491 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    atomzed wrote:
    jobob wrote:

*NOTE*

Oh shucks... I answer it in reverse....

Damn.

Same.....
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So unsurprisingly, the consensus top tiers (more than 60% votes for Tier 1):

Cyclops
    IMHB
    Jean Grey
    Iceman
    Rulk
    Peggy

All solid choices. Iceman got the most votes Tier 1 votes, just squeaking past JG 79% to 77% (and amusingly, some people were clearly ranking backwards, since Ice's next most voted category was Tier 5). Peggy got the fewest votes in this category, with 'just' 64%.

There's a pretty substantial falloff after that, with Xpool being the next highest voted character with 38% tier 1 votes. Thor, Punisher, nova, and quake all got at least 20% Tier 1 votes as well.

Finally, I will note that I think the community is way low on Kate bishop (44% tier 3 votes).
  • Polares
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    So unsurprisingly, the consensus top tiers (more than 60% votes for Tier 1):

Cyclops
    IMHB
    Jean Grey
    Iceman
    Rulk
    Peggy

All solid choices. Iceman got the most votes Tier 1 votes, just squeaking past JG 79% to 77% (and amusingly, some people were clearly ranking backwards, since Ice's next most voted category was Tier 5). Peggy got the fewest votes in this category, with 'just' 64%.

There's a pretty substantial falloff after that, with Xpool being the next highest voted character with 38% tier 1 votes. Thor, Punisher, nova, and quake all got at least 20% Tier 1 votes as well.

Finally, I will note that I think the community is way low on Kate bishop (44% tier 3 votes).

I respect everybody's opinion but it would be nice to know where are the people that has voted. People in general got everything more or less right, but people in general is still biased towards the older top 4s, it is very easy to see in the results.

Kate as an example is not in tier 2 because most people has not played with her, and she is not that popular. Jean is another example of this, a lot of people has her maxed so she received a lot of votes, but I don't think she is as top as she used to be. Punisher on the other hand not so many people have him maxed, this is why he is in tier 2 when he clearly is tier 1. The same for Penny wich is amazingly good, Iceman level good, her blue and yellow are between the best 5 powers in 4 land. She doesnt accelerate a color, she 'accelerates' all your colors by giving you much more time to get any AP you want! And blue stuns two targets and does 15k damage with each countdown getting buffed by strike tiles. Crazy good!

So knowing where is the people that voted would be nice to know as an error/variance type information icon_razz.gif
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Options
    My top three 4*s (in no particular order) are Iceman, Peggy, and Punisher. I'd put Rulk and Cyclops a little below them, and a bit of a cluster below them (Hulkbuster, Jean, Nova, Quake, and probably Kate. Moon Knight too, maybe, but I have much less feel for where he belongs. Hoping for enough ISO from Rank to be able to champion him).
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    Polares, the only reason I put punisher in tier 2 rather than tier 1, is that he has no ap tricks.

All of the traditional top 6 have strong ap manipulation (either acceleration for rulk, cyc, imhb, ice, or enemy suppression, ice, peggy, jg). Imo those are the strongest type of abilities in the game (though not always good, c.f. star-lord), so those 6 are the best. I think the next tier of 4*s are all quite close, but just a touch behind (pun, nova, quake, kate, xpool, etc).

But ymmv, and pun or nova or quake or kate may reach top tier statues for individual rosters based on playstyle and available teams.
  • Polares
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Polares, the only reason I put punisher in tier 2 rather than tier 1, is that he has no ap tricks.

All of the traditional top 6 have strong ap manipulation (either acceleration for rulk, cyc, imhb, ice, or enemy suppression, ice, peggy, jg). Imo those are the strongest type of abilities in the game (though not always good, c.f. star-lord), so those 6 are the best. I think the next tier of 4*s are all quite close, but just a touch behind (pun, nova, quake, kate, xpool, etc).

But ymmv, and pun or nova or quake or kate may reach top tier statues for individual rosters based on playstyle and available teams.

Thing is, Punisher attacks are so cheap, 10 green, 7 black and 8 blue, he really doesnt need self acceleration. Jean doesn't have self acceleration either and she is considered top tier. What it is important is not to have self acceleration, what it is important is to be able to kill the other team very fast, and Punisher excels at this. Rhulk, Iceman and Punisher are the fastest ones in killing the other team. Iceman and Rhulk are much better on defense though.

Another thing I thing people should value more is that some 4s are so good that they help even with 5 teams. In that field Punisher, Peggy and Iceman (probably Rhulk, xpool and Cylipcs too) are the best, and another reason to be considered top tier.
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    Polares:

Jg has what peggy has: she suppressed the enemy by forcing them to play differently and get less ap.

I think we more or less agree here. I just have pun a tiny little tick behind the top 6 (and I would put JG as the weakest of the top 6).
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 691 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This is missing the event characters of Devil Dino and Howard, who are both best used for Iso.

edit: I like the results so far. I think Ghost Rider is solidly Tier 2 but otherwise they seem right on.
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    This is missing the event characters of Devil Dino and Howard, who are both best used for Iso.

edit: I like the results so far. I think Ghost Rider is solidly Tier 2 but otherwise they seem right on.

I kinda feel like GR is at the top of tier 3. Black is a very nice trick for some one events, and he combos nicely with oml as a 5* transition character. But his other two powers are aggresively average (if only one made strikes) and he has very little pve value. That sounds middle tier to me.

But my rankings were very much a bell curve. Almost everyone is tier 3, with just a few in each tier at the ends.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Another positive about JG is her ability to remove SIX cd tiles, with just 10 ap.

We don't have any other character who can so easily remove cd tiles.... With her and SW, you can easily defeat those pve nodes with a lot of cd.

That one of the reason why I put her as tier 1.