Am I ready for the 3-4* transition?

Options
RogueZeroOne
RogueZeroOne Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
edited August 2016 in MPQ Character Discussion
Hello MPQers. I'd like the forum's advice on the 3 to 4* transition.
I've been playing for a while. I do spend some money, but only roster spots and I am a bit of a hoarder.
I have 17 champed 3*, not necessarily the greatest ones, but those are the covers that I got.
I usually grind through the PVE well enough to get the CP progression award. Earlier in my playing history I managed to score some top 10 finishes, but now that my roster is a little better, the scaling makes the higher nodes both too time consuming and health pack consuming to try to grind all way down.
I don't quite have the touch for PVP yet. I manage to get up to 600-700 then it's all over.
I belong to a public alliance, they almost all play every day but are all casual players.
I also hoard tokens. I haven't opened any legendary tokens except one by accident (someone reached over my shoulder and said "what's this?"). I only open regular tokens.
I have almost all of the 4's, but they are only 1-3 covered in most cases. (when I could win them in PVE). It seems that there is no way to win 4* covers in usual game play (progression awards) for a semi-causal player who has invested enough time already that I don't really want to quit.
I would be very grateful if someone (or a few someones) could look at my roster and offer some advice as to how to proceed.

Thanks

Comments

• bpcontra
    bpcontra Posts: 176
    Options
    Well...the 3-4* transition is the hardest and a lot of people are suggesting that you can skip it entirely and try to shoot for legendary tokens and get 5*s because 4 or 5 covers of OML and Pheonix 5* are typically better than many fullly covered 3*.

The 3* that have wide use are Iron Fist, Johnny Cage, Iron Man, Magneto, Captain America...you can thow others into the mix but if you have them, you can typically do ok in any event.

I suggest piling up Legendary tokens and ISO...max the necessary 3* characters above, and then try to see if you can skip the transition all together.

Im closing in on day 600 and still 3-4* transitioning and Im finding that it only makes sense to target 5*s at this point
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The way currently to get 4* covers are to reach progression in PvE to get the 25 CP or to reach 1k in PvP and get the 4* cover that way. If you can't reliably do one or the other then you're not ready for the 4* transition.

If you go the PvE and CP route, then as said above, it's almost better to just collect 5*s and skip the 4* tier.
  • RogueZeroOne
    Options
    I can reliably collect the 25 CP in PVE. What do I do with the 4* covers that I will collect along the way (and already have). Just leave them alone and work on leveling any 5* I manage to snare?

Thanks
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If you have a number of maxed 3*s you should be able to reach 1k in PVP. No, it's not easy and you'll have to invest in shields, but it is possible. Thats the most reliable way of transitioning. In the meantime, keep champing 3*s. They can help you in PVP and the LTs from championing are a huge kickstart in the transition, not to mention the sure 4* covers you get at level 183.
  • cardoor
    cardoor Posts: 185 Tile Toppler
    Options
    The amount of ISO you have hoarded and how quickly you typically generate it are important to consider because 4* star get astoundingly expensive to level. They might seem cheap at first, but that doesn't last.

The other thing to consider is how fun are 3* for you. If you really want to drive into the higher tiers be prepared for a LOT of work. It is possible to enjoy using the powers of the tier you are on. That can mean spending more ISO on 3* and will make the transition slower (but if you are having fun then...).

Looking at your current roster I would keep hoarding your tokens (unless you are sitting on Millions of ISO).

Last thing, once you get a fully covered 4* it can be worth it to ask for advice before you put ISO into them.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm at a similar point as you are, and my plan is to finish championing the 3* tier completely before really worrying about 4*s or 5*s. The wide set of characters which are comparatively easy to champion and use means that this makes for a fairly easy scaling situation and gives me a lot of flexibility in who I can use.

Eventually I'll champ them all and I'll start putting Iso into 4*s, but I won't worry about champing them at all. I'm in no hurry to compete at the 5* level, or to narrow my options for playing PvE down to whatever small handful of 4*s I can push to max. I'll just try to keep as many characters as possible at about the same level and sell off extraneous covers as necessary. Eventually (very eventually) I'll max cover the good 4*s and will worry about becoming a 4* player then, but I refuse to try to force it while the game is well set up for 3* players.

I realize it's intuitive to want to play at a more "elite" level by making the transition, but honestly the game will be less fun post-transition, and a lot more work. Just enjoy where you're at, because by all accounts it doesn't get better than the tail end of the 3* tier.
  • RogueZeroOne
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice.
    Would being an a more active alliance help at all?
    I am definitely the most active player in mine.

Thanks
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yes it will. Get onto the alliance forum and find yourself a pve alliance. Extra iso, covers, HP. If you are hitting the 25cp regularly, you should find a decent one.