Sorin, Grim Nemesis: Official Thread

Gideon
Gideon Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
edited December 2016 in Planeswalker Details
Sorin's abilities as described sound awful and underwhelming. Welcome new planeswalker Sorin lord of MEH.

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jm0Ktui.jpg

manawhite.pngmanablack.pngSorin, Grim Nemesis

Level 60 mana bonuses: +4 manawhite.png | managreen.png | manared.png | +4 manablack.png | manablue.png
    Level 60 HP: 82
    Level 60 max Creatures: 10 Spells: 5 Supports: 5

1: Vampiric Drain - cost: 6
    1 - Gain 4 life and 2 mana per creature you control.
    2 - Gain 2 life and 1 mana per creature you control.
    3 - Gain 3 life and 2 mana per creature you control.
    4 - Gain 4 life and 2 mana per creature you control.

2: Vampiric Power - cost: 15
    1 - Summon a Support with "When each creature you control attacks, you gain 1 Life"
    2 - Summon a Support with "When each creature you control attacks, you gain 2 Life"
    3 - Summon a Support with "When each creature you control attacks, you gain 3 Life"
    4 - Summon a Support with "When each creature you control attacks, you gain 4 Life"

3: Vampiric Strength - cost: 21
    1 - Create a support with "When you gain Life, each of your creatures gain +1/0"
    2 - Create a support with "When you gain Life, each of your creatures gain +2/0"
    3 - Create a support with "When you gain Life, each of your creatures gain +3/0"
    4 - Create a support with "When you gain Life, each of your creatures gain +4/0"

Cost to Max Level: Cost to Max Level: 160,730 runes

Sorin2.jpg

Post your decks and tips for Sorin below!
  • Plastic
    Plastic Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Agreed. His abilities seem to just prolong games, which we all know isn't a good thing.
  • Where did you see his abilities?
    Nevermind, found it. Seems pretty meh...
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Where did you see his abilities?
    Nevermind, found it. Seems pretty meh...

Could you link to that? I still don't know where the infos are...
  • Gideon
    Gideon Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    I jumped the gun on this one. Seems good. I just hate the second ability. Destroying all of my supports to gain 8 life for each seems very bad.
  • shteev
    14051559_10210855177721366_6585277904219166098_n.jpg?oh=781a6e4a594a4256bf45c6f532098f3a&oe=584352D0

Um... seems pretty awful to me...?
  • tm00
    tm00 Posts: 155 Tile Toppler
    Maybe the second one just removes a shield counter?

The costs of the first two seem a bit high
  • ShawnP1
    ShawnP1 Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    Dang, he really sucks! I was really wanting to get him too...... Why are they so cruel to Sorin and where are the vampire tokens?
  • Plastic
    Plastic Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    I'm still on the meh train. I don't see any of these abilities being competitive.
  • shteev
    ShawnP1 wrote:
    Dang, he really sucks!

Yeah, we should all stop pussyfooting around this, this guy is appalling icon_e_smile.gif
  • I have Sorin and cannot find a build for him. Any PW that has any mana ramp abilities will smash your face in. This isn't a problem if black/white had that ability too. Basically I've only won games against other black decks.

I'm probably doing something wrong though....
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    the 1st ability is too expensive, should cost 6 to take advantage or make use of card that deal damage when health is gained. alhammeret archive + 1st ability is more reliable than the 2nd ability. white has cards with or no ally, cheap that do quite good in generating massive amount of health. therefore, the 2nd ability is useless. why wold anyone destroy the supports that are often critical?
    the second ability cannot help win games and if your about to lose the game, it won't save from the inevitable.
    the 3rd is may not that good when facing red pws, will get destroyed fast
  • Pqmtg-
    Pqmtg- Posts: 282
    I have Sorin and cannot find a build for him. Any PW that has any mana ramp abilities will smash your face in. This isn't a problem if black/white had that ability too. Basically I've only won games against other black decks.

I'm probably doing something wrong though....

Only thing I can think of is mass investigate vampire deck that relies on third ability to quickly close a game in the mid game.
  • Jazzpha
    Jazzpha Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    I'm currently running a vampire deck with Liliana centered around Defiant Bloodlord, Bloodbond Vampire and Kalitas. It also uses Tamiyo's Journal and Behold the Beyond, which would synergize well I think with Sorin.

The problem is that A) his abilities are so expensive that by the time you hit ability 3 you've already likely won the game (this happens with Koth all the time), and his mana gains are unbelievably lackluster compared to even Ajani and Sarkhan.

I think what's ultimately going to wind up happening is that his loyalty abilities' costs will be rebalanced eventually, Koth-style. That's the only way I can see him stacking up to the competition.

EDIT: Something else I just thought of is if his second ability actually destroys the gems where your supports are, rather than just 'erasing' them like The Great Aurora, you could get fringe cascade potential. Still, hardly worth it. Pretty much invalidates the Sigil of the Empty Throne deck I was hoping to build with him, whoops. icon_lol.gif
  • tm00
    tm00 Posts: 155 Tile Toppler
    It might be more geared for a zombie deck than for a lifegain deck:
    he produces 7 with white and black and at least 10 with any cascade using white and black.
    From under the floorboard is 7 mana while diregraf colossus, prized amalgaman and fleshbag marauder are 10 mana.
    Plus damaging relentless dead is not that bad.

It just feels that his first two abilities cost a little too much, do they at least count as separate instances of life gain for each damage or gem destroyed?
  • glggwp
    glggwp Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Just bought him too. Any deck ideas?....
  • Jazzpha
    Jazzpha Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    tm00 wrote:
    It might be more geared for a zombie deck than for a lifegain deck:
    he produces 7 with white and black and at least 10 with any cascade using white and black.
    From under the floorboard is 7 mana while diregraf colossus, prized amalgaman and fleshbag marauder are 10 mana.
    Plus damaging relentless dead is not that bad.

It just feels that his first two abilities cost a little too much, do they at least count as separate instances of life gain for each damage or gem destroyed?

Good points!

Re: the lifegain, I don't know (haven't bought Sorin yet), but if it did count as separate instances that would make Vampire decks just as strong as Zombie decks. That's 20 damage per turn from Defiant Bloodlord just based on lifegains alone before attacking, assuming you're also running a creature on the field with lifelink. That's not bad at all for 9 loyalty.
  • Coconut99
    Coconut99 Posts: 212
    I was wondering the same (whether or not these count as separate lifegains)...not just for his 3rd ability support, but especially with something like Serene Steward or whatever the rarer version is (I don't have it, so can't recall it). I can see the first ability being separate or not--it likely hits each creature separately, but depends on whether it lifegains at that time or all at once after--but not so sure on the support version.

I can see it pairing well with something like Diregraf, From Under the Floorboards, Ever After, Relentless Dead, Prized Amalgam, etc., where self-damaging your creatures isn't so bad...or going for the 3rd ability and using a lifelink-focused deck. Either way, not really vampires...I'd have expected his abilities to be more Vamp-specific.

Meh. Makes me wish that there had been some actual COMMUNICATION AND ANNOUNCEMENT *cough* about what he was going to be like before, so that I could have bought Ob from the Vault before he went away. Now I'm stuck with neither, and just Lilliana really if I want a Black PW.
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Yeah, not excited. I'll pick him up when he hits the vault for manacrystal.png for completeness reasons, but I'm not sure when I'll get around to leveling him up. To be fair, I don't spend cash on this game so I wasn't planning on purchasing him for money anyway.

If his lifegain abilities trigger seperately for each creature/support then he'd be exciting for Defiant Bloodlord but I don't have that guy yet anyway.

We knew he was coming, but I'm still really waiting on another multicolor PW that includes manablue.png or managreen.png.
  • shteev
    He's just not better at Zombies than Liliana is, is he?