Return to battlefield question

Options
ReddMaxx
ReddMaxx Posts: 54 Match Maker
edited August 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
On Akoum Firebird the text says "Landfall Red: If this creature has been Destroyed this game, return it to the battlefield." Ok I know this might be a stupid question but any card that says Landfall: Return creature to battlefield do you have to have on in play to trigger the effect or if it is destroy and you landfall afterwards it is returned?

I know it seem oblivious that you have to have a creature in play to cause the landfall effect but I have never been able to trigger the card either way. I guess I never have one destroyed and then on in play and got the landfall.

And another add on question did they fix all the discard and destroy text on discard effects. I think I still saw on the new set the wording destroy card in opponent had instead of discard. It still trigger the madness affect.

Redd

Comments

• span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Akoum Firebird's Landfall resurrection ability works even if you don't have another copy of it on the board. It is active even when the card is in your graveyard.

Likewise for Prized Amalgam.
  • ReddMaxx
    ReddMaxx Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Options
    Akoum Firebird's Landfall resurrection ability works even if you don't have another copy of it on the board. It is active even when the card is in your graveyard.

So does this work if the card was discarded from you hand, not exiled I understand that is different. If so will it work if blacks forces you to discard then all you need to do is landfall red and it appears on the board? I have never got this to work. Not saying I did it right, meaning I landfall red after it got discarded but I never seen this happen and I been playing with this card for months.

Redd
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ReddMaxx wrote:

So does this work if the card was discarded from you hand, not exiled I understand that is different. If so will it work if blacks forces you to discard then all you need to do is landfall red and it appears on the board? I have never got this to work. Not saying I did it right, meaning I landfall red after it got discarded but I never seen this happen and I been playing with this card for months.

Redd
    It took to me a while to trigger it too the first time.
    The problem is that a 8/8 haste flier is hard to kill.

Flying -> harder to block
    8 thoughness-> harder to kill with non destroy effects
    Haste and 8 attack -> tends to shorten the match

So most of the time the hard part is to get it in the graveyard in the first place.
    That's why most it the time I get it back against liliana(cause I move it around to be target of discard).
    And still, it does not happen often.
    I run it mostly because it is pretty good even without resurrection.
    That's just a bonus.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,229 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I can't say for Firebird, but I've had Drownyard Temple return to play after Liliana made me discard it.