WRB PvP Event

shteev
shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
edited August 2016 in MtGPQ Events
Oh god.. it's going to be full of Runaway Carriages, Devour in Flames, and Prized Amalgams, isn't it?

Comments

• HomeRn
    HomeRn Posts: 328 Mover and Shaker
    Not exactly true for the carriage here. Black does have the answer against it... AoE debuff spells ignores both prevent damage and hex-proof.
  • Pqmtg-
    Pqmtg- Posts: 282
    shteev wrote:
    Oh god.. it's going to be full of Runaway Carriages, Devour in Flames, and Prized Amalgams, isn't it?

It is if you keep inciting people to use them by posting about it before every single event.
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Pqmtg- wrote:
    shteev wrote:

It is if you keep inciting people to use them by posting about it before every single event.
    While I normally don't condone shteev's antics, I guess the bit about Runaway Carriage can be considered helping with the developers' intentions to "shift the meta a little bit".

I just had a game freeze using Koth in QB against a Chandra. Neither side had Devour in Flames (unless it was one of the charged up cards ready to cast). It froze after Chandra casted Smash to Smithereens causing her to take 3 damage from it and another 3 damage from my Scab-Clan Berserker on the board. I suspect one of the freeze issues has to do with gem destruction.

I've experienced the freeze from Prized Amalgam too. Killed an opponent creature while having Kalitas and Diregraf Colossus on the board, and Prized Amalgam in the graveyard. Kalitas summoned a 2/2 Zombie, which triggered Prized Amalgam to be summoned onto the board then it promptly froze.

Hope they fix the freezes soon.
  • shteev
    Pqmtg- wrote:
    shteev wrote:

While I normally don't condone shteev's antics, I guess the bit about Runaway Carriage can be considered helping with the developers' intentions to "shift the meta a little bit".

People hate Runaway Carriage. A lot of real people, really hate that card. Red has practically no answer to one that's been buffed by Gideon1.

I am inciting people to use it because I consider it to be a problem that needs fixing. If it *isn't* a problem that needs fixing, then I'm not doing any harm, am I? I might be causing people to think that Runaway Carriage is great, when really you know it isn't, but then that means I'm making people play a substandard card and therefore giving you an advantage. You're welcome.

I just had a game freeze using Koth in QB against a Chandra. Neither side had Devour in Flames (unless it was one of the charged up cards ready to cast). It froze after Chandra casted Smash to Smithereens causing her to take 3 damage from it and another 3 damage from my Scab-Clan Berserker on the board. I suspect one of the freeze issues has to do with gem destruction.

Take a look at this thread. viewtopic.php?f=32&t=49192

If I'm correct, you wouldn't know if your AI opponent was playing Devour in Flames because the game would lock up at the exact point that your opponent casts his first one. Did you take a screenshot of the game? Have a look and see if Koth has a card full of mana. If not, then the lockup you experienced is obviously not caused by the Devour in Flames issue I am proposing.

What I'd really like to see, of course, is some proof that someone has *seen* the AI play a Devour in Flames, because that would completely rule out the possibilty that Devour in Flames is bugged. Has anyone seen an AI player play Devour in Flames?
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    shteev wrote:
    People hate Runaway Carriage. A lot of real people, really hate that card. Red has practically no answer to one that's been buffed by Gideon1.

I am inciting people to use it because I consider it to be a problem that needs fixing. If it *isn't* a problem that needs fixing, then I'm not doing any harm, am I? I might be causing people to think that Runaway Carriage is great, when really you know it isn't, but then that means I'm making people play a substandard card and therefore giving you an advantage. You're welcome.
    I guess you didn't realise but I was the second most vocal person complaining in the Runaway Carriage topic. The developers still have not answered my questions on whether this shift is supposed to include totally screwing over Berserkers and screwing Red especially. On this issue, we're on the same side.

I posted the Nissa deck in that topic to show how everyone can build a strong (and annoying) Runaway Carriage deck with cards most people have access to (except Zendikar Resurgent but that isn't a core card). I'm all for pushing the community towards rampant play of Runaway Carriage if that gets the developers to realise how ridiculously stupid a card it is.

What I said in my previous post is about as civil as I can make it sound with a touch of sarcasm.
    shteev wrote:
    Take a look at this thread. viewtopic.php?f=32&t=49192

If I'm correct, you wouldn't know if your AI opponent was playing Devour in Flames because the game would lock up at the exact point that your opponent casts his first one. Did you take a screenshot of the game? Have a look and see if Koth has a card full of mana. If not, then the lockup you experienced is obviously not caused by the Devour in Flames issue I am proposing.

What I'd really like to see, of course, is some proof that someone has *seen* the AI play a Devour in Flames, because that would completely rule out the possibilty that Devour in Flames is bugged. Has anyone seen an AI player play Devour in Flames?
    Yes, Chandra had two charged up cards in hand. And also as far as I can recall, I have not seen any AI player play Devour in Flames.
  • adman149
    adman149 Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    I didn't take screenshots, but I've seen several times either Koth or Chandra fill up a card with little mana after a cascade and then it freezes. I myself have never seen a devour in flames cast against me. Makes me nervous any time I play a red deck in PVP or QB.
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Schteev, stop crying and include the cloak, censer, key or passage in your deck. They work for red too...

RC stops being interesting when everyone has a blocker in the deck or an unblockable
  • Pqmtg-
    Schteev, stop crying and include the cloak, censer, key or passage in your deck. They work for red too...

RC stops being interesting when everyone has a blocker in the deck or an unblockable

Does making the RC unblockable via these same means make it interesting again?
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975
    I fought the first runaway carriage yesterday played by Gideon1 and buffed by his first skill while competing in QB.
    I was using(obviously) Koth.

Now beside the fact I had no answers and as I pointed elsewhere I find that card totally stupid, what annoyed me the most is that it was basically a starter deck.
    It was full of bad uncommons and even some commons.
    I had no choice but to forfeit the match.

At least UC was not easy to get being a mythic(I got it after the rework) and to be op needed some deck building and sinergy.
    This one just needs a planeswalker that costs 10 crystals and is also cheaper to cast.
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Pqmtg- wrote:

Does making the RC unblockable via these same means make it interesting again?
    No you turn your own -other- creatures into blockers or unblockable as an answer to an opponents RC
  • shteev
    I guess you didn't realise but I was the second most vocal person complaining in the Runaway Carriage topic. The developers still have not answered my questions on whether this shift is supposed to include totally screwing over Berserkers and screwing Red especially. On this issue, we're on the same side.
    What I said in my previous post is about as civil as I can make it sound with a touch of sarcasm.

Sorry, mate, I was really answering Pqmtg- there, I should have been more careful trimming the quotes in the post. I do realise we're on the same side.
  • shteev

Boo, tiny, in a very real sense, kitty, hoo.
  • Reaganstorme
    Reaganstorme Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    I posted this in the previous Event thread:
    I have a feeling that the Zombies // Vampires choice is correct from a design standpoint. If all they change next iteration of the Event are the node colours, then here's what they cover:

Title: Blood and Desire
    Featured Tribes: Vampires, Horrors
    Featured Mechanic: Madness
    Current Node: Blue
    Colour Theme Matches:
    • Vampires: Black, Red, White
    • Horrors: Blue, Black, Red, Green, Colourless
    • Madness: Blue, Black, Red
    So, much more likely to rotate through Blue, Black, and Red.

Title: Passion and the Hunt
    Featured Tribes: Wolves, Werewolves
    Featured Mechanic: Transform
    Current Node: Green
    Colour Theme Matches:
    • Wolves: Red, Green
    • Werewolves: Red, Green
    • Transform: Red, Green, White, Colourless
    Much more likely to stay with only Red or Green, only small probability of White.

Title: Flesh and Spirit
    Featured Tribes: Spirits, Zombies
    Featured Mechanic: Delerium
    Current Node: White
    Colour Theme Matches:
    • Spirits: White, Blue, Black, Green
    • Zombies: Blue, Black, Green
    • Delerium: Red, Green, White, Black, Colourless
    Predominantly covering White, Blue, and Black, all colours are represented here. Not very likely that Red or Green will be featured at this node as there are only two green creatures and one red creature that could meet the requirements.

Note that unless they change the Tribal feature of Passion and the Hunt, if Blood and Desire is Red, Passion and the Hunt will have to be Green.
    Now that we know our node colours are White, Black, and Red, it'll be interesting to see if my guesses were close on the mark, or whether the new nodes will bring new challenges.

My current theory is that it will be one of the two following configurations:
    • The White node will remain as Flesh and Spirits, with Red taking Passion and the Hunt, and Black claiming Blood and Desire; or
    • White will be Passion and the Hunt with a new Tribe (Humans? Angels?), Red becoming Blood and Desire, with Black getting Flesh and Spirits.

I'm hoping for the first version because I'm pretty happy with my Liliana Vampire deck right now, and Prized Amalgam is still bugged.
  • Feagul
    Feagul Posts: 114
    Does Silverstrike counter Runaway Carriage?

Silverstrike.png

Seems like it should, but I'm not sure that it gets around Hexproof since their implementation is all over the place.

RunawayCarriage.png
  • Pqmtg-
    Feagul wrote:
    Does Silverstrike counter Runaway Carriage?

Silverstrike.png

Seems like it should, but I'm not sure that it gets around Hexproof since their implementation is all over the place.

RunawayCarriage.png

I got it to kill sphinx, so it hopefully works on all hexproof
  • Avahad
    Avahad Posts: 296 Mover and Shaker
    Silverstrike does work against runaway carriage icon_e_smile.gif
  • Morphis
    Black has these objectives right now:

cast...
    -2 or more horrors or vampire
    -2 or more madness cards

Anyone with details of others?
  • Reaganstorme
    Reaganstorme Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    edited August 2016
    Morphis wrote:
    Black has these objectives right now:

cast...
    -2 or more horrors or vampire
    -2 or more madness cards

Anyone with details of others?

I was right!
    My current theory is that it will be one of the two following configurations:
    • The White node will remain as Flesh and Spirits, with Red taking Passion and the Hunt, and Black claiming Blood and Desire

Makes the event as follows:

I posted this in the previous Event thread:
    I have a feeling that the Zombies // Vampires choice is correct from a design standpoint. If all they change next iteration of the Event are the node colours, then here's what they cover:

AUG 21+ EVENT COLOUR CHALLENGES:

Title: Blood and Desire
    Featured Tribes: Vampires, Horrors
    Featured Mechanic: Madness
    Current Node: Black. Previously Blue
    Colour Theme Matches:
    • Vampires: Black, Red, White
    • Horrors: Blue, Black, Red, Green, Colourless
    • Madness: Blue, Black, Red
    So, much more likely to rotate through Blue, Black, and Red.

Title: Passion and the Hunt
    Featured Tribes: Wolves, Werewolves
    Featured Mechanic: Transform
    Current Node: Red. Previously Green.
    Colour Theme Matches:
    • Wolves: Red, Green
    • Werewolves: Red, Green
    • Transform: Red, Green, White, Colourless
    Much more likely to stay with only Red or Green, only small probability of White.

Title: Flesh and Spirit
    Featured Tribes: Spirits, Zombies
    Featured Mechanic: Delerium
    Current Node: White
    Colour Theme Matches:
    • Spirits: White, Blue, Black, Green
    • Zombies: Blue, Black, Green
    • Delerium: Red, Green, White, Black, Colourless
  • Morphis
    Do red have any wolf at all?
  • Morphis
    Wait I am so dumb!
    Plenty of wolves for red!

http://decktester.com/Cards?colors=4&su ... Name%20ASC
    Lol

Anyways for red objectives(werewolves and transform) card that transform in werewolves count for both.
    It is even better: you do not even need to transform to make it count toward the werewolf objective.