Koth of the Hammer: Official Thread

Comments

• TimWebko
    TimWebko Posts: 22
    Well, I don't have many mythics but this seems to work well...

http://apachescricket.com/mtg/koth_60722.jpg

Basic ethos - if the opposition has no creatures on the board, you are unlikely to lose. And given one of my 5 (total) mythics is Crumble to Dust...

Anyway - Use Scour / Crumble to get Void gems and cascades. Processor Assault then is cheap as.... Plus Exquisite Firecraft... deals with most opposition cards.

Volcanic Rambler for the cascades and throwaway attack card - then Omnath, Mina&Dean and Iroas for full punch. Could probably throw Sword of the Animist away, but what for?

And when the Tier3 effect kicks in, you can get some very very nasty attack on the end game - 117 attack in this case:

http://apachescricket.com/mtg/koth_117atk.jpg

Anyway, can be improved, but not with any mythics that I don't have icon_e_wink.gif
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,077 Chairperson of the Boards
    Very interesting post and really impressive qb results of your deck.
    Dodecapod wrote:
    Potential Improvements - With access to all cards, Akoum Firebird and Tyrant of Valakut would be the first ones I'd look to add to the deck

If you had akoum firebird which card would you replace it with... abbot?
  • Dodecapod
    Dodecapod Posts: 96 Match Maker
    khurram wrote:
    Dodecapod wrote:
    Potential Improvements - With access to all cards, Akoum Firebird and Tyrant of Valakut would be the first ones I'd look to add to the deck

That's definitely what I'd try first; it's hard to say for sure whether that would wind up as the final list without being able to test the card per se (sometimes a seemingly small initial change winds up leading to a complete deck overhaul when all is said and done), but currently Abbot is usually the most marginal creature aside from Jori En (which, unlike Abbot, is a necessary compromise in speed for the sake of consistency), so it seems like the most logical place to start.

Good luck if you decide to try the deck!
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,077 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dodecapod wrote:
    khurram wrote:
    Dodecapod wrote:

That's definitely what I'd try first; it's hard to say for sure whether that would wind up as the final list without being able to test the card per se (sometimes a seemingly small initial change winds up leading to a complete deck overhaul when all is said and done), but currently Abbot is usually the most marginal creature aside from Jori En (which, unlike Abbot, is a necessary compromise in speed for the sake of consistency), so it seems like the most logical place to start.

Good luck if you decide to try the deck!

I did try it. Its not every day someone posts a deck for which i happen to have every single card

I replaced Jori with Akoum Firebird after initial testing since i did not seem to be using her much.

I dont seem to be drawing mirrorpool as much, only once or twice per match and sometimes not at all. So maybe i'll put back Jori for card draw purposes.

I could not deal with undergrowth champ and lost 3 times to it but that happens with other pws too. No shame losing to a 14/14 UC with reach and first strike with evolutuionary leap on the board

Also hixus was irritating to play against. Lost a match to that one.

But otherwise i feel the improvement. I can only get 60 points in a hour with other walkers... for the first time i was able to get 60 in 40 minutes

I find scab clan berserker, and akoum firebird to be the main beatdown creatures in the deck, along with the hellion. Bushwhacker and rambler feel like placeholders for board presence in the absence of your berserkers
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Dodecapod, this is a tremendous deck. Kudos on building your deck according to whatever an ultra high-speed match demands. Especially with the number of creatures in a deck, I think many of us are used to longer matches where we end up seeing a lot of dud draws from excess creatures. So many of us have been reducing our creature count in decks to around 3 to 5 which as you have pointed out does not work for Koth. Also we forget that Red has creatures which serve a ramp or haste function which are cheap enough (in Koth, and previously in 3-loyalty Flameshot Chandra) to ultimately make way for other creatures.

I don't have Mirrorpool or Akoum Hellkite, so I have swapped in Sure Strike and Tyrant of Valakut for the respective slots. I also swapped out Abbot of Keral Keep for Iroas's Champion cause the 5x5 gem destruction wasn't doing much in the matches I played; it's too expensive to be a disposable ramp creature but it's not strong enough for you to want to keep on the board as one of your final creatures either. Iroas's is also a better board clearer than the other berserkers in the deck. And Iroas's benefits doubly from Embermaw, Bushwhacker, Sure Strike and not to mention Koth's second and third abilities.

I can well imagine how major an impact Mirrorpool would have in this deck and I'm a little envious that I probably won't get it before they decide to nerf Koth back to manageable levels. A reinforced Embermaw, Tyrant or Iroas's is a highly damaging creature.

Anyway based on the version that I tested, the deck is blazing fast. Tyrant of Valakut's ability is nice whether it deals damage only to the planeswalker or also to creatures on the board. But I bet it'll be doubly nice reinforced by Mirrorpool. Iroas's Champion served her role as expected, clearing creatures when there are any and dealing double damage to the planeswalker when there aren't. I didn't miss Abbot as he tended to be the last priority summon in my hand anyway even when he was in the deck. Sure Strike was nice to help keep Embermaw and Scab-Clan alive but Mirrorpool is definitely a superior choice.

Awesome work on the deck and great write-up!
  • Reaganstorme
    Reaganstorme Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Taking Dodecapod's theories on Koth for a spin, I've put together a cheap (only 1 Rare, no Mythics) Allies deck that is pretty quick and fun for my level 30+ Koth.

Planeswalker: Koth of the Hammer

Deck name: Allies of the Hammer

Creatures (8):
    Chasm Guide
    Shatterskull Recruit --> one of Angelic Captain or Mina and Denn Wildborn
    Firemantle Mage
    Reckless Bushwacker
    Ondu Champion
    Volcanic Rambler
    Blazing Hellhound --> Scab-Clan Berserker
    Resolute Blademaster

Spells (1):
    Volcanic Upheaval

Supports (1):
    Sword of the Animist (Rare) --> Oath of Chandra (Mythic)

Overview:
    • Keep summoning creatures to trigger the rally effects. Use Koth's first ability Reshape the Land if there are little or no red gems available as you will starve until you can get some, but when you do this deck accelerates like crazy. Koth's second ability Rage of the Mountain is good enough to be your finisher (especially if you've gotten Resolute Blademaster to trigger) with Double Strike, Berserker, Trample, Unblockable and Haste all proc'd on your weenies.

Replacements:
    • Blazing Hellhound --> Scab-Clan Berserker: a bigger body with better abilities.
    • Shatterskull Recruit --> one of Angelic Captain or Mina and Denn Wildborn. Neither have Rally effects, but both have better stats and abilities. Be careful not to make your deck too expensive.
    • Volcanic Upheaval --> Crumble to Dust: These cards are stall cards at worst, and at best will make cascades to bring you mana or more red gems.
    • Alternative Supports --> Ally Encampment, Sigil of Valor, Flameshadow Conjuring (Rare), Molten Vortex (Mythic), Oath of Chandra (Mythic), or one of the red mana fixers would also work. Whatever Support you choose, keep the cost low enough to cast on a single red match if possible.

Problems and considerations:
    • Mana denial decks can slow you down completely, but your cheap costs should allow you to accelerate once you get red matches.
    • Flying and lifegain, both features of white decks, can be difficult to deal with. Fliers will ignore your Defenders, and can't be attacked with your Berserkers unless you have Angelic Captain in your deck. Lifegain will reset the damage you can do, so will need to be removed quickly if you are to prevail.
    • Black Discard will be problematic if you are stalled, but your creatures are cheap enough that one red match will get you going again.
    • Green has access to much more stable mana, and fatties to absorb your weenie rush, so hope you get favourable landfalls to let you compete. Unblockable lets you bypass them completely, and Rage of the Mountain will give your creatures Berserker, Trample and more power to try to take them out.
    • Chandra and Koth will be competing with you for Red matches but as they have less penalties for non-Red matches Loyalty gems become a higher priority for you to trigger off Reshape the Land at the start of your turns.
    • Koth's third ability Strength of the Mountain is great if you can get it early in the game, as it can be frustrating watching the AI use YOUR red gems and denying you mana, but focusing on Planeswalker gems to get loyalty for Reshape the Land when there are few good mana matches is a tactic you should be doing often.
    • Oath of Chandra does approx 3 damage every turn directly to the enemy PW, and can give you 5 spot damage to a creature on cast instead if you need. Speeds up things immensely!

(I had more tactics here but lost them due to timeout.)
    >:(
  • arNero
    arNero Posts: 358 Mover and Shaker
    For me, when playing Koth, the most important part is get as many red gems as possible on the board. The fact there's no red equivalent for Nissa's Pilgrimage (at least as far as I know) is a bummer, so I settle with things like Shivan Reef and Battlefield Forge. I'm lucky I have Cinder Glade, so that definitely goes in.

Below is my decklist for Koth; against AI, it works relatively well enough most of the time.

Creatures:
    Jori En, Ruin Diver - Because in the right situation Koth's mana gain can be ridiculous, Jori En is here to get me more cards so that that much mana won't go to waste.
    Reckless Bushwhacker - Decent P/T for a mere 7 mana. Plus, mass haste can be relevant sometimes.
    Tyrant Of Valakut - The Finisher

Spells:
    Demolish - All-purpose anti-support card. What red player would play without this? (ok, maybe super aggro won't quite need to worry about supports I guess icon_e_biggrin.gif
    Scour From Existence - All-purpose kill spell. What's not to like?
    Ravaging Blaze - Ok, this one is a little redundant, but at present I can't quite think of a better spell in case my Scour is not ready to fire yet (that, and Scour is rather self-defeating in a mirror match)
    Magmatic Insight - Another card draw outlet when Jori En is not ready yet.

Supports:
    Cinder Glade - Makes red and green mana. Red is obvious, green is because, hey, at least his green mana gain isn't too terrible.
    Shivan Reef, Battlefield Forge - Both can make red gems, although the fact that they're enemy-color gem-makers is a problem for Koth, whose white and blue mana generation is rather poor. But until I get Smoldering Marsh (Cinder Glade's black red variant, whatever the name is) and something else to make red gems (maybe like Volcanic Upheaval), these two will do.
  • This Is the deck I've been running, with good results so far. I have not very good cards, but still work pretty well.

This deck has NO supports. I ran some of them, but always end up switching for spells. If I get a good one I'll give it a try.

CREATURES:

Akoum Hellkite: Interesting creature that doubles as creature killer. For 12 manared.png you can pop him in a single turn.
    Tyrant of Valakut: Almost every Koth that has this creature runs it.
    Iroas's Champion: A very damaging unit that clears boards.
    Embermaw Hellion: Beware of zerker, but also doubles up as another creature killer.

SPELLS:
    Demolish: To destroy all those mirrorpools or other nasty supports other players are running. Single turn cast with any manared.png / managreen.png / manablack.png match.
    Devour in Flames: I end up running this to deal with the nastiest enemy creatures. Will probably trade for Exquisite Firecraft or Inner Struggle if I get them (mostly the later, kill anything that is not hexproof for 6? yes, please), but works well enough. Single turn castable with any manared.png / managreen.png / manablack.png match.
    Infectious Bloodlust. Permabuff, mainly for Iroas (so she can kill higher health enemies), you can save them and pop it the same turn you drop a creature.
    Sure Strike: Very cheap buff to add lots of damage, specially useful for Iroas (6 damage for 1) and your Hellion (because of zerker, since this also grants first strike, allows you to kill big units without losing him)
    Turn Against: Love this cards since it runs with any match. Get the nasties creature of your oponent for a sudden burst of extra damage. I sometimes run this along with Act of Treason.
    Uncaged Fury This is simply massive pain taking into account the creatures you have. Couple it with sure strikes and Koth's Rage of the Mountain and your opponent won't know why he died. I've been able to deal 70+ damage in a single turn in several battles, and with an Iroas down, seeing 50+ is not uncommon.

_ _ _

How to play.

Get units down. Iroas is your main priority, and a Hellion if possible (not mandatory). Unless you can both pop a creature and bloodlust in the same turn, (reorder your cards, creature must drop 1st) use them to buff your Iroas so she can kill anything that doesn't fly. Use mainly Reshape if you think you can get manared.png matches.

Use Sure strikes and Devours to help/buff Iroas or Hellion if they find nasty oppossition, try to save Furies.

Once you get a couple creatures start looking for your combo (namely: Fury + Rage of the Mountain). Rage grants +8 damage + Trample (for Iroas) + zerker, and fury will double up the benefits on the unit cast upon. Along with your unit's base damage, this will usually mean a 50+ damage burst in a single turn.
  • HomeRn
    HomeRn Posts: 328 Mover and Shaker
    Yorien666 wrote:
    This Is the deck I've been running, with good results so far. I have not very good cards, but still work pretty well.

This deck has NO supports. I ran some of them, but always end up switching for spells. If I get a good one I'll give it a try.

CREATURES:

Akoum Hellkite: Interesting creature that doubles as creature killer. For 12 manared.png you can pop him in a single turn.
    Tyrant of Valakut: Almost every Koth that has this creature runs it.
    Iroas's Champion: A very damaging unit that clears boards.
    Embermaw Hellion: Beware of zerker, but also doubles up as another creature killer.

SPELLS:
    Demolish: To destroy all those mirrorpools or other nasty supports other players are running. Single turn cast with any manared.png / managreen.png / manablack.png match.
    Devour in Flames: I end up running this to deal with the nastiest enemy creatures. Will probably trade for Exquisite Firecraft or Inner Struggle if I get them (mostly the later, kill anything that is not hexproof for 6? yes, please), but works well enough. Single turn castable with any manared.png / managreen.png / manablack.png match.
    Infectious Bloodlust. Permabuff, mainly for Iroas (so she can kill higher health enemies), you can save them and pop it the same turn you drop a creature.
    Sure Strike: Very cheap buff to add lots of damage, specially useful for Iroas (6 damage for 1) and your Hellion (because of zerker, since this also grants first strike, allows you to kill big units without losing him)
    Turn Against: Love this cards since it runs with any match. Get the nasties creature of your oponent for a sudden burst of extra damage. I sometimes run this along with Act of Treason.
    Uncaged Fury This is simply massive pain taking into account the creatures you have. Couple it with sure strikes and Koth's Rage of the Mountain and your opponent won't know why he died. I've been able to deal 70+ damage in a single turn in several battles, and with an Iroas down, seeing 50+ is not uncommon.

_ _ _

How to play.

Get units down. Iroas is your main priority, and a Hellion if possible (not mandatory). Unless you can both pop a creature and bloodlust in the same turn, (reorder your cards, creature must drop 1st) use them to buff your Iroas so she can kill anything that doesn't fly. Use mainly Reshape if you think you can get manared.png matches.

Use Sure strikes and Devours to help/buff Iroas or Hellion if they find nasty oppossition, try to save Furies.

Once you get a couple creatures start looking for your combo (namely: Fury + Rage of the Mountain). Rage grants +8 damage + Trample (for Iroas) + zerker, and fury will double up the benefits on the unit cast upon. Along with your unit's base damage, this will usually mean a 50+ damage burst in a single turn.
    Very solid deck you have going for the cards you have right now.

BTW, Inner Struggle deals damage equal to the creature's POWER, not toughness - the card's text is wrong! Still a very decent add to most decks considering most decks (oustide of blue colored decks) focus on creatures with power greater than or equal to toughness in most cases.
  • HomeRn
    I've just had a chance to mess around with my Eldrazi strategy for Koth now that I've managed to hit Platinum mastery (finally!). Let's just say that the deck hasn't changed much - however there is one change that I'm very happy with!

Creatures (4):

Oblivion Sower
    Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
    Void Winnower
    Kozilek, the Great Distortion

Spells (4):

Titan's Presence
    Crumble to Dust
    Brutal Expulsion
    Demolish

Supports (2):

Shrine of the Forsaken Gods
    *NEW* Corrupted Grafstone *NEW*

Bolded cards above have Devoid.

The Eldrazi lineup hasn't changed at all since Shadows over Innistrad doesn't have any new Eldrazi - so far I have not had any reason to change up the team as each of them can literally ruin any opponent in some way or another. Two Eldrazi cause ingest problems for my opponent, two give Koth much needed ramp, and nearly all are huge threats if not removed immediately!

The only change is the removal of Serpentine Spike for Corrupted Grafstone. While Serpentine Spike is amazing with it's flexability, I felt like I never really needed it since I also have Brutal Expulsion (bounce high cost threats & 5 damage to opponent's face) and Titan's Presence (most cost efficient removal EVER). Demolish won out over Scour from Existance because of the introduction of Mirrorpool - as well as a lot of other annoying supports that really slows the deck down: gem converters that don't change gems to manared.png.

Corrupted Grafstone is just a great card in any deck - sure it's no Nissa's Pilgrimage as it costs more, but it's the best gem converter for Koth available. Not to mention Koth lives and dies by his manared.png matches. Another plus is that Grafstone is colorless which means another potential target for the Shrine to give +2 bonus mana from one of the three activated gems!
  • ridfrenzy
    ridfrenzy Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Harness the Storm Deck

Creatures
    Jori En, Ruin Diver (R)
    Runaway Carriage (R)

Spells
    Murderer's Axe (C)
    Slayer's Plate (R) - Easily replaced with Chitinous Cloak
    Haunted Cloak (R)
    Lightning Axe (U)
    Devil's Playground (R)
    Uncaged Fury (C)

Supports
    Harness the Storm (M)
    Shambling Vent (R)

Love playing this deck, lots of cheap spells that allows ridiculous cascades. The real star cards for this deck are Lightning Axe as it allows your ruin diver to keep drawing lots of cards to search your deck for the non spell cards and Uncaged Fury just obliterates decks as I usually have a 20+ creature out.

Slayer's Plate is a bit bugged with Harness the Storm as when you recast it it doesn't stack the +4/+2 but other copies of Slayer's Plate will stack

I have tried a few creatures instead of the Runaway Carriage but the target prevention alone is amazing when you are pumping creatures up.
  • Shadow-Mage
    Shadow-Mage Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Hello,

Koth is a pretty new PW to me. I have him leveled to around level 30 like many of my PWs since I find that is about the bare minimum point when they become truly usable. I created a vampire deck around Koth (mainly because I lack a lot of the cards that I see other Koth users playing). Please let me know any thoughts you may have on the below deck. This deck is currently a bit slow and clunky.

Creatures
    Olivia, Mobilized for War: One of my current go to creatures because she can rule the field when out and buff everything that comes out after.
    Bloodmad Vampire: One of the 4 red vampires I have and self buffs when it hits a PW
    Falkenrath Gorger: Has Madness 3 and when out gives it to all vampires in your hand. If you discard enough vampires will start flying.
    Sanguinary Mage: The last red vampire I own and the weakest. she gets buffed by spells though which works in a pinch.

Spells
    Kozilek's Return: Quick burn for small creatures or collective damage over time
    Stensia Masquerade: Buff your vampires by +2/+2 and first strike
    Avacyn's Judgment: larger burn for the bigger baddy's
    Sure Strike: 1 drop spell to boost Sanguinary Mage in a pinch. Drop multiple on her in one turn and watch her grow.

This is one of my weakest decks and could really use some help. Let me knwo your thoughts on how to boost it's efficiency.

Thank you
  • HomeRn
    As you all may remember, I've been a huge Eldrazi Koth lover - and ever since Eldritch Moon dropped... I've been tinkering my deck lately (again!). New Eldrazi equates to more potential Ingest antics and then some. Here's the new updated decklist - and now comes with a sideboard!

Creatures (4):
    Oblivion Sower
    Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
    Void Winnower
    Decimator of the Provinces

Spells (5):
    Demolish
    Crumble to Dust
    Titan's Presence
    Brutal Expulsion
    Chandra's Ignition

Supports (1):
    Shrine of the Forsaken Gods

Cards in BOLD text are cards I believe are paramount to the deck.

Sideboard Options

Creatures:
    Kozilek, the Great Distortion
    Breaker of Armies
    Bane of Bala Ged
    Eldrazi Devastator
    Desolation Twin
    Hangarback Walker

Spells:
    Serpentine Spike
    Scour from Existence
    Haunted Cloak

Supports:
    Drownyard Temple
    Corrupted Grafstone
    Mirrorpool

This deck is best used like a control deck given some of the best removal options are at your disposal with both Eldrazi and red cards. Ensure you control the board as much as possible while timing certain Eldrazi summons to maximize devastating your opponent's options!

First, the hard choices: which Eldrazi do you bring? Oblivion Sower is a must - at only 14 mana, you can bring him out in no time (sometimes in just one match 5)! Not to mention the fact that Oblivion Sower has both of the most important and powerful abilities for Eldrazi: Ingest AND Process. Oblivion Sower will deny your opponent 10 of their gems, then turn 5 of them into manared.png, which Koth desperately requires. The 6/9 stats is a nice bonus as well! Second up, is Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger. Simply put: the hard counter to Kiora (and to nearly any dual-colored PW for the most part). His 10/10 stats isn't the problem: the fact that he will Ingest EVERY SINGLE GEM OF YOUR OPPONENT'S COLORS is effectively an ultimatum... "Get rid of me NOW, or you lose." Very few PWs have the ability to bounce back from such a devastating denial of mana! Just be careful when your opponent is also a red PW such as Chandra, Ajani, or Nahiri...

Spells for this deck rely on controlling the board as much as possible. Demolish is simply put, the best support removal card in the game, hands down. 3 mana annihilates one of your opponent's supports. Equally as powerul, is Titan's Presence. As long as you have any colorless creature with 8 or power in your hand... you can destroy any creature for 2 mana; yes, you read that right, TWO MANA. Even black cannot get a deal that good! Then we get to mana control (or mana filtering, if you like), Crumble to Dust is potentially game breaking... 6 mana with Devoid, and you get to Ingest every single manawhite.png and manablue.png gem on the board that isn't a support, activated, or trapped! It's like Koth's first ability on 'roids! Not to mention the fact that Koth hates manawhite.png and manablue.png gems anyways.

Supports don't have a lot of room in this deck, but you can shoehorn more in if you would like. Shrine of the Forsaken Gods is effectively a must in any Eldrazi themed deck considering most of the Eldrazi is colorless, and that hasn't taken into account that Shrine is rather fast to play and generates mana very fast!

Options to round out the deck in terms of creatures/Eldrazi should focus around colorless creatures with at least 8 power so that you can utilize Titan's Presence much more reliably. Hangarback Walker is an option for those with few to no Eldrazi to fit the bill as well as providing a "sticky" creature for your opponent to deal with. Breaker of Armies is a great option that's only an uncommon! Ideally, you want Eldrazi with immediate effects upon summoning and 8 power - such as Kozilek to refill your hand or Void Winnower to really amplify mana production! Recently, Decimator of the Provinces came out - an 8/8 with Emerge 3 for 21 mana with a vicious ability when it lands: +4/+4, Haste, Berserker, and Trample, to ALL of your creatures. So that's effectively a 12/12 for 21 mana and the buffs to any other creatures already on your board (OUCH!) - and it comes out faster if your opponent is destroying your other creatures!

Options to fill your deck with spells should also be focused on board control as much as possible. Haunted Cloak is downright amazing - 1 mana grants a creature Vigilance, Haste, and Trample. Great for getting an Eldrazi to attack immedately, to provide a surprise emergency blocker, or to force a creature to block YOUR creatures! Scour from Existance can be an option if your low on control based options as well as providing additional mana denial. Serpentine Spike is one of, if not the most mana efficient direct damage spells in the game. 14 mana with Devoid, allows you to deal 4, then 5, then 6 damage to up to three target creatures of your choosing. Clear the board, or literally nuke a single gigantic threat, from the same card! Chandra's Ignition provides a way to get around annoying Hexproof antics while also dealing massive damage to full boards. Brutal Expulsion is a vicious surprise for Koth - 12 mana with Devoid to bounce a creature back to your opponent's hand and deal 5 damage to the face. Who would expect Koth to bounce ANYTHING?

Optional supports for the deck should be focusing on mana generation or filtering to speed up Koth as much as needed. Corrupted Grafstone is always a great filtering option that will get you 2 manared.png every turn. Drownyard Temple is another great option, especially against decks that is blowing up supports or making you discard cards - one landfall and it comes back onto the board... it's literally the support that just will not stay dead! Mirrorpool may not provide any mana or filtering capabilities, but it can cause your already huge Eldrazi to double in size!
  • qubyts
    qubyts Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    Here's my contribution, I started less than a month ago icon_e_smile.gif

14963475_10157706706065203_29821071_o.jpg
  • Shadoze
    Shadoze Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    This deck build is centered around "Wolf of the Devil's Breath" and the "strength of the mountain" ability:

Creature:
    Wolf of Devil's Breach !!(destroys your last card to damage 5 to each opponent creature and opponent)
    Tyrant of Valakut (damages 6 to opponent and their cards upon entry)
    Jori En, Ruin Diver (gives extra cards for Wolf to destroy)

Support: (many gem converts required for fast loading of high mana cards)
    Corrupted Grafstone (turns 2 gems to your color)
    Cinder Glade (1 gem to red and 1 to green)
    Alhammarret's Archive (additional cards for wolf)

Spells:
    Turn Against (replace with your favorite-low cost card to use opponent creature if necessary)
    Demolish (destroy enemy support gem)
    Inner Struggle (damage to creature equal to its power)
    Scour from Existence (destroy creature-good for more powerful foes)

Make sure to have Alhammarret's Archive and/or Jori En, Ruin Diver active before using wolf or you will find it hard to get items on the board (you will destroy your last unused card in hand every time). Use ability "Strength of the Mountain" asap (+4/4 to your creatures for EVERY red match, builds creatures up fast!!) even if you need to skip using ability Reshape the Land (although this sometimes gives you the extra points needed for mountain). Skip Rage of the Mountain totally as it will only kill your high mana cards with berserker.

As long as you gain red gems I have found this to be a fantastic deck since it destroys pretty much everything in one way or another.

Any improvements/suggestions appreciated. Limited mythics available, got lucky with the few I have in this set up though.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tamiyo's Journal is considerably cheaper than Alhamarret's archive. Maybe try it instead to see what happens?
  • Shadoze
    Shadoze Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    Mainloop25 wrote:
    Tamiyo's Journal is considerably cheaper than Alhamarret's archive. Maybe try it instead to see what happens?
    Don't have that one yet but will keep my eyes open for it. Thanks!
  • csonic
    csonic Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Any new deck ideas surrounding Koth since the latest card set release? I like my current deck but it plays slow..... icon_e_surprised.gif
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    csonic wrote:
    Any new deck ideas surrounding Koth since the latest card set release? I like my current deck but it plays slow..... icon_e_surprised.gif

Most current koth builds are: stuff it full of red mythics, a couple of gem converters, a kill spell or two, and you're done.
  • Foznertep
    Foznertep Posts: 121 Tile Toppler
    And what if I don't have any red mythics?