Poll: Rank the 5*

Comments

• Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    After playing for a while now with a champed PH I have to say that she is much better than expected, she is really really good. The combo purple+red makes her super strong.

For the same reason PH is super strong, I think IM might be too, but his blue is a little bit more expensive and double cast may be useless so I might be wrong. I would love to hear opinions on his blue of people that has him maxed.

SS is technically a battery, but in reality he is not. Too little charged tiles, and black is too expensive/slow, he doesnt help you get AP faster. Devs really need to fix him, he should be a much effective battery than PH, and it is completely the opposite.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    After playing for a while now with a champed PH I have to say that she is much better than expected, she is really really good. The combo purple+red makes her super strong.

For the same reason PH is super strong, I think IM might be too, but his blue is a little bit more expensive and double cast may be useless so I might be wrong. I would love to hear opinions on his blue of people that has him maxed.

SS is technically a battery, but in reality he is not. Too little charged tiles, and black is too expensive/slow, he doesnt help you get AP faster. Devs really need to fix him, he should be a much effective battery than PH, and it is completely the opposite.

Don't have any im46 blue covers, let alone a champed im46. But I would think that the extra cost and removing all red at the end makes im46's blue less useful as a battery, but better as an offensive weapon.

As for ss, he really does need a rework. The singularity tile should be invincible, the power should cost 7ap, and he should make a few more charged tiles. Demi has never properly valued charged tiles. Demi treats them in par with powers that generate tiles or straight up generate ap. But charged tiles do neither until matches. And they provide No extra matches when basic tiles are charged, so they are a double edged sword. A fun OP idea would be a power that turned basic tiles into a specific color and then charged them (before any resulting cascade). That would be a powerful charged tile battery power.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Polares wrote:
    The Phx Red/Purple combo is stronger than the 5IM Blue/Red, for a few reasons.

Phx seems to create more cascades. If you fire her red first, the added strike tiles make those cascades soooo deadly.

The real thing that makes the Phx purple so nasty is when you save up 14 AP and cast it back-to-back. I almost prefer getting no cascades the first time around, because it means the second one is likely going to land a couple criticals and do major damage. Cast 5IM blue, and you have to wait at least a few turns for the board to stabilize... it actually makes repeat casts WORSE, not better.
  • Polares
    jobob wrote:
    Polares wrote:

Phx seems to create more cascades. If you fire her red first, the added strike tiles make those cascades soooo deadly.

The real thing that makes the Phx purple so nasty is when you save up 14 AP and cast it back-to-back. I almost prefer getting no cascades the first time around, because it means the second one is likely going to land a couple criticals and do major damage. Cast 5IM blue, and you have to wait at least a few turns for the board to stabilize... it actually makes repeat casts WORSE, not better.

Then my question is, is it worth having a IM46 x/5/x build or is it better to use him with a 5/3/5 build? Recently I have seen some players with 5/3/5 builds, and I was surprised. Blue can still be useful with 1-3 covers to create cascades (not to get red AP of course) because it is still going to destroy all red in the board, so maybe this build is better, so both red and yellow do the maximum damage when fired (both can do 20k+ damage). Does the extra red AP that you get and the extra cascade potential with blue at 5 compensate for the damage lost?
  • Vhailorx
    Polares wrote:
    jobob wrote:
    Polares wrote:

Then my question is, is it worth having a IM46 x/5/x build or is it better to use him with a 5/3/5 build? Recently I have seen some players with 5/3/5 builds, and I was surprised. Blue can still be useful with 1-3 covers to create cascades (not to get red AP of course) because it is still going to destroy all red in the board, so maybe this build is better, so both red and yellow do the maximum damage when fired (both can do 20k+ damage). Does the extra red AP that you get and the extra cascade potential with blue at 5 compensate for the damage lost?

I think we would need someone to iterate some tests. If 3 blue covers generates 80% of the ap/damage, then the trade off is probably worth it. But if it drops below a tipping point and is less than 1/2 as effective, then 5 blue looks much more important.

How many people have champed im46s, or a robust simulator?
  • KingDreadnaught
    KingDreadnaught Posts: 92 Match Maker
    edited August 2016
    Definitely

1. BSS
    2. GreenGoblin
    3. IMXL
    4. OML
    5. PNX
    6. SS
    7. Hulk5

**Speaking as all 550s Player lol**

BlackSuitSpider became one of my favourite because of his match dmg and cheap Blue that push him back as invisible and undoable.
    Next is GG and IMXL because GG is so deadly for his Black. IMXL I only love his Blue to reshuffle the board and surely it gives a big damage as well *around 19-29000 after shatter all reds. His match damage is the Highest of all 5* (RED) and I care match damage because normally I win by just matching all colours...

OmL, in my opinion he's good for Passive yellow to heal and strikes. The Black is very deadly of course and always create fear when he triggers it. I barely use the craws unless fighting with Dj Toesa, Ace, Gzilla and those high end players to finish the fight faster before stupidly wiped.. lol

Pnx and Banner are actually at the same rank but as I tested Hulk at 550, I believe his health and match damages are so lame. Even though he can come back over and over again (from Banner to Hulk) but the Aoe is not impressive. I like Pnx Red because of the strike tiles more than 19k Dmg of hers. Same as Banner that I like his black attack tiles because I'm in love with attack tiles more than strikes. I feel like it's very intimidating when there's some strikes on from Oml or Pnx.

Silver Surfer is badass because duh he's the first and his blue healing is good. The red is cheap but a bit weak. Blackhole is good to gain Ap. However, the best of him to me is the Charged Tiles. When BlackBolt is coming out, I'll test BlackBolt with SilverSurfer first to see how the charged tiles rocking the gameplay.

Stay tuned and keep checking my Youtube when BlackBolt comes out on Thursday.
  • RemoDestroyer
    RemoDestroyer Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
    Definitely

1. BSS
    2. GreenGoblin
    3. IMXL
    4. OML
    5. PNX
    6. SS
    7. Hulk5

**Speaking as all 550s Player lol**

BlackSuitSpider became one of my favourite because of his match dmg and cheap Blue that push him back as invisible and undoable.
    Next is GG and IMXL because GG is so deadly for his Black. IMXL I only love his Blue to reshuffle the board and surely it gives a big damage as well *around 19-29000 after shatter all reds. His match damage is the Highest of all 5* (RED) and I care match damage because normally I win by just matching all colours...

OmL, in my opinion he's good for Passive yellow to heal and strikes. The Black is very deadly of course and always create fear when he triggers it. I barely use the craws unless fighting with Dj Toesa, Ace, Gzilla and those high end players to finish the fight faster before stupidly wiped.. lol

Pnx and Banner are actually at the same rank but as I tested Hulk at 550, I believe his heal and match damages are so lame. Even though he can come back over and over again (from Banner to Hulk) but the Aoe is not impressive. I like Pnx Red because of the strike tiles more than 19k Dmg of hers. Same as Banner that I like his black attack tiles because I'm in love with attack tiles more than strikes. I feel like it's very intimidating when there's some strikes on from Oml or Pnx.

Silver Surfer is badass because duh he's the first and his blue healing is good. The red is cheap but a bit weak. Blackhole is good to gain Ap. However, the best of him to me is the Charged Tiles. When BlackBolt is coming out, I'll test BlackBolt with SilverSurfer first to see how the charged tiles rocking the gameplay.

Stay tuned and keep checking my Youtube when BlackBolt comes out on Thursday.

Not saying anything about the first Avenger says a lot about the first Avenger.
  • Polares
    Definitely

1. BSS
    2. GreenGoblin
    3. IMXL
    4. OML
    5. PNX
    6. SS
    7. Hulk5

I am surprised you rank PH so low. If match damage is so big in 550 level as you mention, I thought cascades and her purple was going to be devastating for the other team.

Also very very interesting that both jobob and you rank Spidey so high. I look forward to getting more of his covers.

PS: And yeah, also very interesting that you don't even rank Cap icon_razz.gif
  • KingDreadnaught
    Polares wrote:
    Definitely

1. BSS
    2. GreenGoblin
    3. IMXL
    4. OML
    5. PNX
    6. SS
    7. Hulk5

I am surprised you rank PH so low. If match damage is so big in 550 level as you mention, I thought cascades and her purple was going to be devastating for the other team.

Also very very interesting that both jobob and you rank Spidey so high. I look forward to getting more of his covers.

PS: And yeah, also very interesting that you don't even rank Cap icon_razz.gif

For Pnx, her cascade from Red is only usable and most effective if she's with IMXL as his Red match damage is highest. If Phx is the only one using red tile then it's just average. And LOL I forgot to Cap5, how sad. Let me put him on the list....

1. BSS
    2. GreenGoblin
    3. IMXL
    4. OML
    5. PNX
    6. SS / CapTainBrorica ** (Great on Yellow and Blue but only effective playing with OML. He has no friends to play with in 5* characters. I based this as ultimate team with full 5* that supporting each others only. So Cap is lonely... Stand alone with his 4* fellas... )
    7. Hulk5
  • KingDreadnaught
    UPDATING 5*s Ranking.

1. BSS
    2. GG
    3. BLACKBOLT (EPIC)
    4. IMXL
    5. OML
    6. PNX
    7. CAP5
    8. SS
    9. HULK
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Interesting to get the perspective of 2 heavy hitters like yourself and jobob KD. More interesting to see you both rank spidey so high (i have suspected his usefulness for a while myself) when most players at the middle to lower end of the 4/5* range tend to think he is awful.

I never thought of pairing oml with Steve but that's a nice idea to power his blue for free.
  • jobob
    Interesting to get the perspective of 2 heavy hitters like yourself and jobob KD.

I never thought of pairing oml with Steve but that's a nice idea to power his blue for free.
    lol, don't lump me in the same category of "heavy hitter" as KDN. Playing at 550 is worlds away from playing at 455-475.

And... FYI, I know I may seem tough on Craptain, but I don't think he pairs well at all with OML, and I still see him as being far and away the worst 5*.

You can say that OML powers him for "free,"... but think about it. To get the max out of Cap blue, you need to cast 4 powers to get 8 OML tiles out. Who is casting those powers? Not OML, he doesn't have an active (other than black, and my God why would you want to remove those tiles?). Cap blue... you can't use, obviously because you are waiting for 8 tiles. Cap yellow?... if you get that much, just transform OML and end the match. Cap Red?... how are you going to get all that red AP without matching away OML strike tiles?

And let's say you do get 8 OML tiles out. Yes, it makes Cap blue awesome, dealing 17k damage and healing for 12k (using my lvl 455 numbers)... except you have to factor in that you just lost 3300 in strike tiles (lvl 457). So basically Cap damage becomes less than it would've been once you make 5 matches/moves/attack tiles/whatever... that could be one move (or less with a good cascade). Which means it's best used as a finisher... but then, that completely negates the healing part of it.

It's such a good, cheap move in theory that I find breaks down in practice almost every time. It will tear through PVE with MoStorm/IM40, but that's not a great PVE option. The only other combo I like is ****/OML/PX... because you can fire his blue, and immediately PX/Wolvie put 5 special tiles out. But those 2 teams are the only ones that can get enough tiles out (that you don't mind losing) for Craptain's blue to be effective throughout the match.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    jobob wrote:
    Interesting to get the perspective of 2 heavy hitters like yourself and jobob KD.

lol, don't lump me in the same category of "heavy hitter" as KDN. Playing at 550 is worlds away from playing at 455-475.

And... FYI, I know I may seem tough on Craptain, but I don't think he pairs well at all with OML, and I still see him as being far and away the worst 5*.

You can say that OML powers him for "free,"... but think about it. To get the max out of Cap blue, you need to cast 4 powers to get 8 OML tiles out. Who is casting those powers? Not OML, he doesn't have an active (other than black, and my God why would you want to remove those tiles?). Cap blue... you can't use, obviously because you are waiting for 8 tiles. Cap yellow?... if you get that much, just transform OML and end the match. Cap Red?... how are you going to get all that red AP without matching away OML strike tiles?

And let's say you do get 8 OML tiles out. Yes, it makes Cap blue awesome, dealing 17k damage and healing for 12k (using my lvl 455 numbers)... except you have to factor in that you just lost 3300 in strike tiles (lvl 457). So basically Cap damage becomes less than it would've been once you make 5 matches/moves/attack tiles/whatever... that could be one move (or less with a good cascade). Which means it's best used as a finisher... but then, that completely negates the healing part of it.

It's such a good, cheap move in theory that I find breaks down in practice almost every time. It will tear through PVE with MoStorm/IM40, but that's not a great PVE option. The only other combo I like is ****/OML/PX... because you can fire his blue, and immediately PX/Wolvie put 5 special tiles out. But those 2 teams are the only ones that can get enough tiles out (that you don't mind losing) for Craptain's blue to be effective throughout the match.

Valid Point. But even if you use blue and remove oml strikes you'll instantly get 2 Back right away. Maybe someone like nova is a better pair for cap, certainly his dream pairing to use blue seems to be carnage
  • KingDreadnaught
    Tested him in Sim.
    Not fully covered but pretty solid at the moment.

https://youtu.be/qPPJz5k5-pM

Enjoy.
    **Ps** Thanks to all who featured in this videos.
  • Vhailorx
    edited September 2016
    KDN:

I am curious that you are so low on banner (lower even than 5*cap).

Would I be right to think that you don't care about defense very much? It seems to me that banner's best features are all defensive.

I also think that the extra match damage from hulk might be telling in a long match (since the player effectively gets 2:1 match damage when hulk is out).

I definitely think that defense and long match utility are less valuable strengths in this game. But i think they may put him him above SS and 5*cap.
  • KingDreadnaught
    Vhailorx wrote:
    KDN:

I am curious that you are so low on banner (lower even than 5*cap).

Would I be right to think that,you don't care about defense very much? It seems to me that banner's best features are all defensive.

I also think that the extra match damage from hull might be telling in a long match (since the player effectively gets 2:1 match damage when hulk is out).

I definitely think that defense and long match utility are less valuable strengths in this game. But i think they may put him him above SS and 5*cap.

That's correct, Vhailorx. To be honest, only few of my buddies would hit my a-teams for fun. Plus the health of my other 5*s are very high (cos they are maxed). In addition, I barely play a lot lately. Only 2 times day for the past 2 seasons due to my workloads. So It's all about speed and attack powers. I think that a higher damage of the skills and how threatening a character can be is the best defence.

Now that BlackBolt is out. I vote him as one hell of the best 5* EVER. Hulk match damage Vs. BlackBolt Passive Damage is incomparable. Blackbolt is DEFINITELY BETTER in every single way. If you watched some of my videos, You will see that Hulk mostly take away a proper tile set or the color we actually need. But for Bolt, he just .. hurt anything... Which one is more threatening ? I like to create Fear as I learned it from my brother, G-zilla's BlackSuit Spiderman. Even though I hold the top roster of all but when dealing with G-zilla team with high level BSS, I must say I consider getting wiped.

So for Hulk, as Banner, he is so weak. GreenGoblin's black will just wipe him out in few turns or even Phoenix's red and few match 3s.

Silver Surfer is threatening by his health and his blue that just drain our hope with that almost 30k Healing... Red is so fast and Black is so deadly to gain more ap that others will shoot something without us being prepared.

Cap5 is also good cos I like his Red but he has to pair with his team. Those protect tiles at higher level is a peace of mind. Sadly that his Yellow should be end game but it just slowing down the enemy team. His Blue actually great if you pair with Oml, Carnage, Nova, Blade. So he's still useful in Pvp if the featured is his team.

Hulk's best skill for me would be Black cos I like attack tiles. Pretty heavy but also create enemy attack tiles. So comparing with Bolt, he failed once again.
    IF ONLY his passive by creating Green would damage enemy much more than 1000 dmg, he will be almost as good as BlackBolt. I tested him at 550 and he still only damage 2000+ with his creating green tiles.. That's WEAK. So that's my conclusion but it's just my opinion because everyone has different playstyles.

It's good time to open Latest token now cos of IM and Bolt, Hulk if you like him then that's a bonus. So goodluck!
  • jobob
    I managed to champ Banner, Boltagon, and Natty.

Let me say I LOVE Boltagon. The passive (be it charging or damage) is way better than I thought it would be. But let me add one caveat... You need a rainbow team to make use of all the AP (or you need to play for the green nuke). But with a good rainbow team, he's awesome. My new favorite team is Bolt/5IM/GG.

Banner is underwhelming for me, but I don't think I can fairly judge him because I only have him at 453... Which means he barely tanks any colors. I think with 20 more levels, if he were getting out in front more, and doing more match damage, I would find him a lot more useful.

Natty reminds me of the redhead I married. It's expensive to get her to do anything useful, and she's a holy terror once she starts dishing out damage. All of her powers have something though that annoys me... Like purple only getting cheaper for CD tiles but not other special tiles, or destroying AP instead of draining it, or having the conditions for extra damage being a little too strict. But when you do get those moves off, man she packs a punch.
  • Polares
    jobob wrote:

My new favorite team is Bolt/5IM/GG.

May I ask why this team? It doesn't look to have any synergy between them (of course all of them are really good but, none is team IM, none produces strikes for BB black, etc.). I was thinking that maybe PH would be a better fit than IM (even though then there would be no blue user in the team). I would always want to have a strike tiles producer for BB black icon_e_wink.gif

I like GG a lot, but it doesn't have any very good partner in 5 land yet, maybe IM if you run him 3/5/5 or maybe Spidey.

In general, which is in your opinion the best 3-char team of 5s?
  • jobob
    Phx may be better if you are playing for Bolt's passive damage... But leaving those charged tiles out intentionally can get you burned. I prefer having a full active rainbow, and matching the charge tiles away. Bolt/IM/GG have all the actives covered with great (except red) powers (IM Yellow becomes much better with GG). Plus... GG is just so much fun! And he has a bit of defense, if the enemy does match some charged tiles, just use his AP steal. If not, I usually use his purple to generate strike tiles early, or straight damage late.

It's really hard for me to pick the best team of 3's, due to the way 5* scale exponentially... Difficult to get a comparable read on characters at different levels. My 5's range from Banner (454) to 5IM (485)... 30 champ levels makes such a massive difference that I can't really compare the two. Like I said in an earlier post, I think I would like Banner a lot more if he could tank green/red for my Phx.
  • jobob
    Polares, I played more with Bolt/IM/Phx... and it is more powerful, less consistent. If you can get purple/blue early... look out, it goes quickly. If Bolt is charging other colors, you can run into problems. With GG, you don't have the auto-murder-ness that comes with a pink/blue board, but you have more options. Either team is great though.