4* question

Options
OneLastGambit
OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
edited August 2016 in MPQ Character Discussion
At what level does an under levelled but fully covered 4* become useful?

Comments

• TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I remember before champing I took my first 4* (imhb) to 220 and looking at the difference between him there and level 270 was literally a handful per red on the damage - almost no gain. so for pve purposes, I'd say 200-220 makes them mostly functional/powerful, but leaves them light on health. I was planning on running my 4s at 220 or 240 for a while when I was first transitioning...until champing hit and it became all or nothing. pvp that just makes you a target though.
  • xidragonxi
    xidragonxi Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    220 is a good waypoint to max level. They're pretty useful at that level, and you're about halfway to max in terms of ISO cost. A decent strategy is to bring your 4*s to 220 as soon as you can, and then let the covers guide you on which ones you bring to 270 and beyond.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It depends on the 4* and what you want to use them for. icon_e_smile.gif px and gr do quite well at lvl 70 in certain situations.

For reference I was using my 4*s softcapped between 140 to 155 in both pvp and pve (against 395 enemies) for a long time, but that's no longer viable in pvp with weekly boosts and champing. You don't want to be mistaken for a cupcake...
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Yes, above 200 is good. And in PVP, it must be at least above 300 when boosted.

But in most cases, it might as well just be all the way championed or don't bother.

With the exception of the ddq crash, in which case it's generally fine at lv 130 or above. Sometimes higher for bad 4*s like mr. f, or sometimes lower for special ones, such as prof x (invisibility) or nova or antman who are particularly powerful when utilized well.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback.

Everyone seems to be of the opinion that 220 is the underlevlled sweet spot. Incidentally 226 is the point at which it becomes 167k to max. That to me is a sweet spot too since I think earning 166k in 14 days (should you receive an unexpected 14th cover) is about the manageable timescale that won't send you insane.

I recently did 190-270 for x23 in 11 days and it really burnt me out
  • FaerieMyst
    FaerieMyst Posts: 319 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    My long held opinion is that you have no idea whether or not a 4 star.png Is useful until you have at least 10 covers and up to at least level 200.

Thirteen covers at level 200 makes it useful in a 3 star.png roster.

Like others have said, 220 to play with the big boys and girls.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    FaerieMyst wrote:
    My long held opinion is that you have no idea whether or not a 4 star.png Is useful until you have at least 10 covers and up to at least level 200.

Thirteen covers at level 200 makes it useful in a 3 star.png roster.

Like others have said, 220 to play with the big boys and girls.

Some characters are obviously useful below 10 covers. I started using my x-23 to grind trivial nodes in pve at just 7 covers. Same with iceman, he was functional b-teamer with just 3 blue covers. And I figured out that nova was going to be a personal favorite when I got mine to 4/0/2.

But 10 covers (especially with 5 in a key power) and level 200 is definitely where you will start to notice 4*s passing 3*s by, and becoming preferred options when boosted.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My strangely covered 0/0/5 Ghost Rider has been extremely helpful in the current Ultron fight. I bet a 0/5/0 Peggy Carter would have plenty of uses as well.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I have a few 4* parked at 200, fully covered. I've tried to use them in pve when they are boosted and they kind of suck. I always end up going back to the fully leveled ones.

It's probably not that 200 + boosted is not enough, it's that they were never fully leveled because they suck to begin with.
  • torontoraptors
    Options
    Question kinda related, at what point should I start to transition from 3* land to 4? I only Fist, Cyc and Switch champed and like half a dozen around 140.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Question kinda related, at what point should I start to transition from 3* land to 4? I only Fist, Cyc and Switch champed and like half a dozen around 140.

I would make sure I had two things in place before transitioning.

(1) a solid 3* bench of champs. All the top tiers for sure(kk, cyc, if, cage, switch, im40) and several more as well

(2) a decent set of 4*s that can all be raised to 200+ at once. Top tiers preferred, but at the very least 3 or 4 mid tiers that can play well together.

Once those conditions are met, transition should go relatively smoothly,
  • torontoraptors
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:

I would make sure I had two things in place before transitioning.

(1) a solid 3* bench of champs. All the top tiers for sure(kk, cyc, if, cage, switch, im40) and several more as well

(2) a decent set of 4*s that can all be raised to 200+ at once. Top tiers preferred, but at the very least 3 or 4 mid tiers that can play well together.

Once those conditions are met, transition should go relatively smoothly,

Thanks for the advice, looks like I have a long way to go.
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Options

That's about where I was when I started transitioning (I had Patch at max also). I brought Cyclops and Rulk up together from there as my PvP team, then brought Jean, Hulkbuster, and (slightly later) Iceman up. Once I had those five all up around 200-210, I brought all five up to max together (five levels at a time, generally), then quickly championed them.