Crash of the Titans Cycle 3: Mr. Fantastic

2»

Comments

• rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,276 Chairperson of the Boards
    After 12 attempts, my 3/2/4 MrF (L141) is still unable to manage. Taking a break, will dive back in later.
  • Banjo
    Banjo Posts: 59 Match Maker
    Beat him with 1506 health left, only because Doom matched a protect tile.

Lvl 154 1/5/4 Mr F.

Got a Kingpin purple, which I probably won't get to use as I won't Champ him in time.
  • Finally beat him and got a dupe ant man. This makes me a little sad, after all the effort that was put into this fight...
  • lukewarm
    lukewarm Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    edited August 2016
    Giving up with my 2/5/1 level 147 (up from 138 today) - it's not even close to close.

Edit: came back, ended up bringing him to 167, got doom down to 1/3 once. *Now* I'm giving up.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    vinnygecko wrote:
    I never tried this one in the previous cycles, and am wishing I didn't try on this one. My Failtastic is it level 149, 5/1/4. 10 tries and numerous boosts later, not a freaking chance. Be it ridiculously bad boards, cascades netting 10 purple in a turn, I'm done with this one.

I thought I might have had a chance with 5 blue, but the closest I got, Doom was only down to about 4000 hp before he got his purple off. The lack of any real offensive power for **** against a fairly decent and boosted character makes this easily the hardest, most obnoxious clash of the titans yet. There's only so much AP you can deny in one match when you are pretty much reduced to winning by match damage and the occasional stun.

Next time I'm in need of a roster space, this one's the first to go. Don't care if he ends up being essential later.

This one is so brutal 7x before I won with with +4 blue/black ap at lvl 185. 5/3/5 covers.

To win I had to get an early stun out to slow him down while I amassed black AP. Once I got the gadget out, I need approximately 7 to 8 red green yellow matches to win.

Think about the miracle order of events that has to happen to win.

1. Fire a blue stun (8 blueap)
    2. Fire a gadget (9 black)
    3. hit at least 7 red green yellows

Its amazing that anyone wins.
  • motownjunkie
    motownjunkie Posts: 51 Match Maker
    Went in expecting a tough fight with my 5/3/5 level 168 Mr Fantastic but got a lucky board and won first time! Obviously I had used up all my luck because the legendary gave me Mr Fantastic blue. I almost threw my phone at the wall.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    11+ failures this morning, and I'm now out of all relevant damage boosts and much of my stockpile. Leveled 4/2/4 to 127, but I'm going to grind PVE and see what boosts I can get before trying again. (I can't level Mr. F any more because I've got an Iceman cover that's going to expire in a few days.) This matchup looks like it'll be my first failure this cycle.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think last time I was 4/4/5 172 and this was the hardest DDQ of the cycle for me (beat a few with less than 172 characters, only didn't beat Gwen last time).

This time I'm 5/3/5 - went blue/black ISO boosts and +100% damage. Took "only" five tries this time, as opposed to 8-9 last time. XFW for the "reward".

Doom REALLY needs to be 3/3/3 at most - even at level 172 one purple or one black off pretty much "dooms" my chances. Possibly Bag-Man needs to be the opponent of what I still consider to be the worst 4* (yes, I'd prefer Cho).
  • Sluggo
    Sluggo Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    0-for-16 so far with a 133 2/4/5 Stretcho. I'm so disgusted with how bad my "luck" is I want to put the game away for a month.

I mean, most attempts seem to have an absurd amount of purple to begin with, where I rarely get Doom under 10k. But I finally got one really good attempt going, where we were actually even at 5k health each and I had a black tile out on a mostly purple-free board and Doom with 0 purple. Practically a best-case scenario.

And then, magically, Doom cascades into a match-4 purple, which cascades into a match-5 purple, and then his free turn cascades a few more times and shakes up the board enough that it's only two or three more turns before he gets his last purple to finish me off, and I'm torn between laughing at the nonsense of it all or throwing my phone out the window. Sigh.
  • Ralph-Wiggum
    Ralph-Wiggum Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    I'm now about 0 for 20 with my 4/5/4 Mr. F. And I've only really been close about three times.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Unboosted, my 3/1/2 130 took him down about 1/3.

That's...actually better than I was expecting. I may try again with boosts later on.
  • rainkingucd
    What's most frustrating about all this is the board shuffle / cascade bug. I had Doom down to 3500 or, Imaginaut tile out, and a red/green /yellow cascade about to do some.damage and Boom! Board shuffle.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have tried boosted and unboosted runs several times with my 3/5/2 Fantastic @ 110.

I am convinced that it could be done if I keep at it, but i might cost me all of my boosts and maybe some XP too. I could probably do it without boosts if I was willing to level fantastic to 170 or so (about 50k iso in total). But I don't think a single LT is worth either expenditure. So I think I will just skip this ddq and save my resources for PVE (maybe I can get an extra wasp cover via boosting in my final grind) and champing iceman (which will happen if my vault has a purple or green cover tomorrow).
  • mattonline
    mattonline Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    I've tried about two dozen times, tried adding boosts and even leveled Mr F*** up to 170 (4/2/5) and I've gotten Doom below 1000 once.

This match-up is broken.

And not even playable broken, because there is nothing you can do but try to do match damage until doom kills you one of three ways. The "match damage them to death" mechanic only works for those that can go invisible.
  • rainkingucd
    30+ attempts, and no luck. First failure in Cycle 3. Best I could do was get him down to 2500 HP. My L150, 3/2/4 MrF had no chance. This was brutal
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    5/3/5 level 145. took 6 or 7 tries before I final kept enough blue to keep him stunned. keeping him off of purple was really hard and ~80% of my wipes were from purple.
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    I very nearly got it with 5/3/5@131 in my first try, with light boosting. If I had done +100% damage on that one, I'm sure I would have won. Three tries later, made it with full boosts and leveling to 143. Finished down two hp; yes, two. Good luck with shields protecting and with having Doom match them.

Still not fun. Will level higher next time around. Maybe to 170-ish.
  • padei_panda
    padei_panda Posts: 55 Match Maker
    A late post, but I was able to down Doom on my 6th try (5th try actually as one of my attempts crashed the moment I started).

Details:
    Level: 111
    Build: 2/1/2
    Boosts: 100% Dmg, 125% Crit Dmg, +AP ALL

Lucky board - where purple was minimal but lots of black and blue.
    I matched most of the black and blue, prioritizing black over blue (And purple over black), but leaving some 4 matches open to bait the AI so I can match the black/blue.
    Once all the blue/black/purple matches were gone, I was able to cast black and begin matching red/green/yellow. Was able to pull off a 4 cascade so my timer jumped from 2 to 6, and it didn't die until the end. Where possible, I would leave my stun to set up a 5 match (I was able to do this 3 times so that helped a lot).
    In the end, he got 10 purple and had 300 hp. My black was still active so I matched yellow and hoped for the best...

Ended up with a IW Blue which was not needed.
    At least my streak in CoT continues... ...