What should be the next dual-colour planeswalker?

Options
alextfish
alextfish Posts: 192
edited July 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
What do you all think should be the next two-colour planeswalker?
So far we have:
managreen.pngmanablue.png Kiora
manared.pngmanawhite.png Ajani
manablack.pngmanared.png Sarkhan

I'd like to see something white-black (for the delicious lifegain synergies - presumably Sorin), green-red (all green's Activate-gem cards to go together with all red's gem-destruction cards - Xenagos or Arlinn Kord), and blue-black (not sure why, but I want it - Ashiok, I guess).

What are you guys hoping for?

Comments

• Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    like i said in a similar thread, blue-white will the most powerful. Existing cards already make blue-white future proof in term of power.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MADAFAKA wrote:
    like i said in a similar thread, blue-white will the most powerful. Existing cards already make blue-white future proof in term of power.

Interesting! What makes you say that? Blue white has incredibly restricted access to mana acceleration...

I personally think that if you were to pick the two colors that conceptually give you all the best the game has to offer, you can't do better than Kiora. I made my case in this thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=46992
  • tm00
    tm00 Posts: 155 Tile Toppler
    Options
    White black could be intersting to support the "gaining life matters" black cards
  • Meto5000
    Meto5000 Posts: 583
    Options
    TL;DR: The most likely Dual Color Planeswalkers for OGW are:
    manablue.pngmanawhite.pngVenser, the Sojourner
    manablue.pngmanablack.pngAshiok, Nightmare Weaver
    managreen.pngmanablack.pngVraska the Unseen

alextfish wrote:
    What do you all think should be the next two-colour planeswalker?
    So far we have:
    managreen.pngmanablue.png Kiora
    manared.pngmanawhite.png Ajani
    manablack.pngmanared.png Sarkhan

I'd like to see something white-black (for the delicious lifegain synergies - presumably Sorin), green-red (all green's Activate-gem cards to go together with all red's gem-destruction cards - Xenagos or Arlinn Kord), and blue-black (not sure why, but I want it - Ashiok, I guess).

What are you guys hoping for?

Possible future Dual Color Planeswalkers:

managreen.pngmanablack.png - Garruk, Apex Predator or Vraska the Unseen
    managreen.pngmanawhite.png - Ajani, Mentor of Heroes
    managreen.pngmanared.png - Arlinn Kord (Likely for the next expansions(Shadows over Innistrad) or Domri Rade or Sarkhan Vol or Xenagos, the Reveler
    manablue.pngmanawhite.png - Venser, the Sojourner
    manablue.pngmanared.png - Dack Fayden or Ral Zarek
    manablue.pngmanablack.png - Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver or Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
    manawhite.pngmanablack.png - Sorin, Grim Nemesis (Likely for next expansion (Shadows over Innistrad) or Sorin, Lord of Innistrad or Sorin, Solemn Visitor

There are only 2 Planeswalkers in Oath of the Gatewatch, and both are single color, we're most likely getting 2 Dual Color walkers in the next expansion (SOI - Arlinn Kord (Red/Green) and Sorin, Grim Nemesis(Black/White). So including the three we got from this expansion and the two we're almost definitely getting next expansion that gives us: 3 Red, 2 Black, 2 White, 2 Green and 1 Blue Hybrid Planeswalkers. So we can probably assume that any hybrid walker for the OGW expansion will not be Red, and at least 1 will most likely be Blue and since there are already three Hybrid Red walkers and only 1 Hybrid Blue walker.

Given that, the most likely Dual Color walkers for OGW are:

manablue.pngmanawhite.pngVenser, the Sojourner (I think this one is almost a lock)
    manablue.pngmanablack.pngAshiok, Nightmare Weaver
    managreen.pngmanablack.pngVraska the Unseen
    ---Longshot---
    managreen.pngmanablack.pngGarruk, Apex Predator (Unlikely since we just got a Garruk in BFZ)
    manablue.pngmanablack.pngTezzeret, Agent of Bolas (Unlikely since we got a Tezzerat in BFZ)
    manablue.pngmanared.pngDack Fayden or Ral Zarek (Even tossup between these two but both are less likely since we already have 3 Red Hybrid walkers)
    managreen.pngmanawhite.pngAjani, Mentor of Heroes (Unlikely since we just got an Ajani in BFZ)
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    shteev wrote:
    MADAFAKA wrote:

Interesting! What makes you say that? Blue white has incredibly restricted access to mana acceleration...

I personally think that if you were to pick the two colors that conceptually give you all the best the game has to offer, you can't do better than Kiora. I made my case in this thread here:

White can actually disable hex (encircling fissure), access good creatures that take advantage of vigilance (Consul's lieutenant, Iroas's champion, buffing spells) and 2 extremely good disable support and health regeneration. Got moderate removal also
    Blue got the best bounces, mana denial, multiple card draw and hex now.
    The duel color is slow but with momentum will be very dangerous. I can already imagine a scenario in which the opponent wont be able to do any damage
  • Meto5000
    Meto5000 Posts: 583
    Options
    shteev wrote:
    MADAFAKA wrote:

I think white green would be a stronger combination than blue/green or at least comparable. I would much prefer kill spells to bounce spells, you still have access to green ramping and the creatures in white and green are typically better than what's available in blue. Plus the only Green/White Dual Color Planeswalker has a focus on lifegain and lifegain in this game is pretty amazing. Kiora is super powerful because each one of her loyalty abilities is terrific, on top of having access to some really great spells.
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don't know how strong a White/Blue Planeswalker would be. But I would very much like to see the following deck in action:

Mirrorpool
    Shrine of the Forsaken Gods
    Thopter Spy Network
    Sphinx's Tutelage
    Starfield of Nyx
    Sigil of the Empty Throne
    Knightly Valor
    Valor in Akros
    Smite the Monstrous
    Disperse

Sure it's gonna be slow, but when it's fully set up (which is probably only ever going to happen in events) you get:
    +4+/4 Thopters from TSN
    Starfield of Nyx brings back Mirrorpool, triggers Sigil of the Empty Throne, of which the 4/4 Angel counter-triggers Mirrorpool, giving you +8/+8 Angels every turn
    +5/+5 from Starfield of Nyx
    +6/+6 till end of turn from Valor in Akros from the above 6 summons
    +2 to +8 increase in mana cost of the opponent's first card from Sphinx's Tutelage (TSN makes you draw a card when a token damages the opponent planeswalker, and all your creatures are tokens)

Too slow to be good for QB, but probably fun to see all the stuff boosted every turn.
  • Padaxan
    Padaxan Posts: 1
    Options
    Just got 1k crystals from the events.. should I blow it on Kiora or wait for a new PW combo?
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Padaxan wrote:
    Just got 1k crystals from the events.. should I blow it on Kiora or wait for a new PW combo?
    I would say get new planeswalkers based on whether you have good cards for that planeswalker. But as for deciding between Kiora and a new planeswalker buyable by crystals, new planeswalkers usually go on sale for cash or as an event prize after which they stay exclusive for at least another two weeks.

So if there's any new planeswalker you fancy you can probably choose to start saving up the crystals for it when it is actually announced.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Padaxan wrote:

Are you having any trouble with the Events? Kiora will help you breeze through them.
  • alextfish
    alextfish Posts: 192
    Options
    I've actually found Kiora not great for events. It should perhaps say "Kiora will help you breeze through them if you have Undergrowth Champion and Day's Undoing or Exert Influence".