Poll: Rank the 5*

OneLastGambit
OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2016 in MPQ Character Discussion
Simple enough cast your votes for the best 5* .each user will be able to cast 3 options so pick your best 3.

We don't have a ranking for 5* due to how new they are but I was bored and this seemed like fun. Feel free to elaborate on your votes below and I'll create another poll at a later date for the bottom 3

Thanks all
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oml still the all-around best. His true healing makes so many things about this game less of a hassle. Plus it also mitigates his biggest weakness: he is a bit slow. Via transformation he can put out a ton of damage, and strike tiles are the best type of special tile. So much to love about him, even 10 months later.

GG and IM46 round out the top 3. GG has unique and awesome support abilities at the 5* tier (ap theft, fortification!), and top tier damage via bombs and the black power. IM46 has similarly good damage (with the right team) and 2 more very useful all around abilities (5* cascades are very powerful, and damage mitigation is quite useful as well). They are both arguably better than oml for winning a single match, but oml is still long because he allows for near endless grinding.

Phoenix, banner, and bss are the next tier. All useful in their own ways, but not as good.

SS and 5* cap are the bottom of the barrel. 5*cap is probably the worst; he doesn't have great support abilities like SS and its too hard to build a team around him.

(note that I have no usable 5*s. All my rankings are speculative!)
  • OneLastGambit
    My votes were based mostly on who is the biggest pain to fight against.

I voted oml , BSS and GG (not in order) I actually find oml one of the easier 5* to fight as he largely does nothing if you leave him till last and take someone who uses black or yellow.

I rarely lose to him, however... He's great for pve and saves an awful lot of health packs.

My votes for BSS and GG are because spidey is a pain to fight. 6 fights 5 defeats because he's always invisible and when he's the last man standing on the other team this gets frustrating...especially when theres a dd blue team up in play.

GG gets my top vote, utterly devasting black which can't be used badly by ai and is cheap enough that ai fires it often. In the hands of a player he's even better his purple is an amazingly diverse support skill or another devasting damage skill.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Banner's pretty nuts. Well, Hulk is. Once people start fighting him I think we'll see more votes.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd love to see a limited participation discussion of the 5* (similar to the 4* one done a while back) by the handful of players that have em all. I know gobby and 5tony are great, but just how great? OML great or just a step up from phx? didn't vote because I have limited experience with a single, 10 cover 5*. this poll will mostly be based on hearsay and rumor (other than the original 3)
  • OneLastGambit
    TxMoose wrote:
    I'd love to see a limited participation discussion of the 5* (similar to the 4* one done a while back) by the handful of players that have em all. I know gobby and 5tony are great, but just how great? OML great or just a step up from phx? didn't vote because I have limited experience with a single, 10 cover 5*. this poll will mostly be based on hearsay and rumor (other than the original 3)

This is why my votes were based on fighting against them as collecting them is luck based but if you skip enough in SIM you'll come across one at your level. I've fought fully covered versions of all 5* except banner so I felt like my vote was fairl well informed.
  • Vhailorx
    There are definitely a lot of ways to look at "rankings."

On defense, I think it's clear that OML takes a big hit. True healing matters less when you an already start every match at full health. And the ai can't ever decide to hold on to black for a few extra rounds before transforming; if it has 9 black, it casts.

Conversely, GG and Banner both go way up on defense. Banner in particular seems designed as a defensive character. He doesn't really have enough offense to matter at the 5* level. but 8k aoe is enough that you will have to use healthpacks if you eat a couple of them, and a 25k ablative health hulkshield can really slow games down to a grind.

So from the perspective of someone who is looking to play a lot of this game, OML remains best overall because he allows for constant grinding and isn't too much of a detriment in terms of damage output (he's slow, but strike tiles are basically always nice, and he can do serious damage when transformed).

But if you talk about winning a single match (1v1 or 3v3) then GG and IM46 move up to the top tier as they have a great all around skills, offering a mix of AP generation, offense, and defense/support. Phoenix moves up a bit too, as in a single match her post-res green is a really potent weapon with basically no downside.

It would be nice to get some input from people with experience playing all 5*s (or 7/8 since I doubt many have whaled banner in 6 days).
  • Old Man Logan is top because of his Yellow power - start to finish. I have Silver Surfer, Black Spiderman and Jean Grey in 5 star, and got rid of a green goblin. My 5 stars are useless except for a role as tanks who do lots of match damage. Their powers are either useless or require too much AP. Then you have OML with his yellow power which heals EVERYONE.

Provided you have a good stable of heroes including a couple 4 stars near max, Yellow OML is undoubtedly the best 5 star character by a long shot.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Then you have OML with his yellow power which heals EVERYONE.
    ... no it doesn't.

It was mistranslated that way in the German text for a while, and possibly in some other translations, but I thought that was fixed.

Regardless, OML's power has only ever healed OML.

I'm not necessarily saying he's not over-powered, but let's keep the facts straight.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    I don't have Banner, but I have the other 7 champed. Here's how I would rank those:

Top: Phx/BSS
    2nd Tier: GG/IM46/OML
    3rd Tier: SS
    Bottom: Cap

But I would say that all 5 in the top two tiers are excellent. And depending on the opponent or featured character, any one of them could be the "best" for that situation. I put Phx and Spidey just slightly above the other 3 because they seem to always be one of the top 2 I take along in any fight.

There's my 5* for reference:

image.jpg
  • Vhailorx
    jobob wrote:
    I don't have Banner, but I have the other 7 champed. Here's how I would rank those:

Top: Phx/BSS
    2nd Tier: GG/IM46/OML
    3rd Tier: SS
    Bottom: Cap

But I would say that all 5 in the top two tiers are excellent. And depending on the opponent or featured character, any one of them could be the "best" for that situation. I put Phx and Spidey just slightly above the other 3 because they seem to always be one of the top 2 I take along in any fight.

Yay, someone with actual experience!

Do you build your teams around bss/Phoenix? Or are they just superior support characters? In other words I can see designing a team around GG's black or IM46's red. Those do massive damage for cheap. But it seems noticeably harder to build around bss's nuke because it's a 5-match power. Or even Phoenix's green because it's hard to manage getting her to res and absorbing the self-damage.

But both bss and Phoenix seem like awesome support/#2 characters. Bss to negate strikes/provide stuns, and Phoenix to provide cascades and cheap red damage.
  • jobob
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Yay, someone with actual experience!

Do you build your teams around bss/Phoenix? Or are they just superior support characters? In other words I can see designing a team around GG's black or IM46's red. Those do massive damage for cheap. But it seems noticeably harder to build around bss's nuke because it's a 5-match power. Or even Phoenix's green because it's hard to manage getting her to res and absorbing the self-damage.

But both bss and Phoenix seem like awesome support/#2 characters. Bss to negate strikes/provide stuns, and Phoenix to provide cascades and cheap red damage.
    BSS is top tier because of the current meta, wherein 90% of the teams you see once you get a 5* MMR are OML/Phoenix. Since the AI doesn't usually play OML right and actually transform him, his biggest danger is the strike tiles. BSS lets you ignore them completely, and in fact ignore black completely unless you are also running OML or GG. This lets you allow the opponent to throw out all the strike tiles they want, and when Phx fires her red, you get the benefit of all those black strike tiles, and the match is over quickly.

It's hard to build around his green, true. But when you do get it off, it's a game-ender typically. Not so much because of the 13k damage, but the 4-turn stun, the boost damage to blue (which becomes 10k+ for only 6 AP), and the invisibility it gives BSS... I've never gotten it off and then lost that I can remember. Plus, his cheap 1-turn stun can be a life saver if OML has gotten enough yellow to transform... I've found delaying that by 2 turns can often mean the difference between winning and losing.

Phoenix is, IMO, the best offensive character in the game. Her purple/red combo does incredible damage. And, unlike OML who needs both yellow and black to transform, you can do it with just purple (or put out good damage with just red). With 14 purple AP you can put out 50k damage regularly. If you can launch a red before you fire 2 purples, it can go 100k+. I don't build around her green, but it's a fantastic "oh ****" power. First of all, she can't be 1-shot killed like OML, because even if she has 1 health and gets hit with 100k damage, that red is going out (obviously, it's not 100% perfect, there are times it won't or it will get matched away). But if you get low, you can also plan around it within a match... match any red tiles that are close together, try to make her die via match damage and not a power, etc. Second, there are games where I just can't get both black and yellow AP for OML. Phoenix can revive and save you from a bad board. Odds are low that you can't collect one of her 3 colors. Third, in the event that she does die, that AOE nuke is awesome.

Again, I think the Top 5 5* are all great... so it's kind of tough to definitively say "who is best." I just find those two to be the best fit for the situation more often than the other 3. 5IM is worth building around his red but ONLY if the feature char is Team Iron Man and ideally you're running BSS (again... BSS, very useful). GG black isn't worth building around, because you don't want any excess black on the board when you fire it... I don't like building around powers that have the potential to be un-usable like GG black becomes if that countdown is removed.

I play mostly PVP, so I "build" my teams around the feature. For example, with R&G I used GG & 5IM for the rainbow team. I like Groot's green, GG black, pink, IM46 yellow, blue, red. I tried to go for pink first, then hold it a bit and use it to steal 27 enemy AP (all useful for my rainbow team). Plus, excess green makes R&G green better. R&G green I find works well prior to 5IM blue, since the AI is probably matching away a lot of it's strongest color, so a board shake tends to be necessary. In the hard PVE's, my 2 go-to teams are: Phx/SW/GG and IM40/BSS/Phx. Those two teams will destroy anything in their paths.
  • jobob
    Also, let me point out that the rankings change depending on how many 5* you have and at what level. If you can only have ONE 5*, it's probably going to be OML, because of the survivability. So if we're talking about who you would take if you could only have one, then OML is the best. When you have the full roster of 5*, it changes some... kinda like how Patch might be the best 3* if you could only pick ONE and the rest of the roster had to be 2*, but no one would ever say he's the best 3* in the current game.

I've also talked a lot with some of the guys playing with lvl 550 5*... the rankings change again as you scale them up, and they are different from what they may be at 450. So it's all roster dependent.

I honestly think that based on an individuals roster and playstyle, you could make an argument for any of those Top 5 (and probably also Banner, I just don't have firsthand experience) being the "best" of the 5*.
  • Vhailorx
    Thanks for all info jobob! Really interesting to get details from someone with practical experience.

I can vouch for the utility of true healing when only 1 character is available. I had a 1/1/5 patch when he went into the vault and even under covered he was a mainstay of my transition roster for months and months. My 0/1/0 OML is already useful for grinding, so I am certain he would be a great transition 5*.

But for a pvp-only player with a deep 5* bench, I can definitely see OML riding the bench once you start shield hopping. Also interesting to see some love for bss, who was kind of ignored at release. Curious to see if the rest of the community comes around to your opinion as more people start to cover him.
  • Banjo
    Banjo Posts: 59 Match Maker
    I've not voted as I could only vote for OML, as he's the only useable 5* I have (1/3/0).
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    It is quite curious that more people think Banner is better than Spidey, when Spidey has a power that almost renders completely 'not dangerous' the two most used 5s in the current meta. In the long run Spidey will lose a little bit his usefulness when more 5s are released and when people starts using more GGs and IM46s, but right now he is the guy that is going to make trivial to kill the other team OML and PH (or survive to 450 level muscles icon_razz.gif)

Spidey is also team IM so IM+Spidey is also a very strong team. But I guess that when you look at him on his own it doesn't look like he is as strong as OML, GG, IM or PH (even though I think he is much useful than Banner).

PS: It would be soooo cool if blue would stun for two turns. This is for me the biggest problem he has right now, even more than green being a bit expensive.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    jobob wrote:
    In the hard PVE's, my 2 go-to teams are: Phx/SW/GG and IM40/BSS/Phx. Those two teams will destroy anything in their paths.

It's pretty funny that a guy with champed 5*s has a 3* in each of his go-to teams. It just shows how powerful SW and IM40 are as support characters.
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Orion wrote:
    jobob wrote:
    In the hard PVE's, my 2 go-to teams are: Phx/SW/GG and IM40/BSS/Phx. Those two teams will destroy anything in their paths.

It's pretty funny that a guy with champed 5*s has a 3* in each of his go-to teams. It just shows how powerful SW and IM40 are as support characters.

It just shows how powerful cheap AP generation is. I will say that those are the only two 3*s I use when given a choice.
  • Vhailorx
    Orion wrote:
    jobob wrote:

It just shows how powerful cheap AP generation is. I will say that those are the only two 3*s I use when given a choice.

IF is still the best black battery in the game, so I think he might fit into some 4* and 5* teams as well.

But yes, this has always been a game that rewards speed and offense. So it's no surprise that the best AP generators at each tier are generally considered among the best characters at their respective tiers. It's not always true (SS, Kingpin, Wasp), but it's a good rule of thumb (e.g. Switch, IF, IM40, KK, IMHB, Rulk, Cyclops, Iceman, IM46, etc)
  • jobob
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Orion wrote:
    jobob wrote:

IF is still the best black battery in the game, so I think he might fit into some 4* and 5* teams as well.

But yes, this has always been a game that rewards speed and offense. So it's no surprise that the best AP generators at each tier are generally considered among the best characters at their respective tiers. It's not always true (SS, Kingpin, Wasp), but it's a good rule of thumb (e.g. Switch, IF, IM40, KK, IMHB, Rulk, Cyclops, Iceman, IM46, etc)
    Well in my opinion, IF, SW, IM40 are the best AP generators in the game, regardless of tier. MNMags before his nerf, but not anymore. So those others that you mentioned aren't on the same level of AP generation. Honestly the next closest may be Phoenix, who I already said I thought was the best of her tier.
  • Vhailorx
    Jobob,

I think we more or less agree on things. Switch, im40, and if are sort of unusual in that they aren't best used as self accelerators. Im40's red and blue are meh. Switch's purple is also meh (until there is only 1 target left), and if can't actually use the black he generates. So they all become combo characters, where they are used to accelerate someone else. The other characters I mentioned all tend to accelerate themselves; they are a bit more self-sufficient.