Text too hard to read, doesn't follow basic good design

Options
tdellaringa
tdellaringa Posts: 89
There's a lot of small or hard to read text in the game, but none are such big offenders as the numbers in Game Objectives. Besides using text that is too small, the composition of dark red on black is a reader's AND designer's nightmare. It is very difficult - even using the bar as a guide, to see exactly where you need to get, especially when you are nearing the goal.

This is an easy fix. First, increase the text size a bit. Here I have increased it about 80%. Second, use white text for the number. We can see by the bar that we have not reached the goal. If you *must* use red somewhere, make the BAR red, and lighten the red color a bit. Bingo, something that is easily scannable and understandable during a game when I pop the objectives window.

toosmall.jpg

Even at large sizes, this is a terrible color combo.

bad.png

I can't imagine how players with low vision, color blindness problems or just glasses are even reading this.

Please put this as a high priority fix for your next release.

Comments

• Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Text size could use some increase.

Red color is used to mark a requisite not met.
    When it is met it changes to white.

The color change in itself is not that much needed in the first place when you can just know by logic so it could be always white.

If objective states "take at least 80 damage" and the current amount shown is "damage taken 23/80" it is not that hard to realize if you met the condition or not icon_e_wink.gif

If they really want to high tooth they could just add a big red X or big green V to the left to mark it as condition met/not met.
  • tdellaringa
    Options
    Red color is used to mark a requisite not met.
    When it is met it changes to white.

I already indicated that I understood that.
    The color change in itself is not that much needed in the first place when you can just know by logic so it could be always white.

"Logic" doesn't allow me to be able to read the number. I know by experience it's extremely difficult to read the number. I may see by the bar that I am close, but that doesn't help me know the exact number.

I've been a professional designer for almost 30 years. As a creative director, I would be embarrassed to let something like this out the door.
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Oops my bad on second quote...
    What I meant was " the current change of color is not needed" not your suggestion icon_e_wink.gif
  • alextfish
    alextfish Posts: 192
    Options
    Morphis wrote:
    Oops my bad on second quote...
    What I meant was " the current change of color is not needed" not your suggestion icon_e_wink.gif
    It may not be needed, but making it more obvious at a glance is always good. Colour is a very powerful tool and many designers need to use it more. The only problem is that dark red on black is hard to read, especially with the tiny font size which is the main problem.