finally beat Tyrant

Options
ShawnP1
ShawnP1 Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
edited July 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Finally beat tyrant of valakut, took forever but my Jace tokens/mana denial deck did pretty good. Now I must ask is Kozilek harder or not?

Comments

• khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,080 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ShawnP1 wrote:
    Finally beat tyrant of valakut, took forever but my Jace tokens/mana denial deck did pretty good. Now I must ask is Kozilek harder or not?

Of course its harder. As you may have found out by now
  • paralistalon
    paralistalon Posts: 153
    Options
    Tyrant is difficult because he reliably hits all your creatures for 6 damage every few turns. Kozilek is a bit more unpredictable. He has a tyrant of valakut in his deck so that will sometimes happen, but I think the worst card he has is crush of tentacles. You might get lucky and he won't draw it for a while. Kozilek's ability gives him a ton of mana, and with his insane match bonus and mana boosting support, I find that mana denial isn't as effective against him. I beat him with a Nissa deck with a lot of giant reach creatures and power boosting cards and abilities.
  • ShawnP1
    ShawnP1 Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So he was way easier then Tyrant, of course I mana drained him a lot and he played Crush on the last 5 turns, of course by that point I already had mine charged as well and thopter spy network on field, I mana drained him constantly until the end of the game he played nothing for the last 5 turns lol
    Mana drain worked well with sphinxes tutelage and TSN along with a horribly awry in hand because he almost always tries to charge big creatures.
  • Reaganstorme
    Reaganstorme Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    After beating my head against Tyrant with Nissa and falling 6 life (1 turn) short, i decided to switch to my level 33 Kiora Noyan Champion deck and beat it first go!

Undergrowth Champion
    Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper

Coastal Discovery
    Stratus Walk
    Seek The Wilds
    Talent of the Telepath
    Mantle of Webs
    Exert Influence
    Crush of Tentacles

Mirrorpool

Apart from stealing one of his Phoenixes, he didn't get anything else out before i cascaded into a huge spell draw sequence to pump Noyan to 24/24, then to 41/37 shortly after before i got out one UC. Lol. Finished on 32 life.

EDIT - And now I've beaten Kozilek with this deck! Yay! Pumped a flying Undergrowth Champ to keep it alive at around 8-10 power, stole a Tyrant for a while, and banked all the mana in offline spells waiting for the resets or a large drop. Beat back his super angel with a well timed mantle of webs to kill it after being reinforced twice. Saved up my own CoT whilst waiting for his, then surfed 32/32 octopuses and 20/20 Noyan to victory. So sweet!