How are people beating Tyrant of Valakut?

Options
Ryudhyn
Ryudhyn Posts: 59 Match Maker
In this event, I can't beat the Tyrant stage. What are techniques you all are using? I've gotten everything up until then 100%

Comments

• rulerhumankind
    Options
    Check General Discussion, there are a ton of deck builds there for this challenge (some of which should be posted here for posterity). For myself, I have beaten it with Ob Nixilis and Liliana, both abusing Demonic Pact. Add in some hand destruction, creature removal, and other Planeswalker tricks, it is pretty easy.

Here are my two decks:
    Ob Nixilis -

Demonic Pact
    Shrine of the Forsaken Gods
    Sunken Hollow
    Vampiric Rites

Transgress the Mind
    Alchemist's Vial
    Grip of Desolation
    Grave Birthing

Gnarlroot Trapper
    Bonded Construct

Wipe out their hand, delay and destroy creatures, until you get 15 loyalty. Then role with the damage, getting 16 if you have Demonic Pact and guaranteeing 8 when they draw. Also do 24 damage if you activate Vampiric Rites, and 16 if you use the first ability. Alchemist's Vial delays creatures, and does 8 damage with the card draw. Grave Birthing puts a chump blocker, ingests, and draws a card, doing 8 damage.

Liliana -

Shrine of the Forsaken Gods
    Demonic Pact

Grave Birthing
    Infinite Obliteration
    Grip of Desolation
    Dark Petition

Fathom Feeder
    Ulamog's Despoiler
    Sludge Crawler
    Blight Herder

This is a hand-deny / ressurection deck, that once you have lockdown with Demonic Pact and hand discard, you pay for your expensive creatures and/or resurrect them with ability 3 or Dark Petition.
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The basic techniques reported by others include:

Gideon II with lifegain / disable

Jace with Thopter Spy Network and mana denial

Kiora with bounce, draw and card advantage

Koth with giant nasty creatures

Liliana with hand disruption and reanimation

Nissa with fat creatures, reach, and Plummet (destroy target creature with flying)

Ob Nixilis with hand disruption, creature destruction and his emblem
  • sageofhalo451
    sageofhalo451 Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I use Gideon I with Consul's Lieutenant for the First Strike ability. Pair this with Gideon's third ability to get Regenerate 5 and some other pump spells and you can hold on for the win.

The core concepts for the deck are:

-First Strike creature
    -Pump spells/supports (so that you can first strike anything 20 health or higher)
    -Prevent damage for when you can't first strike in one go
    -Gideon's third ability to deal with the direct damage your first striker will be taking (keep in mind you may get hit with the ability and he may play himself as a card too meaning in one turn you can take 12 damage to all your creatures plus yourself)
    -Lifelink to restore your health from all the direct damage.

Strategy is to get loyalty for third ability fast. While charging up Consul's Lieutenant and pump spells/supports to drop a beast on the board. Just make sure you don't give him Vigilance unless he's ready to drop the enemies with First Strike unless you can protect him with Enshrouding Mist.

Be aware that the enemy may play some removal spells like Crush of Tentacles so you may need to start from scratch once you get going.
  • parasith77
    parasith77 Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I have won all event battles with Gidoen II (Lvl 60) deck:

Creatures:
    Serene Stewart
    Lantern Scout
    Veteran Warleader (must have)
    Resolute Blademaster (was my finisher)

Spells:
    Enshrouding Mist (must have)
    Ondu Rising (must have)