Smothering Abomination

So, in my patch day BB, I got "lucky" and managed to get 1 Mythic...

SmotheringAbomination.png

I say "lucky" because right now, I don't have Lilliana or Ob (will likely get Ob once he costs crystals, unless he costs an absurd amount). Still, Lilliana is always a possibility, and so I started to try to think of some way to make use of this card...which may be hard, because he costs so bloody much, unless he gets yanked out of the graveyard.

I also ran across this in my inventory...

DespoilerOfSouls.png

Am I crazy, or would those 2 cards send the Despoiler into a nonstop (as long as I have 3 mana) tailspin of being destroyed and then being Returned, but never losing summoning sickness and being able to attack? Beginning of turn, Smothering destroyed Despoiler, Despoiler drains 3 mana and comes back, but he'd come back with summoning sickness, so he wouldn't be able to attack, and then next turn, same thing...

Anyway, I digress. I'm trying to figure out if there's anything to do with this Mythic, but every time I do...I come up with nothing. Because it happens at the beginning of your turn, anything I could add that would return a creature from the graveyard doesn't give it haste, and as far as I can tell, there isn't any way to just blanketly give haste to creatures as they're summoned...at least, not in a Black deck, or not in combination with Smothering (there's Forerunner of Slaughter, but 1) it only works on colorless creatures, and 2) Forerunner would die from Smothering the same as everything else).

Anyone had any luck or thoughts on how to use Smothering, or is it just going to be yet another Mythic I get and can't find any use for? Unless it's the only creature I keep on the board, or I play creatures specifically to die (or something like Dust Stalker, which I don't have but which would basically be a 7-damage spell card using a creature slot in my deck..), I can't think of anything, really. That Dust Stalker is literally the only creature with Haste that could go into a Black deck (no colorless creatures and just that one Black creature).

Comments

• ChrisTot
    ChrisTot Posts: 167
    I think of him as a board wipe. Eventually Despoiler won't die when this guy dies from your opponent's only creature.
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975
    Yes most of the time is a 1 turn delayed killable board wipe.
    Not too good but since black lacks(and that is really stupid cause it should be the best at it) mass removal it could be a backup plan.

For sure is not a mythic people like to get at the beginning, maybe when bfz collection gets better to try out different decks...
    Btw I have it too did not even boyher trying.
  • Coconut99
    Coconut99 Posts: 212
    Yeah, those were my thoughts as well. I thought maybe something could be done with it using Dark Petition but nope. Oh well, another wasted Mythic. Shame that only 2 out of the 6 Mythics that I have (from both sets combined) get some use...although I may be taking 1 of them out. Sigh icon_cry.gif

Thanks.
  • fox1342
    fox1342 Posts: 174 Tile Toppler
    Play as only creature with supports and a fetch creature. Boost it, Helm of gods, sword, sigal, etc. Win.
  • Coconut99
    Coconut99 Posts: 212
    Annoyingly, Helm of the Gods has eluded me. However, I do have Retreat to Hagra and Tainted Remedy (to keep it alive).

Hmm...how about something like this, then--

Creatures (1):
    Smothering Abomination
    Spells(2):
    Dark Petition
    Consecrated by Blood
    Supports(4):
    Brawler's Plate
    Sigil of Valor
    Retreat to Hagra
    Tainted Remedy

...then I ran out of ideas, at least, based on what I actually have, heh.
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Honestly, if you're playing Black and you have a decent amount of removal, your opponent is unlikely to have very many creatures on board in the first place.

RuinousPath.png

UnholyHunger.png

GripOfDesolation.png

ScourFromExistence.png

FetidImp.png

BlightedFen.png

BoneSplinters.png

GravebladeMarauder.png

BlazingHellhound.png

DeadbridgeShaman.png

BreakerOfArmies.png
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    Anyone found luck using him? I'm finding him essentially useless because of defender. Too many times, they just attack into him and kill him before his ability goes off.
  • Reaganstorme
    Reaganstorme Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    I think he'd be better in a Sarkhan deck honestly with these two accompanying Despoiler of souls:

Flameshadow Conjuring
    Shambling Vent

Recursive dragon summoning anyone?