Suggestions on Walkers?

Options
Deus422
Deus422 Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
Ive been playing for a while now, but havent bought anything other than the base 5 Walkers. Ive got the 550 to buy Ajani or Sarkhan, but Im wondering if one of the 250 walkers is better or if I should just wait for different 2 color walkers, Preferably BW or UW.

Comments

• majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Search the forums, there are numerous posts talking about exactly this thing. Sorry I'm too lazy to link them atm. icon_e_smile.gif
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If it's a choice between Ajani and Sarkhan, definitely get Ajani.

If you're looking at a mono-color walker, then I prefer Gideon II and Ob Nixilis.

Bear in mind, it takes 160,000 runes to level up a 2-color walker, and about 80,000 runes to level up a mono-color walker. My preference is to buy a walker when I have enough runes to level them up all the way, or most of the way.
  • Deus422
    Deus422 Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
    Options
    At this point, Im up to like 800 mana crystals, so Im just debating saving for Kiora. After the rediculousness that is the Kozilek fight, I think I need something as broken as Kiora to beat it.
  • rulerhumankind
    Options
    It really depends on what cards you have access to. I have several good red and white rares, so I went with Ajani first. I now have Kiora since I got Noyan Dar, Prism Array, Scatter to the winds and Crush of Tentacles recently. Currently Saving for Sarkhan now, since Infinite Obliteration got buffed, and I just acquired Dragonmaster outcast. Because I got them in the order that I had cards for them, I have always gotten good value in my quick battles starting with effective decks, instead of hoping I get the cards for a currently useless planeswalker.
  • Lotrfreak200578
    Lotrfreak200578 Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    Options
    In my honest opinion.... if you can get Gideon , Ally of Zendikar get him. The card combos that you can pull off with him are amazing. I've had creature combos where my first creature gained +6/+6 every turn while having lifelink and double strike.
  • Skidoo
    Skidoo Posts: 71 Match Maker
    Options
    Deus422 wrote:
    At this point, Im up to like 800 mana crystals, so Im just debating saving for Kiora. After the rediculousness that is the Kozilek fight, I think I need something as broken as Kiora to beat it.
    I have Kiora and Sarkhan. Kiora has much wider flexibility, but Sarkhan is a blast if you own a few dragons.

Dual color PWs obviously provide twice as many choices when constructing decks around specific themes & mechanics, eg Eldrazi, Allies, Transform. Their mana generation is better, but some better than others. For instance, if you can deny Koth red, then you can skate, if not then he's gonna drop gems and cascade like a sonofagun.
      SARKHAN is niche. If you have 2-3 of the mythic/rare red Dragons (Tyrant, Avaricious, Dragonmaster, Akoum Hellkite), then Sarkhan is a lot of fun. But I don't see his value otherwise. You'd be better off running a pure red or black deck and save yourself a boatload of tokens leveling him. If you use his Call Dragon ability more than once it really slows you from reaching his game-winning coup de grace, Fiery Breath, so you need dragons of your own or else the games drag.

KIORA is flexible. If you like playing a blue Lockdown deck, then Kiora works better than Jace imo because of her cheap first ability. Many blue denial mechanics require a combo between 2 cards, but her first ability is so cheap that you'll use it as many turns as you don't and results in an 8 mana swing. That mana ramp is generally enough to give you board control much quicker than Jace. But she's not a one-trick pony, unlike Sarkhan. Her second ability is generally useful in any deck, but especially if you couldn't lock down quickly enough and have to play catch-up. And her third could help you finish strong w big fatties. Kiora can manage all kinds of decks beyond the typical blue denial & bounce, so maybe that explains her higher price. You have all the control aspects of blue plus the creature & boosters from green.
    • HomeRn
      HomeRn Posts: 328 Mover and Shaker
      Options
      Skidoo wrote:
      Deus422 wrote:
      I have Kiora and Sarkhan. Kiora has much wider flexibility, but Sarkhan is a blast if you own a few dragons.

Dual color PWs obviously provide twice as many choices when constructing decks around specific themes & mechanics, eg Eldrazi, Allies, Transform. Their mana generation is better, but some better than others. For instance, if you can deny Koth red, then you can skate, if not then he's gonna drop gems and cascade like a sonofagun.
        SARKHAN is niche. If you have 2-3 of the mythic/rare red Dragons (Tyrant, Avaricious, Dragonmaster, Akoum Hellkite), then Sarkhan is a lot of fun. But I don't see his value otherwise. You'd be better off running a pure red or black deck and save yourself a boatload of tokens leveling him. If you use his Call Dragon ability more than once it really slows you from reaching his game-winning coup de grace, Fiery Breath, so you need dragons of your own or else the games drag.

KIORA is flexible. If you like playing a blue Lockdown deck, then Kiora works better than Jace imo because of her cheap first ability. Many blue denial mechanics require a combo between 2 cards, but her first ability is so cheap that you'll use it as many turns as you don't and results in an 8 mana swing. That mana ramp is generally enough to give you board control much quicker than Jace. But she's not a one-trick pony, unlike Sarkhan. Her second ability is generally useful in any deck, but especially if you couldn't lock down quickly enough and have to play catch-up. And her third could help you finish strong w big fatties. Kiora can manage all kinds of decks beyond the typical blue denial & bounce, so maybe that explains her higher price. You have all the control aspects of blue plus the creature & boosters from green.
        Kiora should be the highest on your priority list due to her abilities, color choices, and vast number of strategies she can potentially bring out.

Sarkhan doesn't necessarily needs to run dragons (doesn't hurt though) - there are plenty of creatures that red and black have that can spawn tokens... use the tokens as your sacrifice for the dragons! Also, red/black also has a HUGE number of ways to control games and Sarkhan's balanced mana gains means you don't really need gem converters or mana generators depending on your deck!
      • Skidoo
        Skidoo Posts: 71 Match Maker
        Options
        Yes, every one of Kiora's abilities is useful. That cannot be said for all PWs.

And the diversity of Kiora's abilities allows her to adapt to different situations. Many PWs' have thematic abilities, so all 3 roughly support the same basic theme. But Kiora's each uniquely affect the game in different ways.