Where are the basic rules?

Unknown
edited October 2016 in MtGPQ Tips & Guides
Some players are getting confused by the deck system. Here is a guide I made explaining it in better detail:

urwnaTP.jpg

MTGPQ IGN: CaptainTeemo

Comments

• I find it odd that other than the tutorial in the very beginning of the game, there doesn't seem to be anyplace where the rules of the game and mechanics are set forth. There's a fair amount of deckbuilding guides here, but that's all.

Am I missing something? Where are the game rules?
  • Interesting, I can't find anything specifically to loyalty. I know matching the loyalty piece gets you, but is it a 1-1 relation? Sometimes it seems not to be.
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Interesting, I can't find anything specifically to loyalty. I know matching the loyalty piece gets you, but is it a 1-1 relation? Sometimes it seems not to be.

Breaking the loyalty gems gives you a 1-1 gain, breaking any colored gems (not void gems) gives you 1 loyalty per group broken. If you watch the animation carefully you can see the "mana" wooshing to both the spells and the planeswalker.
  • Reaganstorme
    Reaganstorme Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2016
    Hi there tdellaringa!

A lot of us are familiar with the collectable card game version, so short hand lingo is quite common. I'll try to give you a rundown of this version of the game.

Primary objective: get your opponent's life counter down to zero.
    Resources: a deck of 40 cards, 4 multiples each of 10 chosen cards. Your own life counter. Up to 3 different abilities of your Planeswalker.
    Battlefield: you can have up to three creatures on your side at any one time. Supports are placed on the gem field.

Cards you choose are one of three types: Creatures, Spells, or Supports. Each card requires a certain number of gem matches before they can enter the battlefield, indicated by the number in the top right corner, and is called the casting cost. Your planeswalker will have bonuses when matching some colours, and penalties for matching others. There are seven types of gems, described below.

Creatures are the most common way to bring your opponent's life down. They can have various abilities such as flying, first strike, or trample. They will often have one or more abilities described on them that are situational.

Spells are immediate effect actions and have a wide range of outcomes that usually only last for your turn.

Supports bring a beneficial ongoing effect onto the gem field and are protected by a shield indicated by a number. Matching a gem with a shield will remove one of its layers, and when it reaches zero will be removed from the field.

There are 5 coloured gems (white manawhite.png , blue manablue.png , black manablack.png , red manared.png , and green managreen.png ) and two special gems: planeswalker gems manapw.png , and void gems. Matching coloured gems will fill up the casting cost of the top card in your hand (called generating mana), then the one underneath, and so on. Each individual match of 3 or more gems will increase your planeswalker Loyalty bank by 1. Planeswalker gems will only fill up your planeswalker Loyalty bank, and void gems generate no mana, except for special cards which state otherwise.

Matching 4 gems of the same colour will clear the row or column they are in. Matching 5 or more gems of the same colour will let you have one more free match. Generating lots of matches in one turn is called a cascade.

Hope this clarifies things a little.
  • Appreciate that - I'm actually a seasoned MTG player icon_e_smile.gif Was just a bit unclear on loyalty. Thank you!
  • Sorry for hijacking the thread, but how do you activate the pw abilities?
  • fox1342
    fox1342 Posts: 174 Tile Toppler
    Press on the pw head. You'll see the three you have, and your current loyalty. The one's available to you will have a grey highlight. Press to use. There's no confirmation check and I think no relevance check so you can summon from an empty graveyard, or to an already full hand, or to an already full creature slot, so make sure this is what you want to do before you cast.
  • I've been looking about for the name of the gems that appear electrified on the grid, and what affect they have on the game.

(Thanks!)
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    I've been looking about for the name of the gems that appear electrified on the grid, and what affect they have on the game.

(Thanks!)
    Those would be Activate gems. What they do depends on which card/planeswalker they belong to. When they are matched or destroyed by the *owner of the activate gem*, their effect triggers. To figure out what the gem is generated by, tap on it and see what shines.

On a related note, the gems with a dotted circle around them are Trap gems. They are activated when the opponent matches/destroys the gem. You will only be able to see your own Trap gems and you want to do your best to avoid matching them so the opponent will trigger them instead. Your opponent's Trap gems are invisible to you.
  • Hello

I just discover the game and fight a little bit to understand the mechanics inside ...

Is it possible to replay the tutorial at the beginning ? or is there a video of it somewhere ??

Thanks for your help
  • Great! Thank you for the feedback. I've been playing relentlessly and have a good sense now of what these "activating" gems do.