Options
majincob
majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
edited July 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
So the first event prize is going to be Inverter of Truth:

Mythic
Cost: 23
Creature - Eldrazi
Flying, Devoid, "At the beginning of your turn, if there are 1 or more Void gems on the board, convert each Void gem to your Planeswalker's color and take 5 damage. At the end of your turn, ingest 3."
8/8

I really like his abilities and think he is a great card except the guaranteed 5 self damage a turn. In my opinion it should either cost a lot less, like 10, or it should do less damage a turn, or have overwhelming stats. I guess what turns me off is that you can't really do anything to avoid taking the damage. All in all, this isn't good enough to go in a black deck as a finisher vs Hangarback and ingest as mana control isn't really viable yet (at least with what I have).

Self-damaging at this scale is definitely not playable in QB or for grinding story missions, like I assume the new events will be especially if you are color restricted on which planewalkers you can play.

Comments

• khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,080 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    majincob wrote:
    So the first event prize is going to be Inverter of Truth:

Mythic
    Cost: 23
    Creature - Eldrazi
    Flying, Devoid, "At the beginning of your turn, if there are 1 or more Void gems on the board, convert each Void gem to your Planeswalker's color and take 5 damage. At the end of your turn, ingest 3."
    8/8

I really like his abilities and think he is a great card except the guaranteed 5 self damage a turn. In my opinion it should either cost a lot less, like 10, or it should do less damage a turn, or have overwhelming stats. I guess what turns me off is that you can't really do anything to avoid taking the damage. All in all, this isn't good enough to go in a black deck as a finisher vs Hangarback and ingest as mana control isn't really viable yet (at least with what I have).

Self-damaging at this scale is definitely not playable in QB or for grinding story missions, like I assume the new events will be especially if you are color restricted on which planewalkers you can play.

Agreed. Turning a couple of gems to your colour is not worth taking 5 damage.... at all.

All those who want to spend 23 mana for gauranteed 5 damage each turn raise hands
  • Blasphemous
    Options
    It's like our own very cute pocket Chandra....I'll pass.
  • Jazzpha
    Jazzpha Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Only Sarkhan and Ob Nixilis even have life totals high enough to consider the trade-off at all-- and for them, they have better synergies available, I'd have to imagine. Maybe not Ob Nixilis to a great degree, but Sarkhan is definitely going to be focusing on dragons instead.

Liliana doesn't generate enough mana to even get the creature out in a timely fashion, to say nothing of the fact that her life total can't sustain taking 5 damage per turn.

Strange.

The only card I can see this really combo'ing well with is Ulamog, but even then-- that's a lot of mana to invest into a beefed-up Animist's Awakening effect. At that point, if you're not already winning, you've probably already lost.
  • soultwist
    soultwist Posts: 325 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'd be willing to check it out. At first glance it looks like straight garbage but MAYBE it could work.

Liliana doesn't care so much about the mana cost, and black is starting to get some cards that give life so that helps a bit. I don't see much to cause a lot of extra ingest though (which I think would help). Blood-Cursed Knight and/or Shambling Vent would make it interesting.

Or maybe pair it with the red/black planeswalker I don't have and use Crumble to Dust?
  • tdellaringa
    Options
    Also feels too expensive.