Gideon (Battle-Forged) and Jace - Deck Suggestions

Options
Jaymar30
Jaymar30 Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
Hello,
I was an avid player back in Dec thru early March, but I stopped playing until new content was available. Just recently jumped back in and I am wondering how good my go-to decks will hold up with all the new BFZ (and now OTG) content.

Any feedback or recommendations on improvements to the Gideon (Battle-Forged) and Jace decks below would be great. I’d like to know what new cards would complement these decks so I know what to look for.

Gideon Battle-Forged Deck:

Creatures (4):
Blessed Spirits – power up through playing supports
Consul’s Lieutenant – incredibly powerful card especially with Gideon’s buff abilities
Relic Seeker – super OP card (I know its cost as gone up to 15)
War Oracle – solid lifelink

Spells (2):
Enshrouding Mists – keep **** and CL alive until they can be powered up
Alchemist’s Vial – disable creatures

Supports (4):
Sigil of the Empty Throne – churn out 4/4 angels off support plays
Suppression Bonds – low cost support for **** buff and ET-angels
Murder Investigation – keep creatures in play for Gideon buffs
Rogue’s Passage – unlockable creatures and support buff
OR – Yavimaya Coast – low cost support for **** buff and ET-angels

Jace Deck:

Creatures (4):
Disciple of the Ring – great mythic; game winner if played at the right time
Harbinger of the Tides – not as great once depowered, but still a good creature with chance for removal
Mizzium Meddler – I see this has recently been changed; it used to completely kill the AI almost leading to automatic wins (honestly glad to see it depowered)
Soulblade Djinn – solid 12 mana creature with flying and buff ability

Spells (3):
Anchor to the AEther – removal
Day’s Undoing – great for turning the momentum of a match in your favor
Talent of the Telepath – helps get creatures and supports out faster

Support (3):
Claustrophobia – another card that is not as great following balancing
Jace’s Sanctum – combo with Sphinx for mana control
Sphinx’s Tutelage

Comments

• majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I originally was exclusively a Jace player but with all the nerfs to his abilities and making the meddler ability ****, I can't recommend him anymore. If you have the crystals I highly recommend getting Kiora as her first ability really works well with the mana denial theme and if you have green ramp you can put in the best creatures in the game and power out before the AI knows what hit it.

New cards to be aware of off the top of my head:
    Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper is bonkers in blue decks, since you already have the two best blue draw spells you should hope to draw this (I keep hoping and wishing).

Scour from Existence is a common staple in any deck missing better removal.

If you look at your inventory you can sort it now by set, color, rarity etc. and also see all the cards you do not have. I'd recommend going through it.

Ultimately you can still do well with whatever you have as long as you have a game-plan to deal with problematic cards and planeswalkers. I recommend no more than 4 creatures and no less than 2 removal/bounce/disable type cards in a deck. Ideally you are running the broken stuff, otherwise you should make the most synergistic deck you can.

IMO the most OP creatures right now are Gaea's Revenge, and Undergrowth Champion both of which were adjusted with the most recent update. Revenge is now a 16/9, and Champion's cost increased to 16. Both cards are problematic and require several spells and or creatures to deal with unless you have specific answers for them such as supports that disable creatures.
  • Jaymar30
    Jaymar30 Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    Options
    majincob, thank you very much for the feedback