The Hood 3* worth championing?

Options
Jwhitmire36
Jwhitmire36 Posts: 52 Match Maker
edited June 2016 in MPQ Character Discussion
Hood's thread has 63 pages that's not feasible to read through to look for this answer, sorry if I shouldn't post a new topic.

My feeling has always been that Hood was a low priority(if at all) to max level/champion. But now in the Oscorp event I have the opportunity to finish top 50(at least) which rewards 3 hood covers, so I'm wondering if it's worth the effort or not? I've never found a good pairing with him that I found ideal, but I may just be missing something??

Just looking for opinions from more experienced/advanced players than me.

Thanks

Comments

• mikepro
    mikepro Posts: 95 Match Maker
    Options
    I had mine at lvl 127 for the longest time along with bpanther and loki same with patch. Thus far thus season I've fully champed hood,panther and patch. And I'm about 30k iso short of camping loki. I use hood along with jeanbuster in sim and I get a lot of defensive wins from it. That's his only purpose for me is in sheild sim and I've hit 2k and I've only dropped 100 points due to being hit by 5* 400+ teams.

So if u have the covers then yes do it. He does give ghost rider covers for camping. So that's worth while in its self
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Hood's health pool is low, but if you can get someone to tank 2-3 of his colors, he's a monster on either side of the board. He really helps keep enemy AP under control in PvE or PvP, and even on defense in PvP, he can help distract attention away from big hitters until he's downed.

Hood's utility is somewhat limited past the 2-3* transition when you need much bigger hitters to keep up with the plethora of boosted 3* or the 4* characters you encounter, but he's an absolute must sometimes in PvE. I can't tell you how many times using 3* Cap, IM40, and Hood has saved my tail in Simulator or Gauntlet. Hood controls AP, Cap locks down CD tiles or other special tiles, Hood accelerates Cap's CDs, and IM40 does his battery thing.

Is he a must have or a high priority compared to some of the other 3* characters? Not necessarily. Do I regret champing him despite not using him all that often? Not one bit.

If you find yourself struggling on a PvE node, try tossing in Hood or Loki. The results will shock you!
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It is a very good support character who steals a lot of precious AP from the enemy. Also makes huge damage with twin pistols + removes troublesome tiles. Definitely worth championing.
  • Bulls
    Bulls Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Hood im40 and switch are picked like 90% of time if I have to choose a 3* to compleate my team (atm I have l360oml and 11 champed 4*). For over 4 pvp seasons I was runing hood jg and 4*cyc in sim and they had over 50% def wins. Smart playing with him allow you to win a lot of pve fights without reciving single skill cast from ai. And you don't have to look for a much of "synergy" with him - his passive is more than enough.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    absolutely worth it, but it depends on who you have champed. i would not want him at the head of my champs' levels. mine is about in the middle of all my 3s and behind all my top tier 3s (other than cyke - can we please gets some cyke rewards???). he has low health, but is extremely useful at stealing ap from the other team. if you don't have him at 5 blue, and have the top 8-10 characters champed already, champ him and respec him to 5 blue and see how effective he is against character teams. not as effective against the auto ap generation of goons, but very effective against AI's tendency to spread ap gathering over many colors. very effective against slow, powerful, high-ap characters - (think jean, thing, fury, cap, thor, gsbw, grocket, etc.). if i could only have a few 3s, he'd probably be one of them. to me he's top 10, but others downgrade him for his low health more than i do. if you can get someone else tanking for him, he's very powerful.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Depends on where you are in the game and how you plan to use him.

In pve, an underleveled hood can be a very useful tool (since you can tank for him and save health packs, and you don't play hood for his attack damage. But in PvP and underleveled hood is just a big "attack me" sign. Even at max health he is weak enough to be a liability.

But overall, if you are early in your 3* or 4* transition and will rely on hood for a long time, then champ'ing him probably isn't a terrible idea.
  • Jwhitmire36
    Jwhitmire36 Posts: 52 Match Maker
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice.

I'm still filling out my 3* roster, so far 20 champed. I have no usable 4* and 2 1 cover 5*(JG and OML). My top pair is IM40 and KK, adding Hood would make a yellow conflict, the other 3*'s I have are:
    Thor, patch, GSBW, hulk, torch, cyclops, cage, shulk, psylocke, magneto, vision, dr doom, mystique, blade, colossus, IF, loki, and deadpool all under lvl 180.

I ended up getting the 3 Hood covers from Oscorp, once I have enough Iso to max/champ I'll experiment
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hood doesn't conflict with IM40. You'll never use Hood's yellow anyway. He's there to steal AP.

All of the 3*s are worth championing eventually. especially if you don't have any useful 4*s to max out.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Orion wrote:
    All of the 3*s are worth championing eventually. especially if you don't have any useful 4*s to max out.

Exactly that. They all give you access to 4* covers (eventually) so theres no reason not to champion all of them.

Its what I'm doing anyway. Got 9 to go.
  • an1979
    an1979 Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I champed him a few days ago myself.

And I'm dissapointed. Similar with Blade that I champed too (~2 months ago) and I found him lacking... The same problems.

He needs you to leave 10 (or more) tiles on board = big "kick me" sign for AI on your back.

You can't play deny and AI WILL get a cascade sooner or later and AI will use its powers anyway.

(Hood works better with cMagneto after the latter uses Red but AI too will benefit)

He works with IM40+3*CapAmerica against goon-only nodes; and that's all.

(Blade works if AI doesn't need red AP for any power)
  • dokiy
    dokiy Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Yes. Others have posted his benefits. I run 3 star.png Cap, SW, and Hood on difficult PVE nodes (especially survival nodes). Hood helps fuel Cap's shields quicker by stealing the extra 1 redflag.png and blueflag.png Cap needs to keep shields flowing. SW makes lots of purple that Hood can also steal to allow a 5 turn stun more often. You get the other team stun locked and 5K of damage form Hood's yellowflag.png makes things go so much quicker.
  • Starsaber
    Starsaber Posts: 206
    Options
    3*Cap/Hood/KK is my Enchilada team and one of my go to PVE teams (though recently I've been using Blade in his spot sometimes). His yellow is a lot more useful than Cap's (despite ending the turn) and this results in rainbow active power coverage.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    an1979 wrote:

He needs you to leave 10 (or more) tiles on board = big "kick me" sing for AI on your back.

You can't play deny and AI WILL get a cascade sooner or later and AI will use its powers anyway.

It's not usually worth deliberately leaving tiles out in order to drain them. I treat it as though it's just a random AP drain - nice when it happens, but usually too risky to try to intentionally trigger unless the board distribution is odds-defyingly perfect.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I like Hood. He's squishy as can be, though.

I found him extremely useful in PVP climbs when I had OML around 375. OML needs a lot of AP, Hood needs a meat shield... Good combo.

In PVE, he works well in long matches AS LONG AS THERE IS NO AOE (or if you have Quake)

The thing about Hood is that he isn't quick AP steal/generation. So he's best against someone with expensive moves (Thor, for example). And he's good in long matches, bleeding your opponent out over time.

His yellow is decent enough, I usually get enough AP just from stealing in a long match. Can take out some out of the way CD or invis tiles, or do major damage with XFDP.