New Mission Difficulty Test: Enemy of the State *Updated

Comments

• rubix_qube
    rubix_qube Posts: 69 Match Maker
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Varg,

The reason that demiurge doesn't want to give out more prog rewards is that doing so would mean giving out more prizes. Every cover they give out is one they don't sell via token packs or cp direct buy. I think it's possible to argue that better rewards lead to more player engagement/good will which is good for the game; but it's also possible to say that more rewards = less revenue.

With placement rewards we fight each other, and only a set % of players get anything. The rewards rate is fixed. With prog rewards, demiurge has to calibrate the difficulty appropriately (too low and everyone gets them, too high and no one does). It's more work them, and it (arguably) generates less revenue.

They could at least make one of these tests to try to see how badly going all progression could be. Make the rewards for that event Bagman, Ragnarok and Chulk if you are afraid of putting too much power in the player's hands. If they are happy to toy with our patience and test the limits of the tedium and time investment that we're willing to put towards these tests, surely ONE test that has the risk of benefiting the players cannot such a blow to their bottom line.
    fmftint wrote:
    So, are we going to get any follow up on this? A lot of questions have been asked in the last 24 hours.
    Last test we were promised open communication and got /one/ post from a dev. This time they promised nothing sooo...

They've already tested this type of event with the Gauntlet runs. The devs should have a good idea what levels are too easy and what are too difficult. We all found out what too difficult was during the Gauntlet after the first Civil War event. They had to dial that one back a bunch. Any event can be run as a gauntlet style event, just make each sub progressively harder to start so that reaching top rewards is still challenging. Each sub's rewards can also increase (maybe with more iso or perhaps extra event tokens) as each sub gets tougher to grind.

I'm not sure I understand their apprehension at giving what the customers are begging for. I don't buy in to the "customer is always right" slogan, but sometimes they are. Give it a shot one time, devs.
  • TheRealJRad
    TheRealJRad Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]
    However, we saw that people were still playing according to a schedule

This is the reason I stopped caring about PvE. This is a game, not a job. However, now it's "who has the most time when the sub opens?" due to the tiebreaker.

Side note. The PvEs where you get entered into a sub without hitting a node first would completely invalidate this system. Just because I choose a 10pm end time doesn't mean I can start a new sub at 10:01, just means I can finish my clears by then.

Eliminate placements. Enhance progressions. It's that simple.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    I think these changes will benefit the casual fan base quite a bit. No one likes playing a node to get no rewards, and I get to play whenever I feel like it.
    Yep. Casual players with underdeveloped rosters are going to love seeing their characters get demolished on the hard/essential nodes and want to play the game more often because they can get more rewards if they can just get their level 120 roster past that level 300 Wolverine/feeder node one more time.

[/sarcasm]
  • biryon
    biryon Posts: 148 Tile Toppler
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Varg,

The reason that demiurge doesn't want to give out more prog rewards is that doing so would mean giving out more prizes. Every cover they give out is one they don't sell via token packs or cp direct buy. I think it's possible to argue that better rewards lead to more player engagement/good will which is good for the game; but it's also possible to say that more rewards = less revenue.

With placement rewards we fight each other, and only a set % of players get anything. The rewards rate is fixed. With prog rewards, demiurge has to calibrate the difficulty appropriately (too low and everyone gets them, too high and no one does). It's more work them, and it (arguably) generates less revenue.

They've said before that selling roster slots is one of their main sources of income, so I really don't understand their reluctance to get single covers of characters (especially new releases) into the hands of as many players as possible. Case in point: I managed to finish just outside top 100 for the last 3 new releases. Had I gotten the single cover for each, that would have wiped out my hp and I would've had to buy more. Instead, I still have my hp stockpile and no reason to give Demiurge/D3 any money.
  • Kevin61
    Kevin61 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    I simply see this as a clustertinykitty of EPIC proportions!
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Last time this ran I mostly just mined the nodes for rewards and maybe hit the wave nodes once or twice for better placement. Worked pretty well, but I fell just short of final progression. Lower total progression this time means the same tactic may be viable. In a way I hope there's just one reward for the survival nodes so I don't have to replay them though...
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Adding more rewards doesn't really help us though, does it. Considering we are still limited to 10 health packs, there would be no way to achieve all the rewards without buying health packs so you'd basically end up at a loss anyway.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Adding more rewards doesn't really help us though, does it. Considering we are still limited to 10 health packs, there would be no way to achieve all the rewards without buying health packs so you'd basically end up at a loss anyway.
    That's one of the reasons I like to play true healers, it really Cuts back on Health pack consumption.
  • Nick441234
    Even those wouldn't save you for long on survival nodes though. We really need the health packs doubling if they are going down this route.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Even those wouldn't save you for long on survival nodes though. We really need the health packs doubling if they are going down this route.

I heard you can buy health packs.
  • lockvine
    lockvine Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    I'm looking forward to another test. Them trying different things is what lets them see the real results. I also like the concept of letting me play on my schedule for the subs. Since I never place t10 i'm not overly concerned about placement. I do however think they should go to a system that has a fixed top threshold like this one "AND" allow for multiple people to hold the same place. So if you have 15 people that can grind every node to 0 for every sub. You would have 15 people earning 1st place rewards. The 16th person with one point less earns 16th place rewards. Basically in the case of ties you both get the same reward. However you also get the placement based on the number of people ahead of you.
  • Nick441234
    madsalad wrote:

I heard you can buy health packs.

As I did mention just two posts up. However, with the money you'd spend on those health packs, you'd come out at a loss when you had all the rewards.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just champed Quake (thanks, Civil War!) so I'm kind of looking forward to the survival nodes. Do your worst, Caltrops.
  • WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker
    So only the first 10 in each bracket that manage to do faster all the clears per 7 days-subs are allowed to get the 4* cover? icon_eek.gificon_e_surprised.gif

This is the most stupid and unfair rule you ever made so, thanx NO, I will skip the whole event.....

7 days of early and mad grinding.....(21+54) x 7 days and if you got a bad board in only one or some of the 525 total battles and loose precious minutes of gameplay, you will finish minutes late and will be out of the top 10?

Are you serious Devs? icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gif

Give us progression rewards and stop this madness
  • XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    WEBGAS wrote:
    So only the first 10 in each bracket that manage to do faster all the clears per 7 days-subs are allowed to get the 4* cover? icon_eek.gificon_e_surprised.gif

This is the most stupid and unfair rule you ever made so, thanx NO, I will skip the whole event.....

7 days of early and mad grinding.....(21+54) x 7 days and if you got a bad board in only one or some of the 525 total battles and loose precious minutes of gameplay, you will finish minutes late and will be out of the top 10?

Are you serious Devs? icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gif

Give us progression rewards and stop this madness

You don't have to grind early all 7 days - just the last one. Everyone will have the same max score going into the last event regardless of their ranking. Whoever finishes that last event first wins, even if they were the last person to full clear each previous sub.
  • ThatOneGuyjp189512
    ThatOneGuyjp189512 Posts: 543 Critical Contributor
    Having just gone through each node once, i can tell you without a doubt this is the worst time i've ever had in this game. I grinded the last wave node trying to get the token, i did it NINE times before the token dropped. My scaling started at 251 and on my last one was at 381, even with Quake champed and boosted at 350 pyros were still doing 5k team damage(and that's with 6k less cause of quake) and soon as i got it my first immediately thought "no way i'm doing anymore".
  • WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker

You don't have to grind early all 7 days - just the last one. Everyone will have the same max score going into the last event regardless of their ranking. Whoever finishes that last event first wins, even if they were the last person to full clear each previous sub.

Even if you were correct, is the whole systems that sucks because unfair.
    It doesn't count your ability to play, it's only a matter of a large amount of free time to play, at the beginning of the sub-event and your luck to get good boards in order to clear every nodes multiple times, faster than your bracket adversary.

It's absolutely insane and unfair icon_evil.gif
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm reminded of when they added placement rewards to the Gauntlet.

You'll notice that only happened one time, so one would think they'd learned from that...

But mohawk as the prize... this test will likely not reveal enough insights.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sub one rewards :

Hard and essential all have
    1x 70 iso, 2x 100 iso, 5x 250 iso
    Hard and essential wave have 3x 500 iso, 2x std token and 1 crit boost
    Hard wave has gold token
    essential wave has 1000 iso
    Hard and essential non wave have 4x500 iso, either 2 cp and 1 std or 2 std and 1 crit boost
    Easy 3x 70 iso, 2 x 100 iso, 4x 200 iso, 2 x std (easy wave has one less 200 and 1000 instead)

Total = 22030 iso plus at least 1400 iso from std tokens

credit to Pumpin81 for the research!

This is a huge improvement in rewards. Haven't hit insane scaling yet, but i am sure it will show up eventually.
  • thanos8587
    thanos8587 Posts: 653
    Malcrof wrote:
    Sub one rewards :

Hard and essential all have
    1x 70 iso, 2x 100 iso, 5x 250 iso
    Hard and essential wave have 3x 500 iso, 2x std token and 1 crit boost
    Hard wave has gold token
    essential wave has 1000 iso
    Hard and essential non wave have 4x500 iso, either 2 cp and 1 std or 2 std and 1 crit boost
    Easy 3x 70 iso, 2 x 100 iso, 4x 200 iso, 2 x std (easy wave has one less 200 and 1000 instead)

Total = 22030 iso plus at least 1400 iso from std tokens

credit to Pumpin81 for the research!

This is a huge improvement in rewards. Haven't hit insane scaling yet, but i am sure it will show up eventually.

and this takes how much time? icon_redface.gif