**** Kate Bishop (Hawkeye) ****

Comments

• Skygazing
    Skygazing Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Looks balanced enough you'd switch a bunch once she's champed, but looks like 553 is the 'best' build, with the guaranteed damage instead of CD based (read: unreliable) damage.

I actually think her purple might be her best power. Two turns isn't that bad, and even if it gets matched you have strike tiles with collective 905 strength. Then if it goes off you deal 8012-8555 damage, depending on whether removed strike tiles are counted. So for 10 AP you can potentially deal 8k damage and walk away with 2 strength 181 strike tiles. Compare this to HB black (and red), which costs 11 AP and effectively deals 6378 damage, deals 1541 to self, and creates 2 strength 354 strike tiles. Not saying she's HB tier, but for 1 AP less you're getting a comparable power.

5/3/5 with SW, and maybe Nova as a third, seems like it could be fun.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 684 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2016
    Damage per AP:
    blue - 827/ap
    black - 934/ap
    purple - 765/ap on a randomly placed 2-turn CD

Purple depends on CD resolution for the damage and it has the lowest damage ratio of the 3, but you get the consolation prize of more strike tiles if it's destroyed. It should go well with characters that make lots of low-level strike tiles to be removed instead of her decent ones.

The special effects on the other moves don't add or subtract much. The self-damage CD on black can be removed by Kingpin, Drax, and OML, but they all use black to do so.

While her damage is good for a 4*, 5*s make her irrelevant. Her only hope is if the anti-healing tile prevents Dark Phoenix from rising. Another one for the pile.
  • Gari
    Gari Posts: 92 Match Maker
    Damage per AP:
    blue - 827/ap
    black - 934/ap
    purple - 765/ap on a randomly placed 2-turn CD

Purple depends on CD resolution for the damage and it's the lowest of the 3, but you get the consolation prize of more strike tiles if it's destroyed. It should go well with characters that make lots of low-level strike tiles to be removed instead of her decent ones.

The special effects on the other moves don't add or subtract much. The self-damage CD on black can be removed by Kingpin, Drax, and OML, but they all use black to do so.

While her damage is good for a 4*, 5*s make her irrelevant. Her only hope is if the anti-healing tile prevents Dark Phoenix from rising. Another one for the pile.

to be more precise its one recharge for blue vs If purple for black, or using SW for purple. Never interested in any 5s argument, since its irrevelant to most. Blue looks to be the fastest, and HB takes even more dmg that you cannot mitigate. How good purple is will depend on how good you are at cascading, same with IF doing purple when HB strikes are out.
  • Cthulhu
    Cthulhu ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 410 Site Admin
    Updated with the stats from the latest build I received.
  • Cthulhu
    I'm working on the icon for her, sorry for temp putting in Hawkeye's, will address soon!
  • Cthulhu
    done with the smilie too
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks, C't. Kate Bishop now added to the character compendium.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes, stuns stop regen - although web bandages/playing drums can still heal stunned allies. Still, I think the last word on healing is that KO'd opponents can't get healed either, even "no healing for 5 turns" doesn't actually guarantee that you've beaten them; damage is all that matters. And in that case, her Blue does have some pretty big damage.

I think her biggest problem is that she'll be slow. Blue has big damage, sure, but it's not "massive" damage; it's a great opener, but you're still going to need something up your sleeve to finish the target off. And as 12 AP it's starting to feel a little slow. Even her Black ability is 8 AP which isn't quite at that "spammable" level that a 6 AP ability is at. You really want to be casting any of her abilities more than once, and she doesn't have any AP acceleration of her own.

On top of all that, her abilities are just a bit of a mess, mechanically speaking (IMO). It looks as though the devs wanted to try some new stuff, which I applaud, but the implementation doesn't impress me. I think the Boomerang ability should return a portion of its cost in some way (for reference, see: Captain America, Human Torch) and I'd probably change blue entirely - it's called Ruthless Precision but it looks as though it creates a random tile. How precise is that? Here's my hot take:

Ruthless Precision/Quick Draw
    Spend all Blue AP and deal damage per AP spent. (Passive) for each X blue AP stored, reduce the cost of Kate's other abilities by 1.
    Scale damage/AP up by level and/or reduce the X count on the passive to a minimum of Y/Z.

This is both something we've seen before - the "Overkill" style ability like Onslaught or Rocketpunch - and something new. I've designed the damage portion to essentially represent draw a bow to it's full strength; you can cast it quick if you need just a bit of damage, or really draw the arrow back to maximise its flight. The passive is designed to encourage you to keep your AP in reserve, the effect is two-fold, faster abilities and a bigger hit when you do spend that blue AP. Of course, now spending that Blue means costs return to their defaults, so there's a bit of a question about whether you spend or not.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    So, five black is *required*. Big damage per AP, a fairly fast skill at 8 AP, and a significant drop in self-damage. Plus, you have three turns to match the tile away.

For general utility, I think 3/5/5 is best: 10 AP skills are quite a bit easier to fire than 12 AP, and at five covers it makes 5 strikes while the countdown tile only clears three. The damage is solid, and you don't mind too much if you lose the countdown and keep the strikes.

5/5/3 is the highest in direct damage per AP, but 12 AP is slow and the anti-healing tile is incredibly specific in its effect. Sure, that's nice against OML or Silver Surfer (and we need to see what this means for Phoenix's resurrection), but actually killing them is even nicer. This build is only for anti-healer specialization or people who are desperate for big damage on a blue skill.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sadly, her strong and fast black skill won't be eligible for a teamup skill, because of the direct (non-ally) self-damage component. Compare to Ares yellow and Juggernaut red.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think it would be far more useful to have her anti healing be a permanent passive effect or a much cheaper (6ap) much lower damage ability to make it worthwhile.

12ap to prevent healing against a character who will kill you with match damage far before you ever get the ap (oml) is no good really.

The only other healers

Surfer - is anyone scared of him anyway?
    X23 - only time I see her is when she's boosted, despite being an excellent character.
    Patch - you're kidding right? Nearly everyone in the 4* tier can one shot him.
    Xfw - his heal is unaffected by Kate's skill and rarely goes off anyway.
    LDaken - again his low health means he's no threat unless boosted.

Now If the ability also stops passive burst heals (like kk) or Phoenix ressurrection it has more utility but still unlikely to be used unless they lower AP cost.
  • Philly484
    Philly484 Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    I feel like its a slap in the face to all players by the devs for adding her. I'm fine with obscure characters, but to add someone who probably has not been a highly requested character, whats the point of them having the polls asking us who we would like to see in MPQ? Ive seen maybe 1 post saying someone requested her. Well happy for that 1% or less for getting someone they wanted icon_rolleyes.gif . Seems like a missed opportunity once again. Everyone can probably count that we will not get any X-Men related characters for the rest of the year. If we get one the only one that comes to mind is Rogue and that is only due to the fact that she an Avenger now. The name should just be changed to Avenger/Spider-Man Puzzle Quest. I vote that if they ask again in an up coming poll who we would like to see everyone only ask for X-Men verse characters and see if the devs get the hint. End rant.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Philly484 wrote:
    I feel like its a slap in the face to all players by the devs for adding her. I'm fine with obscure characters, but to add someone who probably has not been a highly requested character, whats the point of them having the polls asking us who we would like to see in MPQ? Ive seen maybe 1 post saying someone requested her. Well happy for that 1% or less for getting someone they wanted icon_rolleyes.gif . Seems like a missed opportunity once again. Everyone can probably count that we will not get any X-Men related characters for the rest of the year. If we get one the only one that comes to mind is Rogue and that is only due to the fact that she an Avenger now. The name should just be changed to Avenger/Spider-Man Puzzle Quest. I vote that if they ask again in an up coming poll who we would like to see everyone only ask for X-Men verse characters and see if the devs get the hint. End rant.
    So many things wrong in this post...
    First of all, the polls aren't in any way binding. It's just a way to ask for suggestions from the Community who they'd like to see. Some can be done, others can't, for various reasons.
    Secondly, there's plenty of people who like Kate. There are several in my Alliance that are excited to get her. It's impossible to have everyone be happy about every character choice. Only the devs know how many people suggested Kate be added to the game.
    Also, I am fairly sure this game has more than 100 players...
  • Philly484
    Philly484 Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    Quebbster wrote:
    Philly484 wrote:
    So many things wrong in this post...
    First of all, the polls aren't in any way binding. It's just a way to ask for suggestions from the Community who they'd like to see. Some can be done, others can't, for various reasons.
    Secondly, there's plenty of people who like Kate. There are several in my Alliance that are excited to get her. It's impossible to have everyone be happy about every character choice. Only the devs know how many people suggested Kate be added to the game.
    Also, I am fairly sure this game has more than 100 players...

Well here is whats wrong with your post.... One: If there are a Million players that play this game pretty sure that even 10,000 people would be a high number of ppl requesting her which I doubt. Two: My alliance was not so impressed with her inclusion, the consensus was well lets be top 10 get her, and then she basically get used like other lack luster 4* when she required for PVE and never used again. Three: I never said that everyone can be happy, "Missed opportunity" was implied that they could have used an array of many characters that could still fit these skill set. Four: Never said that they strictly adhere to the polls, but to me looking at it why ask the player base what we want if they already know and have the intentions of how they are going to add.

And some extra side notes if anyone else decides they want to "come at me bro!" I understand the licensees conundrum and how Marvel isn't going to go out of there way to promote X-Men and Fantastic Four franchises. Also, to say something can't be done when the game already includes various heroes and villains that fall under the Marvel umbrella is not a good counter argument in the fact Marvel has the right to everyone of their characters regardless of franchising and who can do what. They still make money from any form in which their characters are used regardless of who holds franchising and merchandising rights, because they still fall under the Marvel Umbrella. So if D3 wanted to get really Obscure and add a character like Mantis, Moon Dragon, heck they could include Dracula for all I care, they have a numerous list of characters to choose from, and more are probably more highly requested than others with just having the common sense enough to know, without having to see what data is sent to them.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    happy to see a character I don't feel the urge to grind for or to put much iso into. more of this please...
  • JangoLore
    JangoLore Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    TxMoose wrote:
    happy to see a character I don't feel the urge to grind for or to put much iso into. more of this please...

But the required character nodes.... icon_e_surprised.gif
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Elektra's shadow step shows a healing animation when her trap tiles negate damage. I wonder if that's going to be affected by Kate.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    When I see numbers like the ones for "Looking for trouble" I get really mad at XForce green nerf. WhyTF was it nerfed?!?!?!?

Now, Kate, I am also very surprised why a character like this has been included in the game, yeah Hawkeye series has been fairly good recently but including a secondary character, instead of the other much more well known chars we still don't have is ... Strange. (You see what I did there icon_e_wink.gificon_e_wink.gificon_e_wink.gif )

The powers are ok, black is really good, purple is also quite good, the strike tiles are quite strong (a pity the clash of blacks with Punisher) and if the countdown resolves you get a very nice damage. Blue is strong, but 12 AP is a lot, specially for the second ability. Undecided with the build, maybe 3/5/5 ? 5/3/5 to go with Punisher or Nova?

And then, I think I have never been less excited for a new 4. It is not that she is bad, it is just that she is completely forgettable, and after two other 4s that we got this month (which are also forgettable), I am now 100% sure I am never going to put too much iso into her (or the other two). 5s are now at 15% so new 4s are worth nothing now, NOTHING. This is now a game of 5s, and nothing they can release in the 4 space is going to change that.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    JangoLore wrote:
    TxMoose wrote:

But the required character nodes.... icon_e_surprised.gif
    In Venombomb? Not a huge loss...
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Actually it is a bit funny to see her numbers. They seem so high, and then you look at Chulk and see he does 3k for 12.
    icon_e_sad.gif