**** Kate Bishop (Hawkeye) ****

Comments

• Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    Is it just me, or does Kate's in-game bio feel like it's a super cheesy attempt at being funny? Almost like a half-tinykittied attempt at being humorous like the Howard PvE came up way short.
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Her icon is going to be a pair of sun glasses, looks similar to blades.
  • Kevin61
    Kevin61 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    icon_e_confused.gif About the same interest in her as in having Cho on my roster.
  • Lilith
    Lilith Posts: 65 Match Maker
    On the plus-side, all of these people who have no interest in adding her to their roster should make it pretty easy for me to hit top 100 since no one is going to be grinding for her.... right? icon_lol.gif
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    OJSP wrote:
    Smudge wrote:
    Is it just me, or does Kate's in-game bio feel like it's a super cheesy attempt at being funny? Almost like a half-tinykittied attempt at being humorous like the Howard PvE came up way short.
    I haven't read the comics, but I got the impression that's just how they are portrayed in them. Just like Modern Hawkeye's Speed Shot has "Is on now, bro" in the description.

Apparently..
    enhanced-3900-1410361725-1.jpg
    I figured as much. Don't get me wrong, cutesy humor is fine from time to time. You get a lot of that with BW and Hawkeye in the MCU to be fair. Kate's bio just struck me as poorly written, almost like the writer tried too hard to be cheesy.
  • smoq84
    smoq84 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    To be honest it looks for me like the worst new character release since Squirrel Girl icon_razz.gif

The skill set is lame. And Kate Bishop isn't so popular. There are sooo many other characters who should already be in the game. Why this another Hawkeye variant instead of for example Gambit, Nightcrawler, Angel, Rogue... Yeah, I know that I mentioned only X-Men, and I know the answer is probably "Fox", but it's so irritating...
  • Insert25c
    Insert25c Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    So the teenage debutant with 0 powers beyond "did high school archery" and 45 minutes of experience is more powerful than Clint Barton; Avenger, West Coast Avenger, circus performer, fought Iron Man single handed, replaced Echo as Ronin, took out a Kree warship by rocket-head butting it (go tinykitty yourself Bendis). FFS if we're gonna have star level match rarity AND power. Can we at least PRETEND to care about who fits where. At this rate 5* Aunt May is gonna one shot the Hulk with a cascade of diabetes triggering super osteoperosis.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 689 Critical Contributor
    Full stats please.
  • Diarchos
    Diarchos Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    This char. is about as much fun as a heart attack,

Nothing of her skills interesnt me, so I´ll skip this one

Lot of fun Marvel Folks out there like one of the best in my opinion Killgrave from Jessica Jones,

Hope he gets in like a weird version of Prof X
  • Philly79
    Philly79 Posts: 422 Mover and Shaker
    Not. Fun. At. All.....I thought I saw the worst character when Cho was released but I guess I was wrong icon_e_sad.gif ....as others mentioned, why is an unpopular character with a completely lame skillset being thrown into the mix when there are sooo many other worthy characters out there deserving a 4* rating?
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    smoq84 wrote:
    To be honest it looks for me like the worst new character release since Squirrel Girl icon_razz.gif

The skill set is lame. And Kate Bishop isn't so popular. There are sooo many other characters who should already be in the game. Why this another Hawkeye variant instead of for example Gambit, Nightcrawler, Angel, Rogue... Yeah, I know that I mentioned only X-Men, and I know the answer is probably "Fox", but it's so irritating...
    Can't agree with "worst since Squirrel Girl". Squirrel Girl is niche, and does well when used as a niche character, much like Doctor Octopus or Daredevil. They all have powers that are specific counters. Kate counters entirely different group: burst and true healers. It's not balanced well right now, with too much cost for regular effectiveness, but having the damage up-front will do that. Cho, on the other hand, has a single damage ability, a heal that you probably won't get to use, and that countdown that can get you some green, but makes charged tiles and uses up the blue he needs to make the damaging ability worth a damn. I don't think she'll end up being that bad. Look at it this way: do you care if the enemy matches her count downs away? Blue already did its damage, black already did its damage, and trading damage loss for getting to keep the strike tiles sounds fair enough on the purple. Is she as good as Winter Soldier? Probably not quite as good. As War Machine? I don't know. I only managed one cover. Waiting for PVP to see more. As Good as Drax?... She's probably better than Drax. Drax was pretty poorly designed.

I would have preferred a better known character though. I really thought this was going to be a Daken, or someone who's actually known for stopping heals. Archangel would have been perfect. Someone mentioned poison of some kind on the feather-blades. The Black could be a wing-clipping fly-by that he has to recover from or crash (Reckless Dive or Wild Dive). Purple throws out blades to make the strike tiles, then recovers them later. Well, we can dream.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Would've been good if her black was any other color, so it'd synergize with Kingpin.

As-is, mediocre unless her damage scales like crazy - all of her mechanics just seem like they're different for the sake of being different. She might occasionally be useful against Wolverines (mostly OML), but even then there are better ways to deal with his healing than "bringing an otherwise trashy character along."
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    12 blue to stop healing for 3 turns, Iceman does that for 4 turns at half the cost
    Self damage? Really? Why?
    Boomerangs needs to return ap when the CD resolves
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 689 Critical Contributor
    I suppose it prevents all 3 characters from healing... meh. Might be useful to get the AI to waste some AP. Looks like they're basing her on Green Arrow and his trick arrows.

I withhold judgment until we get her level 270 stats.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,904 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would imagine her only value is going to be against goon nodes. The ability to stop heals will be useful against all those annoying Lieutenant and Koran heals (assuming the turns increases with covers).

If she is paired with Quake then Quake can clean up the CD's on her 2 damage skills leaving you with the strike tiles. The only overlap in power is Blue and if the Goons don't have a healer then Quake can use all the Blue

A pure niche character for sure and only worth rostering if you are going to use her in PvE goon nodes.

KGB
  • Skygazing
    Skygazing Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Hope this doesn't violate any rules, given that she's available now.

Level 270

HP 13995

Ruthless Precision (12 AP)
      3 Covers. Deals 4253 damage and the Countdown tile lasts 3 turns. 4 Covers. Deals 6144 damage and the Countdown tile lasts 4 turns. 5 Covers. Deals 9925 damage and the Countdown tile lasts 5 turns.
    Looking For Trouble (8 AP)
      3 Covers. Deals 4276 damage, Countdown tile lasts 3 turns and deals 1588 damage to Kate. 4 Covers. Deals 5539 damage, Countdown tile lasts 4 turns and deals 1588 damage to Kate. 5 Covers. Deals 7470 damage, Countdown tile lasts 4 turns and deals 902 damage to Kate.
    Because... Boomerangs (10 AP)
      3 Covers. Creates 3 strength 127 Strike tiles, Countdown tile lasts 3 turns and deals 4691 damage. 4 Covers. Creates 4 strength 145 Strike tiles, Countdown tile lasts 2 turns and deals 5232 damage. 5 Covers. Creates 5 strength 181 Strike tiles, Countdown tile lasts 2 turns and deals 7650 damage.
    (Countdown tile always removes 3 Strike tiles)
  • PeterGibbons316
    PeterGibbons316 Posts: 1,063
    Damn, that's a pretty big nuke for such a nice bonus tile from a blue ability. Unfortunately I still think Iceman is a better OML counter. For 12 AP Kate prevents heal and does 10k damage, but Iceman can prevent both heal and match damage for 4 turns, and then for another 6 can punch for 8k if you want the damage, or you can save it for another 4-turn stun.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Looks balanced enough you'd switch a bunch once she's champed, but looks like 553 is the 'best' build, with the guaranteed damage instead of CD based (read: unreliable) damage.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Looks balanced enough you'd switch a bunch once she's champed, but looks like 553 is the 'best' build, with the guaranteed damage instead of CD based (read: unreliable) damage.
    Personally I like the idea of level 900 strike tiles on the board, it makes it win-win whether the countdown gets matched or not. Then again blue and black are both ruthless at 5 covers...
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't really see the purpose of the her blue healing blocker (though it's another blue nuke, which were relatively rare in the 4* space just 3 weeks ago).

Countdowns are fragile and temporary. And the cost is quite high. There are relatively few circumstances when I desperately need to stop the other team from healing, but only for 5 rounds and only AFTER I have collected 12 ap of a specific cover. It just seems like a new power designed for the sake of being new, rather than actually serving much purpose.

Also, re: her black. Whew! I am so glad that XFW's green doesn't do 3400 damage + boardshake for 8ap any more. that was so OP! Bring on the Iron Fist/Cyclops style 4* power creep. . .