Thor (Marvel NOW!) - 2*

Comments

• @nihilium: Like I said, don't worry about it. If you wait, pair him up with someone who has a good red skill so you won't waste red AP.

Speaking of which though, for this tournament who would you team up with a 3/5/5 Thor?
  • There really is no "correct" build for him anymore. All of them will cripple one ability's usefulness.
  • nihilium
    nihilium Posts: 242
    Now the token gave me 2 yellow covers ..
    Use them on my 5/3/3 thor or start a new one with them and go 3/5/5 so haaard to decide icon_e_sad.gif
  • As long as you have 5 in yellow the rest don't matter as much. If you put it in green you don't have to worry about pairing him up with a stronger green character for a while, though eventually you want to pair him with GSBW for obvious synergy. For his red it just means you should only use it when there's a yellow match available because otherwise adding 3 is too few and risks doing nothing. When there is an available yellow match, that implies the yellow tiles are clustered somewhat close together so it's easier to trigger a cascade.

He also owns Patch on offense. Wait until Patch uses Berserker Rage, and you use Thunder Strike. Should pretty much always put away the game as now he likely has no strike tiles while you still have yours.
  • Similar quandary to OP:

My level 50 Thor is currently sitting on 5/4/3, with yellow and green covers to spare and about to expire.

Should I bother going 5/5/3 or even 5/4/4 or should I just restart with a 3/5/5 in mind?

My reluctance to restart is because quite frankly, even nerfed, sadly his red power is among the strongest I have in my current roster.
    I don't really have a viable replacement for red power damage at this stage, although I guess my **Wolverine with 5/3/2 at the moment could fit that bill, albeit at a higher AP cost.
    Thanks for any insights offered.
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    I had built my Thor 5/4/4 pre-nerf and I think the build is pretty good. The 4 yellow gives a decent amount of green and the damage from his green, while not maxed, is still good. If they ever actually do offer respec, I'll probably max his yellow and/or green instead of red, but the build isn't bad enough for me to completely trash and rebuild him.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Similar quandary to OP:

My level 50 Thor is currently sitting on 5/4/3, with yellow and green covers to spare and about to expire.

Should I bother going 5/5/3 or even 5/4/4 or should I just restart with a 3/5/5 in mind?

My reluctance to restart is because quite frankly, even nerfed, sadly his red power is among the strongest I have in my current roster.
    I don't really have a viable replacement for red power damage at this stage, although I guess my **Wolverine with 5/3/2 at the moment could fit that bill, albeit at a higher AP cost.
    Thanks for any insights offered.

Just go with 5/5/3 and wait until they implement respec. Starting over for a slightly more optimal build isn't worth the 50 levels of iso + 13 covers you invested into your current Thor. The most important part is that you get 5 yellow, since you wont be using Thor as your main source of dps as your 2* roster develops anyways. 25% more damage on red vs green isn't going to make or break the character.
  • Elric_VIII
    Elric_VIII Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    I got a few Thor covers in the last event (thanks to a roughly 200 point swing in the last 10 min). My Thor is 3/4/4 right now and I'm wondering what the better build is for him. I have a red and a green cover, but I think I'm only going to use 1 of them since his yellow seems to be his best ability.

So, do you recommend 3/5/5 for more endgame finishing power or 4/5/4 for more early damage?
  • 3/5/5 all day
  • Thorzhamer
    Thorzhamer Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    I'd say green is his best ability now.... I'd set it up 3 5 5 if I could now.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Thorzhamer wrote:

Nah: as you grow into a 3* roster, the green ability can become obsolete. Thor's best ability is yellow: 12AP for 9 green tiles in a rare color is really good given the current roster lineup.
  • Elric_VIII
    Elric_VIII Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    Thorzhamer wrote:

Nah: as you grow into a 3* roster, the green ability can become obsolete. Thor's best ability is yellow: 12AP for 9 green tiles in a rare color is really good given the current roster lineup.

That was my thought on the matter. I'm on the cusp of a 3* team. I have a L50 Spidey at 3/4/3, a L34 Punisher at 2/1/5, and a level 53 IM40 at 3/1/2. I'm just waiting to see how the Spidey nerfs turn out before choosing to pump iso into him or Punisher first.

I think I'll level green and ditch my red cover, then.
  • Elric VIII wrote:
    That was my thought on the matter. I'm on the cusp of a 3* team. I have a L50 Spidey at 3/4/3, a L34 Punisher at 2/1/5, and a level 53 IM40 at 3/1/2. I'm just waiting to see how the Spidey nerfs turn out before choosing to pump iso into him or Punisher first.
    Punisher benefits more from levels and fairly probably still will. Your max level on him's probably a bit low there, though, and you're not really hurting anything by sitting on ISO until you're more sure what using it will mean long-term.

I'm not convinced 5/5/3 doesn't still make sense for Thor. His green is his best damage in isolation now, but his practical use is feeding a better green with his yellow. Still, you probably won't use his red, either, so may as well do 3/5/5 for when he's buffed.
  • My Thor is currently sitting at 3/1/2 and I just got a red cover. I have looked around and it seems like the most popular build is 3/5/5. Why is that? His green is fairly expensive, and the red is really cheap. Plus, so many other heroes have good green abilities that work well with Thor.
  • NorthernPolarity
    The problem is most other covers also have a red ability (A. Wolvie in particular) that is typically better than the Thor red. From the times I've used it, 3 yellow doesn't meaningfully impact the board, and 1k damage is pretty low for 8 red, given that Wolvie can do ~2.7k for 12. While green isn't the greatest either due to the same reasoning (Curse you wolvie!), a buffed Thor's green is essentially a GSBW sniper rifle, so people prefer having that option more. I personally don't think it matters as the only truly good ability Thor has is yellow (and that's what I use him for when I sub him into my 3* roster), so I would go ahead and level up the red as I think a maxed Thor is more important than having a 3/5/5 Thor over a 5/5/3 Thor The yellow is definitely required though.
  • From a pure Damage to AP ratio, you are getting almost a 300:1 for his green and only about a 125:1 for his red.

Plus he has an ability that feeds his green, which makes it even less costlier.

Also, it gives you some versatility in your attacking. You can whittle an enemy down to under 1000, switch to another one and whittle him down under 2000 and then drop the hammer and wipe out two enemies by the time you charge it up.

-- // --

But you are right, if you do bring Thor along in a group, it's probably not going to be as a main damage dealer. So, his green probably won't come into play. But when he IS buffed, you are going to wish you built him with 5 green.
  • You may as well use the Red cover now.

Respec system is coming in the next update, so you will be able to correct later on when you get your green covers.
  • I initially thought that my 5/5/3 Thor build was not optimal after the funbalance. However, having used this build since then, it actually works pretty good (for my play style). As others have said, 5 yellow is a requirement. The damage output is not great, but putting out 9 green tiles creates cascades 9 times out of 10. I use Thor more as a green generator for other characters that require green. 5 red does max damage and it's cheaper than yellow and green so I use that to kill off people once they get around the 1k HP mark. I typically don't use green unless I can possibly take out 2 characters at once.

I've been using Classic Storm a lot more now because since I have her green maxed, it destroys tiles according to how many green AP you have, but only 12 get used up. This typically let's me fire off her green at least 2 times, even if I have less than 24 green AP (usually fire it off at 15-17 green AP). That in turn let's me gather up more AP from the destruction. When it gets to the point where I can't use her green anymore, I start firing off other powers because chances are I have gathered enough AP from the destruction. It's quite fun.

Overall, I like the 5/5/3 build and plan to keep it even after Respec goes live. It makes Thor a green battery. However, if you're after a damage dealer, you should probably go either 4/5/4 to get the best of both sides or 3/5/5 for AoE damage.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thunder doesn't strike! It goes boom and rumbles the air!
    Lightning's the thing that strikes!

I expect this to be fixed post haste!

Yeah, I'm sure this has been brought up multiple times already, but for some reason I only just realised.
  • But we already have 2 versions of Storm with her iconic 'Lightning Strike' and Thor is the god of thunder, after all. How about 'Asgardian Fury'?
    'Thunder strike' just sounds kewl, it doesn't have to make sense icon_e_biggrin.gif