Thoughts on Painful truths

EDUSAN
EDUSAN Posts: 197 Tile Toppler
Playing around story matches i added Painful Truths to my black deck and weird as it may sound i was kinda surprised by this card.

PainfulTruths.png

At the cost of 16 it deals (at least) 3 damage and draw 1 card, which of course is pretty bad (although its a nice effect, dealing damage and drawing cards)

The good thing is that i was able to 3 colors in 1 painfull truth for a total of 9 damage (what makes this spell the one with most damage output i can remember) and drawing 3 cards...

at that moment i was like NOT BAD

but none the less i was able to play one with 4 colors converged (the good thing about this over expensive converged cards is that its pretty easy to converge a lot of colors on them)

I dealt 12 damage and draw 4 cards (which i didnt because my hand couldnt take so many draws) for 15 damage which i believe is totally insane (of course is not mana efficient since Exquisite Firecraft is 1 damage per mana, which i believe is unbeatable)

What do you guys think about it? I thought it was trash but i may be wrong

Now i believe that these converged cards are better considered as somewhat finishers because they are cards that you rather not fully filled in a turn but to always try go make them get filled a little bit with excess mana.
For example:
you have a possible black gem match (giving 6 mana) but the card you are gonna play needs 4 mana, place a converge card after that and converge black into it for only 2 mana and then place another card first

Comments

• ChrisTot
    ChrisTot Posts: 167
    Oh wow, that's an excellent thought! You don't want to put them in the front of your hand, you want them to be your second card that fill up in the overflow.

It makes so much sense now!
  • Coconut99
    Coconut99 Posts: 212
    The more I look at Converge cards, the more I wish there were either cards to just reshuffle the board (entirely or some large-ish number of gems) or a card to change some number of gems into random colors...some way to increase random matches, to raise Converge Mana numbers.

But yeah, you raise a good point...not as bad as an initial reaction suggests!
  • Abenjes
    Abenjes Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Converged cards are worth considering, the card below has the potential to be an 8/8 flying defender for 17 I'm sure there are better mythics out there, but we can't all get those, so I don't see it as a bad option

SkyriderElf.png
  • I may not remember correctly, but the converge cards I have used didn't show you which colors of mana you have used to fill them, only the total number of different colors. I found this to be a real problem that turned me away from the cards as a whole. If they can just code it to display similar to the first quest rewards that show you which colors you have completed them with then I may be back on board, but until then, work needs to be done. Besides the above card, the power level just isn't there with this mechanic . At all icon_e_sad.gif
  • EDUSAN
    EDUSAN Posts: 197 Tile Toppler
    I may not remember correctly, but the converge cards I have used didn't show you which colors of mana you have used to fill them, only the total number of different colors. I found this to be a real problem that turned me away from the cards as a whole. If they can just code it to display similar to the first quest rewards that show you which colors you have completed them with then I may be back on board, but until then, work needs to be done. Besides the above card, the power level just isn't there with this mechanic . At all icon_e_sad.gif

yes, that is infact a problem. The converge cards have a number but you cant know what colors that number means. that needs to be like something the devs need to look into right away if they want us to really consider them
    ChrisTot wrote:
    Oh wow, that's an excellent thought! You don't want to put them in the front of your hand, you want them to be your second card that fill up in the overflow.

It makes so much sense now!

Was that ironic?
  • ChrisTot
    ChrisTot Posts: 167
    EDUSAN wrote:
    Was that ironic?

Nah, was being genuine.
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    I've also had difficulty with Converge. Not knowing which colors of mana went into a given spell make it pretty unreliable. Plus, it's a weird feel-bad when you cascade like 12 mana of the same color and it all goes into a Converge spell.

With respect to Painful Truths specifically, can any of that damage be directed at opposing creatures, or is it all to the face of the opposing Planeswalker? It seems that cards such as Graveblade Marauder, Priest of the Blood Rite, or Despoiler of Souls can probably do more damage more consistently, with less setup.
  • I've been using it as a finisher for my ob nixilis control deck, and it's been phenomenal there. Typically get it set up to 4 converge, then hang on to it until I can activate the third ability for ob nixilis. That's 12 damage from painful truths, and 32 from the ability and four cards. It's the closest thing I've seen to an actual combo in the game. Definitly slow and grindy, and I really only use it in story mode, but it feels like with enough removal, you could go creature less control with this as a kill condition.