Iron Man Mk46 vs Phoenix (vs Black Suit Spidey)

Mawtful
Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
edited May 2016 in MPQ Character Discussion
I started stashing my Latest Legendary Tokens just before Civil War 1. In part, I had decided that I really wanted to get a bunch of covers for the new IM, but also I feel I'm really not in the 5* transition yet and there's no OML covers in those Latest tokens.

I was still on track to keep all those tokens saved up until Mk46 gets added after the second run of Civil War. But recently I've seen a few people talking about opening their tokens in advance of the content change for a better chance at covers for Phoenix. In short, it seems that she's probably the second most prized 5* at the moment.

Now, by chance, Phoenix is actually my most covered 5* with 5 covers (3/0/2), so I would certainly benefit from getting more - and it would serve to give me something to focus ISO on in the 5* tier. So I started giving some consideration to opening my tokens now. I've got 1 cover for each of Goblin and Spidey, and as far as I can tell they both seem to be fairly solid contributors. In particular, with the meta focused on OML, is it worth giving more weight to Spidey for his anti-Strike passive?

If I hold out and open the tokens after Mk46 is added, then I run the risk of drawing a 5* Cap, which is currently the one 5* I don't intend to keep on my roster for the foreseeable future, so I'd have to sell him and I just know I'd feel like it had been a waste.

Lastly, there's the 4* consideration. Since I'm likely to not draw any 5* covers at all, I need to consider what I'm going to do with the 4* covers that I get. I've currently got 5 champed (PX, IMHB, XFW, Carnage, Thor) and another 4 fully covered but below max level (IW, Elektra, Rhulk, Fury). With the exception of Kingpin and Flaptain, everyone else has less than 10 covers, including more than a few top tier characters like Jean Grey, Iceman, and 4Cyke. So there's still a decent chance that I'll end up drawing covers that I can use, although there's a few that will end up going to waste (I'm currently focusing ISO into Rhulk, so I'd hate to draw any covers for him, since it could be a very tight finish to get him champed in time).

Anyway, in terms of the 5*'s alone, is it better to crack those tokens open now for a shot at Phoenix or Spidey? Or should I stay committed to Iron Man and keep on hoarding?

Comments

• Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you have 5 Phoenix covers I think it is obvious you should try to get as many covers from her as possible. How many IM covers do you have right now, 1? 2 by the end of the second civil war event?

OML and GG are still king, but Phoenix is very good. Her purple is the best way of getting cascades in 5 land, and red puts a lot of strike tiles on the board (green on the other hand is probably her worst power :S). Another important point is that she plays great with OML (it is not bad with GG), one red cast and you have 6 strike tiles on the board!!!, in the next months we are going to see A LOT of OML+Phoenix teams in PvP.

IM is also very good, but you need to build your team around team IM chars to get the most out of it (well you can always go 3/5/5, but blue is tricky). IM doesnt work properly with OML or Phoenix, which limits is usefulness (I guess he works okish with GG).

IM is more shiny and new but Phoenix is probably your best option right now.

PS: For me OML and Phoenix are number 1 priority! Then GG, then all the rest.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks. That's just the sort of feedback I was after.

I should have clarified, my Mk46 has three covers at 2/0/1 (which makes him my 3rd best covered 5*).

I definitely agree that his synergy on Red is currently a little lacklustre. In 5* land, he only has Silver Surfer and Spider-man as potential Team IM allies, but of course that number is going to grow. In 4* land it's not much better though; probably the best of the 4* Team IM members is Hulkbuster, so of course that's right out of the question. War Machine looks as though he may be a decent partner, although there's an overlap on 2 colours between them, which is less than ideal.

However, I think you've convinced me to cash them in now. Since Phoenix covers are desirable, and both GG & BSSM are "nice to haves", any 5* cover I draw will be going to my roster.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mawtful wrote:
    Thanks. That's just the sort of feedback I was after.

I should have clarified, my Mk46 has three covers at 2/0/1 (which makes him my 3rd best covered 5*).

I definitely agree that his synergy on Red is currently a little lacklustre. In 5* land, he only has Silver Surfer and Spider-man as potential Team IM allies, but of course that number is going to grow. In 4* land it's not much better though; probably the best of the 4* Team IM members is Hulkbuster, so of course that's right out of the question. War Machine looks as though he may be a decent partner, although there's an overlap on 2 colours between them, which is less than ideal.

However, I think you've convinced me to cash them in now. Since Phoenix covers are desirable, and both GG & BSSM are "nice to haves", any 5* cover I draw will be going to my roster.

Yeah basically you exchange Cap for Spidey, and IM for Phoenix. But you can still get GG in either case.

Both IM and Phoenix have the only abilities that can create cascades in 5 land, which is something BIG for 5s. The problem of IM is that if the other team has red as strongest color you are screwed, so Phoenix is more consistent (the ultimate combo will be having Phoenix AND IM and cast first purple then blue and watch the other team die, I think this is why Phoenix was not team IM in the end). Then you exchange raw power (IM with maxed red and yellow can do some serious individual damage) for more versatility Phoenix (cascades, to feed red, to do damage and create strike tiles, and if everything goes wrong come back from the dead and kill everybody with green icon_e_biggrin.gif )

So, both are very good, so the good thing is that you won't make a mistake choosing one or the other. OML, GG, Phoenix and IM are much better than the other 5s, with Spidey and Cap in the other layer and then SS very far from all of them.

Think also, what are you going to do after you get these tokens, will you use the 20CPs or the 25 CPs? Because if you are going to use 20 CPs every time and then IM is going to remain with whatever you get from this, it is much better if you go for Phoenix. If you will use the 25 CPs tokens in the future then go for IM. Those two things go related.

PS: Looks like you don't have both purple and blue which were the main focus of my argument icon_razz.gif
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Agree with the advice already here. More covers for a slightly worse 5* is better than a first cover for a new 5* (unless we are talking clear meta-defining studs like oml and maybe gg). So chasing Phoenix is a better play than waiting for IM.

Phoenix is, I think, #3 when it comes to 5*s (though im46 may pass her when people have more experience with him).
    GG has the most damage potential, and might be the best option for a single match. But this game is a grind, and OML just can't be beat for sustainability. Combine that with the second best damage potential in the game and team-mate friendly powers and he is clearly the best there is. So OML and then gg are the top tier. Phoenix is currently the best of the rest for her board shake/ap battery skills. Im46 may supplant her if his blue isn't too expensive and if being forced to bring team IM members with him isn't too onerous. Then bss (useful as an oml counter, and not at all bad, but too, complicated to exploit well). And 5* cap and SS bring up the rear. They just don't have enough damage output relative to the 5* tier.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    By luck of the draw, I have a 5/0/1 Phoenix. Her green goes off so fast, that you never want to use a health pack again. Either they double-kill her same turn or you get a 55% true heal from zero.

Yes. I understand her other abilities are better. But man, 5 green isn't ****. It's still quite good.