**** Winter Soldier (Bucky Barnes) ****

13»

Comments

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    3/5/5 seems like a no brainer to me. Going 5 in purple only nets you +800ish damage and 1 extra AP. I think I'd rather gamble on either of the other two abilities hitting it big than bank on 1 AP being the diff in winning or losing.

*not that i'm going to use him that much anyway, in a 5* world this is just PvE essential insurance

I might disagree. Don't care about the damage increase, but it's not 'just' +1 ap. It's +1 ap for you and -1 for the ai. In a color of your choice. That's a potentially significant advantage of used well (i.e. not great on defense).

I don't think he will ever be a premier damage dealer (since his high damage powers are too contingent), so my think his play for utility and go 5/5/3. But honestly i don't know that i can say what build i prefer for sure without playing him. Maybe the king who must not be named (or someone else in the same position) can offer some insight once Bucky is maxed.
    The nice thing about Bucky is he has 3 useful abilities. You can run him 3,5,5 5,3,5 or 5,,3 depending on ho you pair him with.
    If you bring a big red user run him 3 in red. Run him with Punisher and run him 3 in pink. Have. Big blue user 3 in blue. He has a lot of utility, but for stand alone last man standing 3,5,5 gives the most damage. The difference of 1 AP is not enough in a vacuum compared to the damage his other 2 powers provide.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    https://youtu.be/6nVEkmGZGGo

My new character analysis video for Winter Soldier. I think people were right about his red not being as good because of potential for enemy to match it away. But his blue is a lot better than I initially thought. Great in PvE with the Thing and Quake. You can have incredibly board control, AP drain, big single target damage, stun, AoE attack, AoE prevention, single target spike protection, protect tiles, and attack tiles. The only thing missing is strike tiles.
  • Gmax101
    Gmax101 Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    I am loving using him icon_e_smile.gif

his purple (only 2 covers for me at the moment) is fun... It gives targeted board shake, small damage, but nice AP drain... good for stopping an impending Thunder Strike etc lots of fun

His Red is great damage, but frustrating when the enemy matches it... but it is nice damage... at 4 covers it hits plenty hard even at only level 150

His Blue is awesome... the only downside is that you get no benefit if you match them... but with either the countdown or the match the damage is great.

He is slow however, but chuck in board shake to make his red more effective and you get a lot of damage very quickly...
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    People have had time to get this guy leveled up and Champed / whatnot. Is he still a 3/5/5?

To me, 5/3/5 is a no-brainer. The utility from his purple (and synergy with Peggy's colors) suggest Peggy gets the blue, Bucky gets the red, and (whoever) gets the rest..
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    ronin-san wrote:
    People have had time to get this guy leveled up and Champed / whatnot. Is he still a 3/5/5?

To me, 5/3/5 is a no-brainer. The utility from his purple (and synergy with Peggy's colors) suggest Peggy gets the blue, Bucky gets the red, and (whoever) gets the rest..

3/5/5 is the best build imho. 3 in purple or 5 is so little difference, can hardly justify it. The damage is meaningless and its just 1 more AP.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    sinnerjfl wrote:
    ronin-san wrote:

3/5/5 is the best build imho. 3 in purple or 5 is so little difference, can hardly justify it. The damage is meaningless and its just 1 more AP.

Agree on the 3/5/5. I would hate to be 5/3/5 and have Peggy go down. I want to have the option of using his red especially if you know you will be able to match it.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    madok wrote:
    sinnerjfl wrote:
    ronin-san wrote:

Agree on the 3/5/5. I would hate to be 5/3/5 and have Peggy go down. I want to have the option of using his red especially if you know you will be able to match it.

355 all the way for me. All the talk of not matching the red is silly. I match it most of the time with some clever use of pink. There's the odd occasion where I can't but genuinely hit it at least 75% of time.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    So, I've been sitting with a 13 cover Winter Soldier for a while now. I don't have any more of his covers on the vine or anything, and I know all about the 'don't bother with anything but the latest 12' jazz and don't care about it. I'm just wondering if he's worth champing. His stuff seems potent, but AP intensive, and I'm worried he's a bit too much like Kate (good but expensive powers, a beast when boosted but otherwise 'meh').

Any opinions are welcome and would love to know who people use as common teammates.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu wrote:
    So, I've been sitting with a 13 cover Winter Soldier for a while now. I don't have any more of his covers on the vine or anything, and I know all about the 'don't bother with anything but the latest 12' jazz and don't care about it. I'm just wondering if he's worth champing. His stuff seems potent, but AP intensive, and I'm worried he's a bit too much like Kate (good but expensive powers, a beast when boosted but otherwise 'meh').

Any opinions are welcome and would love to know who people use as common teammates.

as a massive Bucky fan I can tell you he's actually pretty great boosted or not.

He seems tricky to use at first but he's actually fairly simple. His red is expensive there is no getting around that at all. You may want to pair him with an accelerator for that. Generally speaking I don't. his blue is probably one of the best damage blue skills in the entire tier. Match the traps get stung by some big attack tiles. Don't match them? eat 10k damage.

He's very high damage dealer and honestly hes more than a match for anyone and when boosted can one shot almost everyone in his tier with his red.

+
    High damage
    Multiple uses for his skills
    Punishment for matching his traps - this is advantageous against AI
    Steals - though I personally use this to set up a red match after firing or to gather ap for red
    Good health
    Awesome art (Ok so that one is just my bias talking)
    Simple to use - makes him a good partner for anyone who isn't a blue/red user

-
    Bit slow
    AI Will not use his red correctly or his pink - so If you care about defence then he's not much use there.
    ....Ummm.... he's not OML? Ok I ran out of negatives.

Good Partners
    IM40 - He's every blue/red user best partner.
    QS - Use QS black Set up bucky traps so that AI will match them
    4* Danvers - Use her yellow to insta-resolve buckys CD tiles she also covers black and will beef up any attack tiles bucky produces.
    Spider-Woman - Fire her purple and bucky blue and there's a good chance you'll win the match without having to fire another power. she also covers black and protects bucky.

Good Against
    Pretty much everyone but in particular he's very effective against tile transformers, fire his blue and then when (for example) 3* Thor changes the board to green he'll end up matching your tiles and producing at minimum 1.3k attack tile damage per turn.

I don't imagine you'll ever regret champing him. I don't know anyone that does.
  • Yoik
    Yoik Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker

After using him a few times boosted and champed recently I feel like he is an enjoyable toon. I wouldn't go out of my way to use him unless boosted however. Purely because he takes a while to get going. In PVP its all about the speed.

3/5/5 for me. His red is insane for damage whether you match it or they do. His blue is also very good. If the tile ticks down to zero your looking at a significant hit. If they are matched you still have the trap tiles which when boosted for me were ticking for 3k each.

I guess if there was a scenario where you were lucky enough to get 2 blues off and one of the count down tiles was matched you would have the opportunity to hit once for double.

Overall powerful but slow

• DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker

I found myself with two covers in my queue and enough ISO, so I've just champed Bucky and not sure what else to do with him. It looks like he's got three relatively decent but expensive abilities. There's a little synergy between Precision Shot and Moving Target, but otherwise it feels like each ability really stands alone. Additionally, he's also suffering from the general Trap activation nerf.

I'm thinking about 3/5/5, since the damage difference for Rank 3 and 5 of Precision Shot is minor and it's a big commitment to steal 1 extra AP.

• MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    I was always kinda hoping they would make it so you could hit the Moving Target CD tile with purple to force it to pop.

Would be a fair combo considering you have to spend 20 AP total to pull it off.
  • Arthurdillard22
    Arthurdillard22 Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    Who feeds bucky

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    3* Cap is his feeder
  • AlexR
    AlexR Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    I'm going to crosspost my Winter Soldier team from the Latest Favourite Team thread here.
    3/5/5 Winter Soldier, 5/5/3 Coulson, 3/5/5 4* Wasp.
    Bucky actually packs quite a punch, he just needs a lot of support from team mates (he needs precise board control AND a battery). I knew he loved Coulson for his purple, but today I realised that Coulson+Wasp together can battery Bucky via countdowns going off, too!
    Once Wasp gets going buzzing all over the place, Bucky actually becomes a solid, reliable damage dealer-- not only can you always guarantee that you get 14k dmg from his red every time thanks to Coulson, it actually becomes feasable to pull this off multiple times due to all the AP coming in. Coulson in turn gets 2 high damage partners, and Wasp is the glue that keeps it all together, providing a high damage black, stuns and AP.
    Haven't found anything else yet that really gets WS to be as reliable and efficient as this team makes him.