***** Captain America (First Avenger) *****

Comments

• markcoen01
    markcoen01 Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Bad news for his blue power. I was unable to use it for the health burst because there were no friendly strike, attack, or protect tiles on the board. I think re-wording needs to be done that says friendly tiles must exist. (For the damage part, duh. But just to get a little healing? Should be able to use it)
  • Koffitok
    Koffitok Posts: 87
    markcoen01 wrote:
    Bad news for his blue power. I was unable to use it for the health burst because there were no friendly strike, attack, or protect tiles on the board. I think re-wording needs to be done that says friendly tiles must exist. (For the damage part, duh. But just to get a little healing? Should be able to use it)
    The healing is per-tile, so if there's no tiles, it wouldn't do anything...
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    that's just bad ability design. so the ability is severely **** to only be useful with the ~30% of the characters in the game that make tiles? is it any wonder that all the big alliances went team IM? I guess it would be good with OML's red that spams tiles, but you won't want his black ones cannibalized for burst healing. sigh...
  • CloudTactics
    CloudTactics Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    The first bad 5 star. Cheers!
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards

SS is much worse than Cap, at least if you build a team around Cap he can do something, SS not even like that icon_razz.gif
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Polares wrote:

SS is much worse than Cap, at least if you build a team around Cap he can do something, SS not even like that icon_razz.gif

Yeah, in the boss Cap version, I almost killed him from max health, then Failcap used his yellow. I was like, hah, that is useless. Then Cap used his blue, healed back to full health almost, and one hit my HB. I was like, what just happened!? Has Failcap finally proved useful in support for the worst 5 star?! Kind of funny of the worst 5 star and worst 4 star together make an incredibly scary team.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Not gonna lie, if 5* Cap had the passive +1AP from each team cap member as a natural ability and not just a boss ability, he would be pretty scary.
  • theshadeofopal
    theshadeofopal Posts: 93 Match Maker
    notamutant wrote:
    Polares wrote:

Yeah, in the boss Cap version, I almost killed him from max health, then Failcap used his yellow. I was like, hah, that is useless. Then Cap used his blue, healed back to full health almost, and one hit my HB. I was like, what just happened!? Has Failcap finally proved useful in support for the worst 5 star?! Kind of funny of the worst 5 star and worst 4 star together make an incredibly scary team.

Thats the problem with the blue. Out of context 16000 damage and 33000 health (even if its fake heal) for 7 ap sounds pretty good . But most of the people who can generate a lot of weak tiles rapidly are either weakish 4*s or 3*s.
  • Polares
    notamutant wrote:
    Polares wrote:

Thats the problem with the blue. Out of context 16000 damage and 33000 health (even if its fake heal) for 7 ap sounds pretty good . But most of the people who can generate a lot of weak tiles rapidly are either weakish 4*s or 3*s.

His best teammates sound like OML and Phoenix in 5 land (one phoenix red and between both you have 4-5 strike tiles on the board), and Nova in 4 land, so no that bad, but it is true that 7AP looks very cheap, but in reality it is not that cheap.

A part from those the only other 4 that come into my mind are CapFalcon (but he is so meh) and Punisher which is also a good alternative (color synergy)
  • theshadeofopal
    Yeah those are okay but we really need a 4/5 star equivalent of daken/blade or mohawk storm, ie quick or cheap generation of weak special tiles you wouldn't mind getting rid of. Carnage will work really well in battles with minions in this regard.
  • notamutant
    https://youtu.be/Y63Ew3ekcB0

My new character analysis video for Captain America. He is better than I first thought, but still not that good. His yellow is just too expensive.
  • bbf2
    bbf2 Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2016
    I like him
  • Polares
    bbf2 wrote:

At ONE blue cover with no iso in him, if you use his blue immediately following a Mohawk black, it deals over 11K damage (I'm not sure how much damage it actually deals, since I have yet to meet anyone I couldn't one-shot with it) and basically heals your team to full health at the same time.

I have a black SS, a purple GG, and a red Phoenix and none of their powers have been remotely able to do any significant damage, I only use them to quickly kill level 30 opponents with match damage. But my 1/0/1 five star Cap completely destroys anyone and heals your team at the same time and is one of my mainstays now.

Is he buffed, because your numbers don't add up to the power description. Cap level 255 Blue at one cover should do 354 for every tile to a maximum of 8, so that's 354*8 = 2832. GG with one black does 3211. So how is it blue better?

Also, using 3s with leveled 5s in PvP is very dangerous, you will be immediately targeted.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2016
    Blue does seem to be his best power, followed by red, and then yellow (when will they learn that the bag-full-of-goodies powers are always overpriced and disappointing?).

Unfortunately, I don't think there are any great companions for his blue at the 5* level. OML makes a bunch of strikes, but his black strikes are too strong to eat for cap's blue. Maybe just using the passive, red strikes own the way to go? There aren't even that many 4*s that make cheap, disposable specials. So he may be a very strong transition character, but I don't see a good place for him in high level play in the 'elder game.'
  • theshadeofopal
    Vhailorx wrote:
    yellow (when will they learn that the bag-full-of-goodies powers are always overpriced and disappointing?)

Qft. I wish they'd take a page from standard game design theory, where jack of all trade skills are cheaper than the sum of their parts to make up for the lack of specialization instead of pricing each part in comparison to other full powered skills. 5cap's or fury's yellow, ocks green could be 2 ap cheaper but still not close to being overpowered.
  • bbf2
    edited May 2016
    I think he is pretty good
  • bbf2
    OJSP wrote:
    bbf2 wrote:
    Polares wrote:
    bbf2 wrote:

At ONE blue cover with no iso in him, if you use his blue immediately following a Mohawk black, it deals over 11K damage (I'm not sure how much damage it actually deals, since I have yet to meet anyone I couldn't one-shot with it) and basically heals your team to full health at the same time.

Is he buffed, because your numbers don't add up to the power description. Cap level 255 Blue at one cover should do 354 for every tile to a maximum of 8, so that's 354*8 = 2832. GG with one black does 3211. So how is it blue better?
    I cast Mohawk's black, and then when I used Cap's blue immediately afterwards it dealt over 11K damage to Thor. Then I made another blue match which took away some tiles, and I cast his blue again against Squirrel Girl. There were about 12 friendly special tiles on the board, the power removed 8 of them, but now it dealt 7K damage.
    It's possible they forgot to cap (no pun intended) the damage in relation to the number of tiles removed or the power description is wrong: 32x354=11128, 12x354=4248 (not quite 7k, but you said "about 12". Were there other special tiles or did the power create some cascades?)

Actually now that I think about it I was using Daken as the third so there were more than 12 tiles, some of his strike tiles were on there too. But I definitely remember seeing a direct "-(four digit number that began with 7)" next to Squirrel Girl's picture, it wasn't because of cascades or anything. So who knows what's going on. But the description in the game and in the OP of this post definitely don't line up with what he actually does. I hope it's not a glitch that they're going to fix because I sure am enjoying this 11K nuke that heals my team to full health!
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Could it be that streams are crossed between the player and boss versions of 5* cap? Does the 11k damage out match what he was doing in the civil war event?
  • notamutant
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Could it be that streams are crossed between the player and boss versions of 5* cap? Does the 11k damage out match what he was doing in the civil war event?

https://youtu.be/Y63Ew3ekcB0?t=12m10s

You can see him at 3 covers pretty clearly here. Does advertised damage with exactly 8 tiles out.
  • Polares
    notamutant wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

https://youtu.be/Y63Ew3ekcB0?t=12m10s

You can see him at 3 covers pretty clearly here. Does advertised damage with exactly 8 tiles out.

But we want to see when there are MORE than 8 tiles out. Can you redo the test using 3 Storm black and then Cap blue ?

It looks like they forgot to cap the maximum damage to 8 tiles icon_razz.gif (it always removes 8, but it uses as many as there are in the board, even though in the power description it clearly says by "each removed tile" not each tile present)