Greenwarden of Murasa

Options
Mythic
17 mana
4/5
When another non-token creature you control is destroyed, it is returned to the battlefield.

I opened this in my first Fat Pack of the new set. At first, I was disappointed. For 17 mana, I want something with better stats. I mean, look at the stats of some of the new Mythics! Then I put him in a deck to test out some synergies.

He goes very well with Reclaim (3 mana, destroy target creature you control and gain 12 mana) since as soon you destroy a non Greenwarden creature, it immediately comes back into play, almost completely negating the downside (it regains summoning sickness). If you use the Reclaim and Greenwarden combo on a creature with an enters-the-battlefield effect, even better! I've tested it on Woodland Bellower and turned Reclaim into a 3 mana spell that draws a creature card and gains 18 mana. Of course, by the time you have both a 17-cost and 20-cost creature in play, you don't really need this kind of a combo!

Greenwarden also pairs nicely with Green's assortment of efficient reach creatures like Dwynen, Gilt-Leaf Daen and Skysnare Spider (and Dwynen's Elite in a pinch). I'm still not sure how the ordering of the creatures goes with the wonky MPQ rules, but I've had Greenwarden in play, lost a Dwynen to an attack, then the Dwynen came back into play in the first slot again, which is of course the ideal scenario. This is the reason I kind of hate Brawler's Plate: when I play a new creature, it takes the first slot and takes the equipment but then has summoning sickness so you lose the use of the equipment for the turn.

Comments

• Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    For creature order I can help.

Basically creature from bottom to top are ordered: defender - reach- vigilance

So defender will go in first place even if played after.

Within the same class (let's say you have 2 vigilance creatures) the order is the same you played the creatures.

NOTE: if you apply one of those skills to a creature after play(like with Gideon skill or nissa spell) the order is rearranged to fit this logic.
    So even if 2 creatures with none of these skills are played if on the second one you apply these buff that one will move down accordingly.
    Sometimes knowing this can change your play.
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I got a Murasa too the other day.
    One problem I see is that the creature moves accordingly to my previous post as a brand new cast creature.
    This means th order can change and if it was a non reach/defender/vigilance will be put as last creature.

This over time means that Murasa will go slowly in first spot prone to berserker creatures.
    This is working as intended but make Murasa a little less valuable overall.
  • PapiLouis4
    PapiLouis4 Posts: 113
    Options
    i was lucky and got him on my first zendikar bb as well. ive found that as long as you keep him around defenders like skysnare and dwynen hes pretty much unbeatable. Ai usually isn't smart enough to target him with removal or damage spells s othose 2 will keep him pretty much safe. Also reclaim is a must with murasa, 3 mana cost for 12 pretty much.

I also used him with Gaeas Revenge(haste) and reclaim combo, but found that using hangerback walker is much better. All you do is cast reclaim or scour from existence on hangerback and profit icon_e_biggrin.gif then cast mantle of webs on your thopter #winning