Best end time aiming for 1k pts

Options
fnedude
fnedude Posts: 379 Mover and Shaker
edited May 2016 in MPQ Tips and Guides
So I'm looking to join PvP to get to 1k pts, but not but the HP to stay top 100 (because I just see it as a waste of HP to constantly send it in PvP).

So I want to get up to 1k points and then if I fall down, oh well.

So I can only play in blocks of time (at night after work), 5-9pm (PST) each night. So I can grind to 1k (and probably not much more, i.e. its not worth for me to try to go higher).

So should I join the 4th slice which ends at 9pm, or join the 5th slice?

What I figure is the people aiming for top 50 are probably going to come on-line from (either 6pm-9pm or 9pm-12pm) to grind out to T50, and I'll be prime target in the last 3 hrs.

(I only have 2 4*s championed, and working on 3rd) so I know I'm going to lose, okay, I'm aiming for the progression rewards.

Comments

• TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    my experience is 4 is better than 5 for points. but don't wait too late or most will be shielded and the only ones unshielded are baking, and if you climb on freshly queued bakers, get ready to come out of a match -200.
  • PeterGibbons316
    Options
    Tons of points in S4. Just make sure you finish more than 8h before the end of the event. 9-23h left or 25-31h left typically work best for me.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The last couple of events, I've hit 1000 >24 hours before the end, so might be worth an early push and unshielded fall till the next night if you don't hit it, with some juicy retaliations available for you.

This is in slice one, and was reliant on my championed Hulkbuster and 240 Jean Grey though, so I don't expect as easy a ride after Jean stops being boosted.
  • Mjmacka
    Mjmacka Posts: 55
    Options
    Here's how the brackets break down.
    S1 - Good points, major alliances play in this bracket.
    S2 - Few points dominated by Crewsaders. Don't go here for high scores.
    S3 - Villains slice. Good points usually.
    S4 - X slice. Usually the highest scoring.
    S5 - Decent points.

S1/S4 are currently the best for high scores. S3 is next, then S5, and S2. It helps to be on line and to communicate with people playing.

My advice is to climb to a safe float. 600-700. Then when you are ready go all out and put up an 8 hour or 3 hour shield until the end. Putting up a shield lets you safely collect good q's.

Personally, I aim for top 10 in S5 and top 25 in S4 (due to point inflation).

I usually spend HP on 3-4 shields per event, so 375 or 450 HP. I am usually able to make that up with championing and PVE. A long time ago, back in my 2*->3* transition days I thought about it and I felt that the HP expenditure was worth the price of the covers as long as I didn't go too out of control. Basically, the 300-450 HP to do a 3/8/3 or a 3/8/3/8 nets top 25/50 placement, ISO, HP, at least 2 3* covers and a 4* cover with the potential to win 25 CP if I scored well.
  • DCUDCU
    DCUDCU Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Spending some HP in a PVP isn't neccesarily a waste. You get 100 on your way to 1K, and if you finish in top 50 another 50, or top 100 another 25 if you fair worse. Then you get covers you can add to champions and get more 4*.

It is entirely possible to be HP even in PVP, or even gain a little. Depends on how tight you are for roster spots.