New Planeswalkers! (04/29/2016)

Options
Hibernum_JC
Hibernum_JC Posts: 318 Mover and Shaker
Hi folks, it’s me again!

Today I have the pleasure of announcing 2 new special offers, as well as sharing exclusive information on the reward for the top position in Quick Battle this weekend!

First up, we have Koth of the Hammer!

Koth is a legacy Planeswalker we decided to add to the game to have a completely different new playstyle for red. Being creature heavy, he’s different from Chandra who is typically a bit more skewed towards spells.

His main attraction, however, is his extreme Red focus. He’s a new type of Planeswalker we are experimenting with, who gains a LOT of mana from Red matches (he’s at a whopping +6 at level 60!) but gains significantly less mana from other colors (at his best, at 60, he gains -1 on every other color). We’re hoping this will help shake up the metagame a little; like the new Planeswalkers, he is very strong (as those who have played with Gideon, Ally of Zendikar and Ob Nixilis have found out already!) and has incredibly powerful abilities.

His first ability is Rage of the Mountain. It gives +1/0 (up to +4/0) and Berserker to each of his creatures. This will help his lack of spells and gives him creature destruction.

His second ability is Reshape the Land. Working in tandem with his focus on Red, this ability destroys a number of non-Red gems, removing unwanted colors from the board and possibly creating cascades at the same time. At rank 1, it destroys 3 non-Red gems, but at rank 4 it destroys 12, which is a huge number!

His third ability is a total game-changer, like most of the third abilities for the new Planeswalkers. Called Strength of the Mountain, it creates a Support gem on the board (with a 10 shield value!) that grants +1/+1 (up to +4/+4 at rank 4) to each of your creatures every time ANY player matches Red gems. It is our most costly ability in the game so far (it costs 30, which is very high!) but once it’s out, your opponent now has to navigate between denying you mana but buffing your creatures or ignoring Red altogether and hope you don’t have Red matches. It’s an incredibly powerful ability that will help you make the most of his creature-heavy decks.

Koth of the Hammer is available through special offers right now!

Second, we are also adding a new Mythic card to the special offers - Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger!

MtGPQ_Ulamog_2016.png

Ulamog is the big bad guy of this set. Being a Mythic, his cost is a bit high (at 21, it’s on the upper end of creature costs). However, he is a big beefy 10/10, and his ability is nothing to sneeze at: every time he attacks, he perform an Ingest on EVERY gem of your opponent’s color. This is very extreme mana denial, and works very well as a counter to many Planeswalkers who are very reliant on generating a lot of colored mana. It also has superb synergy with the Processors in the game, as well as the Devoid cards, so we hope you give him a go and see just how powerful he is!

Last but not least, as the reward for the top player in Quick Battle this weekend, we are also introducing Garruk Wildspeaker!

Garruk is also a legacy Planeswalker that we wanted to introduce into the set. His color is Green, and he is also quite different from the Green you’re used to playing. Garruk is Spell-heavy, with little room for creatures and bit more for Supports. What he makes up in creatures, however, he gets back in his abilities.

All 3 of his abilities are based on summoning tokens. His first ability summons 1/1 tokens, his second 2/2 tokens and his third 3/3 tokens, all in amounts from 1 to 4. For example, his 3rd ability summons 4 3/3 tokens! His ability costs are also rather low (6 for his first, 9 for his second and 15 for his third) so you’ll be able to flood the board with 3 different creatures, reinforce them easily and cast spells to buff them up!

We really wanted to create a different experience for Green with Garruk, and we hope you enjoy playing with him!

Comments

• Plastic
    Plastic Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Garruk sounds really cool. Looking forward to when the rest of the community has access to this guy.
  • BassMuffinFIve
    Options
    Exciting stuff! Will be there any other of method of acquisition for Garruk in the future aside from coming in first place in Quick Battle?
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Nice reward...
    Garruck skills seem a little too.... simple.
    Hope those token have at least some skill/abilities or else there would be no difference beside power between them.
    Even Gideon that has all his skills based on buffing creatures have three distinct skill each with its usefulness.
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Last but not least, as the reward for the top player in Quick Battle this weekend, we are also introducing Garruk Wildspeaker!

I'm actually excited about Garruk, will he be available to purchase for crystals later? Also can you get Koth for crystals later?
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    His main attraction, however, is his extreme Red focus. He’s a new type of Planeswalker we are experimenting with, who gains a LOT of mana from Red matches (he’s at a whopping +6 at level 60!) but gains significantly less mana from other colors (at his best, at 60, he gains -1 on every other color).
    Since every PW gets +6 at level 60 in their main color, is he strictly worse than all others at mana generation or is this a typo? Or did you mean a total of 12 mana for red matches?
  • Meto5000
    Meto5000 Posts: 583
    Options
    loroku wrote:
    Since every PW gets +6 at level 60 in their main color, is he strictly worse than all others at mana generation or is this a typo? Or did you mean a total of 12 mana for red matches?
    He means that at max level Koth gets a +6 bonus to red matches and a -1 penalty in all other colors. So Koth's total bonus is +1 across all colors whereas all other current Planeswalkers have a total bonus of +5. Hopefully Koth's loyalty abilities can make up for the overall mana deficit he faces.
  • paralistalon
    Options
    I hope garruk's tokens synergize with existing creature types, like the 1/1s should be element ale so they can stack with awaken spells, etc. I also like that you can get ulamog because he will fit into a devoid deck for any color rather than just being limited to one deck (ps please fix it so that devoid creatures count as colorless).
  • loroku
    Options
    Meto5000 wrote:
    loroku wrote:
    He means that at max level Koth gets a +6 bonus to red matches and a -1 penalty in all other colors. So Koth's total bonus is +1 across all colors whereas all other current Planeswalkers have a total bonus of +5. Hopefully Koth's loyalty abilities can make up for the overall mana deficit he faces.
    So he actually gets 9 for matching 3 red, instead of 6 for matching 3 red?
  • Plastic
    Options
    loroku wrote:
    Meto5000 wrote:
    loroku wrote:

These are his final stats.
    http://imgur.com/SoxQ6fy
  • EDUSAN
    EDUSAN Posts: 197 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Plastic wrote:
    loroku wrote:
    Meto5000 wrote:
    loroku wrote:

These are his final stats.
    http://imgur.com/SoxQ6fy

i dont like all these new pw to have more than 100hp... seems a bit too p2w for my taste. New expensive pw having more hp than normal free ones? hmmm
    (without counting the challenges that give crystals that say things like "finish the game with more than 90hp" when red and blue (and i dont remember if black) dont even get to 90hp
  • Plastic
    Options
    Honestly Koth is not worth the investment. It takes him FOREVER to play anything and this game is about speed right now. Even with his high health, he'll be lower than everyone else by the time he gets stuff out on the board.

They need to remake his matches more like +6 red and +0 everything else. Or reduce the cost and effects of all his PW abilities. Even his max rank 2nd ability feel like trash compared to other similar effects (Chandra's 1st, Nissa's 1st). MAYBE that'll help, but right now he feels unplayable and definitely not enjoyable.
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Lol I did not notice that for Garrick this week it is not needed 1st place but 1-10.

Oh well I got ahead to play less tomorrow and keep me in the top ten...

I REALLY hope Garruck is worth it but I suspect this not being the case icon_e_confused.gif
  • rulerhumankind
    Options
    Morphis wrote:
    Lol I did not notice that for Garrick this week it is not needed 1st place but 1-10.

Oh well I got ahead to play less tomorrow and keep me in the top ten...

I REALLY hope Garruck is worth it but I suspect this not being the case icon_e_confused.gif

It will still feel like 1st place, since quick battle is so much larger now. It now equates to being in the top 0.4% (10 people out of 2500). I hope there will be other ways to get this planeswalker.
  • loroku
    Options
    It will still feel like 1st place, since quick battle is so much larger now. It now equates to being in the top 0.4% (10 people out of 2500). I hope there will be other ways to get this planeswalker.
    Top 0.03%. 10 out of 3000.

It's the same as getting 1st place in the previous PvP setup.