Fun Facts about Fortified Tiles! - No. 3 will shock you!

Jaedenkaal
Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
I'll keep this updated as I discover more, which won't be fast since I don't own GG. Feel free to pitch in concrete, observed behavior.

1) If the owner of a fortified countdown tile is downed, the countdown is removed but the tile remains fortified. This opens us up to observe the properties of basic Fortified tiles

2) Fortified basic tiles are valid targets for random special tile creation. I have specifically noted Shou-Lao Fang Strike, owned by me, converting a Red Fortified (by my opponent) basic tile into a red Fortified Strike tile, owned by me (obviously). The tool-tip for this tile mentions nothing about the fortification.

3) Nonbo with Flame Jet. Fortified effect is applied before Flame Jet counts down, which removes the CD tile and replaces it with a new one that is not fortified.

4) Fortified CD tiles that convert to other kinds of tiles (Peacemaker and, I presume, Escape Plan) convert to Fortified tiles of the new type. Which makes #3 even more sadface.

EDIT: Added other observed behavior from posts. Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far.

Comments

• Blackstone
    Blackstone Posts: 595 Critical Contributor
    Cap's blue countdown tile, when fortified, becomes a fortified protect tile when it goes off.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 622 Critical Contributor
    I just tried using Green Goblin in Torch's pvp ("Hotshot"), thinking GG's yellow would fortify Torch's green countdown (Flame Jet) protecting it for the rest of the match. It didn't work, though -- at the start of each turn, GG's yellow would activate first, fortifying Flame Jet, which would then count down to zero, remove the fortification, and then reset itself to a count of one. This seemed to be completely contrary behaviour to what I've seen happen elsewhere, where the fortification will remain around a tile that reaches zero and transforms into something else (e.g., Fury's Escape Plan). I wonder if this is as-intended?
  • Mitchjewitz
    Mitchjewitz Posts: 84 Match Maker
    It's logical but with if you put SW "in front" of GG then she creates the Cd and GG immediately fortifies it. But if she is behind then it won't fortify until the next turn.

Also if the fortified tile is the central tile to make a match 5 then it disappears (replaced by a critical tile).
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    OP missed a chance to make a clickbaity thread title, like "You won't believe these fun facts about fortified tiles! No. 2 will shock you!"
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    OP missed a chance to make a clickbaity thread title, like "You won't believe these fun facts about fortified tiles! No. 2 will shock you!"

Good point. Fixed.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 622 Critical Contributor
    It's logical but with if you put SW "in front" of GG then she creates the Cd and GG immediately fortifies it. But if she is behind then it won't fortify until the next turn.

Whoa -- Thanks!! Is this the case with ANY "at the start of your turn" moves, with the order of execution being determined by character order?? (Are their levels taken into account, or is it only position based?)

If so -- I can't believe I'm over day 800 and have NEVER noticed that. icon_eek.gif
  • Demolira
    Demolira Posts: 78 Match Maker
    GG's yellow would activate first, fortifying Flame Jet, which would then count down to zero, remove the fortification, and then reset itself to a count of one.

From what I've seen with refreshing countdowns, such as Punisher's Molotov Cocktail or Ghost Rider's red, this is fairly typical behavior. If I recall correctly, those tiles refresh back to red tiles when Iceman turns them blue, and they would return to the original controller on refresh after the old Moonstone Control Shift.

I'm more surprised that tiles that turn into others like Escape Plan work with the fortification.
  • HxiiiK
    HxiiiK Posts: 195 Tile Toppler
    An addendun to number 1, when a character like JG uses her purple and removes countdown, the countdown turns into a basic tile as well but remains fortified, this was observed in the CW battle against Cap
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    bdb.jpg

...oh wait, this is actually helpful information.

I'm not sure if this is common knowledge, but if you match a fortified tile, you will receive one less AP than the expected amount. It might be useful to note this behavior.

Simple example, make a red match 3 where one of the tiles is a fortified tile, you will only receive 2 AP instead of the expected 3.

It works identical to matching a locked tile. Confirmed a couple times when fighting Cap in CW.