Origins card collection, by the numbers

Options
Meto5000
Meto5000 Posts: 583
edited April 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Because I'm a big nerd I went through all my cards and tallied up how many dupes I have of each rarity

Total Cards Collected: 1355
  • 019: Mythic - 1.402% of Total
  • 131: Rare - 9.668% of Total
  • 469: Uncommon - 34.613% of Total
  • 736: Common - 54.317%

Total Duplicate Cards Collected: 1122, 83% of all cards I collect are duplicates
  • 006: Mythic - 0.535% of Total Dupes, 32% of Mythics I get are duplicates
  • 084: Rare - 7.487% of Total Dupes, 64% of Rare I get are duplicates
  • 380: Uncommon - 33.868% of Total Dupes, 81% of Uncommons I get are duplicates
  • 652: Common - 58.111% of Total Dupes, 89 of Commons I get are duplicates

Total Individual Cards Collected: 233/246
  • 13/24: Mythic - 54% Collected
  • 47/49: Rare - 96% Collected
  • 89/89: Uncommon - 100% Collected
  • 84/84: Common - 100% Collected

Sellback Price of Duplicates: 51,040 Runes
  • Mythic: 6 * 1000 -> 6,000 Runes
  • Rare: 84 * 200 -> 16,800 Runes
  • Uncommon:380 * 40 -> 15,200 Runes
  • Common: 652 * 20 -> 13,040 Runes

I'm too tired to do any number crunching right now but two things really stand out:
  1. Mythics are really hard to come by. Unless you're winning a ton of QB events (which is a large time commitment no matter when you enter) you're only going to see Mythics about 1% of the time compared to other cards.
  2. The sellback price of all the Mythics I have received is less than half the price I'm getting for my commons and almost three times less as I'm getting for my rares. It seems like it's pretty obvious the sellback price of Mythics is not on par with what we're getting for the other cards.

Comments

• Fiddler
    Fiddler Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Last time I counted I had 1,695 cards collected in total. My numbers are very similar to yours. My unique/duplicate count is:
    Common 84/878
    Uncommon 88/464
    Rare 48/112
    Mythic 14/7

That puts my percentages right in line with yours.

I am not too excited about cashing in duplicates for runes. Like you noted, we will get around 50K for our rather large sets. That's enough to level a single PW to 50. Considering that I have just over a million runes already, that seems like small potatoes. Should work out well for those picking up the game for the first time though.
  • EDUSAN
    EDUSAN Posts: 197 Tile Toppler
    Options
    those picking up the game recently dont have so many dupes to level up a PW

i wonder if the devs care about people amassing so many runes, to me that is a problem. I think that when one could buy packs with runes the game didnt let us get so many runes because (there are exceptions of course) when you felt you had a ton you would spent some in packs. Now i dont think there is anything the devs could give us to do with runes that wouldnt be "exploited" by the people having TONS AND TONS of runes.

Craft mythics with runes? 50k each? OK i can have every mythic im missing right now.

New PW? 100k to level him up? Ok i have a lvl 60 pw day one

Im scared the devs would end up doing something like "we screwed up with runes, we are going everyone a big box and removing all your runes to start from scratch", because the amount of runes people have saved (from not having anything to do with them) got out of control.
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The real issue, as I see it, is that the devs forgot to re-normalize the game once they started giving people 300 runes for each QB win.

Suddenly "300 runes" became worth 5 minutes of effort. It's like "one penny" in US currency: it's the smallest value worth thinking about.

The way they're treating dupe prices and 2nd tier story mode rewards, it's like they still are thinking about runes in terms of "50 runes" being one penny. That's about what it was before, where you got 50 runes for a QB and more if you happened to beat a tough opponent. Look at XP costs up to level 50: with the average close to 800 or 900, I feel like they are still centered around the idea that you get 50-100 runes per "smallest amount of effort." 300 runes per smallest amount means you will level up way too fast and run out of rune uses way too fast.

They could up the XP costs from 1 to 50 a bit, but that's also sort of a **** move - so they are probably going to make 50-60 outrageous in comparison. Level 50 requires something like 1655 XP; I'm betting level 51 takes like 5000 or 6000. That's what it SHOULD cost if the rune costs had been normalized.

Similarly, people read the "you can break a mythic for 1000 runes" and just laugh. They should break for 5000 or 6000, at least. And this is without anything to spend those runes on!

In short, they need to make breaking cards about 4-6 times as valuable. And they should quadruple the 2nd tier story mode rewards to reflect the effort and one-time nature of those. This is JUST to normalize runes again - nothing more. PvP rune rewards could probably be doubled at a minimum as well.

Then give us the ability to craft cards with our runes and the game will be set! icon_e_smile.gif
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Fiddler wrote:
    I am not too excited about cashing in duplicates for runes. Like you noted, we will get around 50K for our rather large sets. That's enough to level a single PW to 50. Considering that I have just over a million runes already, that seems like small potatoes.
    This is a great example of why the rune prices for dupes are way, WAY too low. If "I've been playing for months" nets you close to a million runes, all your dupes getting you 50k is just a laugh.
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    loroku wrote:
    Then give us the ability to craft cards with our runes and the game will be set! icon_e_smile.gif
    For the love of freemium please!