No Holds Barred PvP event

14567810»

Comments

• Phantron wrote:
    Eddiemon wrote:
    locked wrote:
    What was it like before shields? Does anyone even remember? I say, screw the shields. They do naught for players who don't have thousands at their disposal (like me; never sailed coattails of c. Storm, Loki, Rags and GSBW, Thorverine, max blue Spidey, etc.) I'm content with getting what I can at my speed anyway; it's not like you get enough iso to level all the covers.

Everyone waited till the last 2 hours and piled on. The rest of the event was basically meaningless. If you couldn't play in the last 2 hours you were out of luck. It was a terrible system for most people with jobs.

Under the old system, roll a random number between 1 and 200 and that's your final placement. I have went from 1 to 200 in the last 5 minutes of a tournament.

I don't get why people always complain about 'rich'. You get HP for playing the game, and if you don't use them to earn toward covers, what do you use them for? Let's imagine there's this special token you can buy for 100 HP that has the following odds:

90% chance of being a predetermined 3* cover
    3% chance of being 2 predetermined 3* covers
    7% chance of being 3 predetermined 2* covers

Would you buy this item? I'd take 10 of them assuming the 3* is what I need. That's roughly the payoff for shielding at around 20th place with 3 hours left to go in a PvP tournament. If this deal popped up every one should jump all over it, but you don't do it in a PvP tournament because a shield is P2W?

Shields were great when first introduced. The issue is that with shield people removed from the MMR pool, it becomes a mix of race + P2W. You either have to be the first to climb, or be willing to spend a ton on shields. There's rarely an in between because the unshielded people get slowly siphoned into a crazy MMR pool when the high point people shield out.
  • starsrift wrote:
    Nailed a top 5 finish. I stayed strong most of the tournament, only falling down a couple times.

The leader in my bracket, Sockid, finished up in first with some near-1000 points - when I last checked I was third with 637, 2nd place had 648.
    Everyone else in my bracket is tier-2 upper/mid level heroes, Sockid's all high-level tier 3's. Must've been doing some serious tanking to get down here, noticed he was leading some of the LR's too with ridiculous scores. :/ That rascal! icon_e_biggrin.gif

Sockid didn't have a high level 3*, just medium level like the rest of us. The highest char is a lvl 96 patch and lvl 90 spiderman. He is just too good or extremely lucky no one retaliated him or find him on their skips. I know he check forum sometimes, I wish he can share his strategy for us. That would be awesome lol.
  • GEFPenst wrote:
    locked wrote:
    Why should they change their strat if it's working? And why are you reluctant to change your strat if it's not working?
    You know what? I am a fan of both Puzzle Quest and Marvel. But not a fan of turtling. Guess why I'm not pro extensive shielding. I like playing, dammit. I wish the system were a bit more fair to players like me.
    No we can't afford several day long shields; and even if we could, we WANT TO PLAY and be rewarded proportionately.
    It would have been extremely easy for me to keep place 2, had I not wasted 100 HP for a useless 3 hours shield a day before; lesson learned and I don't think I will pay for another shield anytime soon, since my roster is full yet again.
    But I don't see how other people can have fun with oh such a clever shielding strategy, when this is a match 3 game and not a timing contest.
    Step 0: have disposable 100 HP
    Step 1: play during late night, when there's less competition
    Step 2: get to 100-150-200 points.
    Step 3: wait till last 4-3 hours.
    Step 4: push for desired placement - I'd guess top 45 or top 15
    Step 5: shield with cheapest shield (3 hours one)
    Step 6: DO NOT BREAK SHIELD
    Step 7:...
    Step 8: get 100 HP back as reward +50 HP as progression, get 1-2-3 3* covers
    PROFIT! And you don't need to pay anything at all! You even spend less time and nerves!

Thanks for the tips, but as I said, I had no experience with shields whatsoever. Also, my time zone is greatly different from most players. Lesson learned; no shields for me at this moment unless I find it in my heart to delete the useless 14 lvl Moonstone cover.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hey, at least the moonstone cover is good eye candy.
  • Twysta wrote:
    Good point; but I'm a girl. But I like the cover art for whatever reasons and I also heard the gal can be useful in No Man's Land or smth. Still waiting to discover her potential though.

2Phantron:
    And no, shields are not P2W; but I am infuriated by the fact that unshielded people are so juicy next to shielded. It's okay if you pay up to win even more (I tried to do just that and failed hilariously); but somehow others suffer for it. It's not the players' fault, but the system's. Top 10 goes shielded = everyone below and unshielded tear each other to pieces. Unfair. I heard someone suggesting a bonus from a win streak; that would be so nice for a change.
  • locked wrote:
    Twysta wrote:
    Good point; but I'm a girl. But I like the cover art for whatever reasons and I also heard the gal can be useful in No Man's Land or smth. Still waiting to discover her potential though.
    Hmmm? Wild shot - russian?
    If your timezone is very different, then even better - start your bracket around noon, that will give you one of less competitive brackets and just play during day, when most players (USA) will be asleep or working. Less retaliations, less competition.
    As for Moonstone - on high levels she's very tanky and her red can be on par with Wolverine's.
  • GEFPenst wrote:
    locked wrote:
    Twysta wrote:
    Hmmm? Wild shot - russian?
    If your timezone is very different, then even better - start your bracket around noon, that will give you one of less competitive brackets and just play during day, when most players (USA) will be asleep or working. Less retaliations, less competition.
    As for Moonstone - on high levels she's very tanky and her red can be on par with Wolverine's.

Nope, not Russian; but Russian-speaking. Yeah I have a day job, I can't let it suffer due to MPQ too much. Thanks for the tips though. It won't matter in the long run since playing in the daytime only makes me a larger target in the evening/at night. I don't have good defensive characters either, maybe that's why people love attacking me so much. (Maxed Daken does not deter anyone in the slightest).
    I know, Moonstone got me shredded with her red several times. She's a good villain, but I usually kill her last (costly abilities, no passives).
  • locked wrote:
    Nope, not Russian; but Russian-speaking. Yeah I have a day job, I can't let it suffer due to MPQ too much. Thanks for the tips though. It won't matter in the long run since playing in the daytime only makes me a larger target in the evening/at night. I don't have good defensive characters either, maybe that's why people love attacking me so much. (Maxed Daken does not deter anyone in the slightest).
    I know, Moonstone got me shredded with her red several times. She's a good villain, but I usually kill her last (costly abilities, no passives).
    Well, at least start during day for better bracket.
    Even maxed Daken is easier than Thor or cStorm - one can be such pain if left unchecked and cStorm forces you to be very cautious with using abilities (I once almost suicided by loping Molotov and not killing cStorm with it). Daken can be very easily ignored by characters that don't require green to be effective - oBW, Punisher, Ares, Patch (latter three being almost free in previous events makes Daken even less useful).