Peter's Complete DDQ4 Strategy Guide - Tips for all Matchups

Comments

• Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    Surprisingly easy 1/3/2 @ 131, beat him on the second attempt (+2 g/b, +50% g/b, +2 r/y), which would've been one try if I had a better innate sense of arithmetic. I never got that much black, but considering the amount of damage that G's cosmic tiles did, one was mostly enough with a few of my punch tiles out there.

I pulled a yellow Green Goblin(!) from the LT.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, i was surprised how easy this actually was. First time with my 1/2/3 111 Ghost Rider, +2g/b, +2 all.
    Match away count downs, collected AP, fired off green and red at appropriate intervals, collected lots of black, let a couple of his count downs resolve to beef up Penance Stare, then stared him down twice then let the attack tiles finish him off.
    Purple Miles for my efforts.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    My 0/2/3 level 127 GR managed it on his 2nd attempt. The insane part was the fact that by the end when I finally cast Penance Stare, between the two castings I had saved up, it did enough damage, that I don't think I even needed my match damage or my few Hellfire castings. Penance Stare is just that awesome if played at the right time.

I'm starting to consider pairing GR with KK for some fun in PvE. Now what Blue Yellow user would augment their powers further?
  • ChuckFan
    ChuckFan Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Followed the guide and beat it on the 4th try with my 0/2/3 level 118 GR. Used 2xG/B AP, 5xG/B 10%, 5xR/Y 10% boosts.

This run started off well, Galactus kept placing his CD tiles in matchable spots in the beginning. Got off 1 red skill and got up to 23 Black AP before things started getting iffy. I had about 2300 HP left, so I used 1 Penance Stare to knock him down to 3K, just 1 more black AP needed! No black matches in sight, G has a 1 and 2 CD tile down that I cannot match away either. Made a match closest to the 2 blacks on board, take ~1K damage. Match black in place but at this point, only about 1200 HP left, if G get's a cascade or two I'm done for! Make the black match and G knocks me down to 76 HP! I survived! Yes!

Right after winning this battle, I got my daily supply which was 10 CP enough for me to open a classic token. And lo and behold, get a 3rd Black cover for GR. Lol, had I known, I would have played a much easier match beforehand! icon_lol.gif
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2016
    Just adding some of my own low cover/level 4*s that have been successful in this second cycle of 4* ddq.

Thing 0/4/4 @168 (my thing is less low level than oddly covered. this match is very hard without at least 1 red or all 5 green covers. There is no way to do significant damage to torch. have to use maximum match damage boosts, rely on match damage and hope for a board that feeds lots of green and keeps torch out of red/black)

Flaptain 4/2/2 @145 (another really hard matchup, especially with a weak red. just used iso boosts and waited for a board that gave me 28 red ap, 9 yellow ap, and a bunch of yellow tiles on the board all at once. When I finally got that I was able to do about 6k per red and drop marvel with back to back casting. but it's tricky to deny red/black long enough for that work)

Iceman 1/2/1 @94 (save up purple until you really need more blue on the board. boost blue/purple match damage. Deny green and purple)

Rulk 1/2/1 @94 (just need to keep hulk from getting the red off. at such a low level it's almost essential to use match damage boosts as you won't do enough damage otherwise. save up enough purple to make sure hulk never uses his own green)

Ghost Rider 1/2/4 @110 (kinda cheating with 4 black covers. no need to boost here. just keep playing until you have a board that lets you collect 24 black without dying from the countdowns. 2 penance stares should be plenty, but use match damage boosts if you lack black covers or enough health to really build up black damage)

JG 2/2/4 @150 (surprisingly hard match because JG does little single target damage. Best tactic I have found so far is to be flexible. If you can get 12 green before she gets 9 black, use green and deny black. If you have special tiles out, then keep 10 purple around in case moonstone gets 9 black. If she has 9 red, try to remove red tiles from the board. I don't know that a single plan of attack is the right way to go with this fight. try to set up match-5s for moonstone in non-essential colors)

X-23 2/1/2 @111 (don't let her cast black. the trap damage is 900 per trap, will kill you quickly, and is unavoidable. Red is slightly less threatening, but can also chew through you quickly. Purple once is fine. save up green for several consecutive berserker rages, and try to bait elektra into matching traps)

5/0/2 Star-Lord @168 (again not exactly low cover/level, but this is a really hard matchup. Must get off something like 2 purples and 2 reds, so collecting that ap is important. gamora's black or green is basically game over, and her red will kill you in just a few casts. ap denial is key)

Edited for Howard

0/0/3 Howard @ 70. Two tries, no boosts. Strategy is just as CT1888 says below. Deny green, collect purple, go invisible, keep denying green and protecting invis tiles. Only thing I would add is that you also need a lucky board. can't do much when punisher pulls multiple green matches out of his **** with RNG tile drops.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Rulk 1/2/1 @94 (just need to keep hulk from getting the red off. at such a low level it's almost essential to use AP boosts as you won't do enough damage otherwise. save up enough purple to make sure hulk never uses his own green)

Are you saying my 0/0/4 Rulk could've had a chance??? icon_eek.gif
  • Pwuz_
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Rulk 1/2/1 @94 (just need to keep hulk from getting the red off. at such a low level it's almost essential to use AP boosts as you won't do enough damage otherwise. save up enough purple to make sure hulk never uses his own green)

With boosts, absolutely!!!
    Denying Red only with the ability to drain his Green, you could have done it without breaking a sweat. One of the easier DDQ out there.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

With boosts, absolutely!!!
    Denying Red only with the ability to drain his Green, you could have done it without breaking a sweat. One of the easier DDQ out there.

icon_redface.gif
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Howard vs Punisher is relatively straight forward, as he is level 222 with green and blue powers, Green has the area of effect, so your stategy should be:
    Deny green
    Get purple
    Go Invisible
    Deny green
    Deny green
    Gather more purple
    Protect Invisible tiles
    Deny green
    Use more purple
    Deny green
    Keep matching
    Deny green
    Did you use boosts?
    This is taking some time
    Deny green
    Keep matching
    Win!

Note, as it's a 1 on 1 fight, his green only does the unmodified damage (no downed allies)
    +2p/b, +2all, +100% match damage, level 90 0/1/2 Howard
  • Zikato
    Zikato Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    But you get a Green Howard cover, not LT as with other Crashes.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Got it done with my 0/0/2 level 86 Howard, +2 all AP, +2 blue/purple, and +100% match damage. I was just barely able to survive the second Merciless Charge, so I think this will be very difficult with a single purple cover.
  • I'll update this in a couple hours, but the comments above are solid. I definitely think this is doable with just a single purple cover. And honestly I wouldn't be surprised to see either a single green or single blue make it through with some damage boosts and a little luck as well.
  • Done with a 94 lvl duck, 1/1/2 and no boosts
  • Cousin Simpson
    Quebbster wrote:
    Got it done with my 0/0/2 level 86 Howard, +2 all AP, +2 blue/purple, and +100% match damage. I was just barely able to survive the second Merciless Charge, so I think this will be very difficult with a single purple cover.

My Howard was the same as yours, boosted the same, but I was able to limit MC to one in the match I won, and it was at the end when letting Max Castle get a green match would let me get another purple match to create more invisibility tiles.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll update this in a couple hours, but the comments above are solid. I definitely think this is doable with just a single purple cover. And honestly I wouldn't be surprised to see either a single green or single blue make it through with some damage boosts and a little luck as well.

have hard time seeing a 1/0/0 or 0/1/0 howard making this work. Even if you deny as much as possible, punisher is going to get off a blue eventually and match damage with a few strikes is enough to drop a lvl 70 character. invisibility is the key because you can just deny green and whittle him down as long as the board cooperates.
  • Vhailorx wrote:
    I'll update this in a couple hours, but the comments above are solid. I definitely think this is doable with just a single purple cover. And honestly I wouldn't be surprised to see either a single green or single blue make it through with some damage boosts and a little luck as well.

have hard time seeing a 1/0/0 or 0/1/0 howard making this work. Even if you deny as much as possible, punisher is going to get off a blue eventually and match damage with a few strikes is enough to drop a lvl 70 character. invisibility is the key because you can just deny green and whittle him down as long as the board cooperates.
    If you have one green you can afford to focus a little more on denying blue, and just eliminating green when it becomes a problem. If you have 1 blue you just focus entirely on green. The HP difference is significant and tough to overcome - would take some damage boosts and some good cascade fortune, but I think it could be done.....but for what? Another green cover. It would be quite the challenge, but hardly worth the effort.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    0/0/3 level 94 Howard took Frank down easily without boosts as expected. A single cover level 70 could do the same. Just as in the main post:

1. Go invisible ASAP.
    2. Deny green.
    3. ????
    4. Profit (kind of).
  • Pwuz_
    Did it with a single Purple covered Howard at good old level 70. 0/0/1

Tiny Kitty this fight! I used way more boosts than I normally would on a fight like this. Too many matches I lost to Frank's match damage before I could even get enough Purple to cast DDL.

Then the AI gets Green tiles raining from above at nearly every turn. How many times that I'm stuck denying green, only for the board to shuffle and give the AI a ton of Green.

And then let's talk about the fact that the AI seems to have been tweaked so Frank was aiming for my Invisibilty tiles. My 2nd attempt had him down to less than 2k, and he ignores a black and a blue match to go out of his way and match my last invisibility tile away!!! Grah!!!
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    My 2nd attempt had him down to less than 2k, and he ignores a black and a blue match to go out of his way and match my last invisibility tile away!!! Grah!!!
    This doesn't happen unless your last invis tile was part of a match 4.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    My 2nd attempt had him down to less than 2k, and he ignores a black and a blue match to go out of his way and match my last invisibility tile away!!! Grah!!!
    This doesn't happen unless your last invis tile was part of a match 4.
    That's what I thought, but more than once he would go out of his way to match purples. That particular match was the most frustrating though as it cost me that attempt.

It was almost as if he was treating his colors as Green, Blue, Purple; not Green, Blue, Black.