Expert opinions on most recent 4*s

grunzadin
grunzadin Posts: 52 Match Maker
edited April 2016 in MPQ Character Discussion
I'm wondering if Nova, Quake or Punisher would deserve a spot in the "god tier" group. Anyone with experience using these chars have a feel for where they rank among the 4*s?

Comments

• KingDreadnaught
    KingDreadnaught Posts: 92 Match Maker
    I Vote Quake as the most usable + powerful of late 4* releases. Punisher Max is pretty heavy dmg when pairing with PNX and OML. Nova is very nice and required so little AP which good for fast game (my style). I think paring PunMax and Nova is another good option. Definitely these 3 are high end 4* which I prefer to use over many older high end 4*.
  • Bulls
    Bulls Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    little offtopic
    KD how ofthen are you using champed 4* with your champ 5* roster? I know that in patch event I was wrecked by your phoenix + quake (was she reducing boosted rulk green down to 1) but I guess that was mostly due to patch blocking oml.
    It's really sad that we're not seeing any of new 4* in action as either it takes ages to collect them or they're collected by ppl with rosters that overshadows them due to sheer power of champed 5*. Since change of 4* cover price from hp to cp I've seen just your quake once (and she was 400+ due to champing and boost;p) and someone playing venom week or two back when he was boosted- and that's it.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am no expert, but I think all 3 of them are potentially useful.

Nova is a great fast damage output character. He is a bit squishy, but has several cheap moves that disable opponents and/or do solid damage and/or make fairly strong strike tiles.

Punished max is a slower heavy single-target damage character. His black doesn't have a damage cap, so if you design a team to put lots of strikes in the board, he can do massive damage. And green is a solid finishing move (though not as good as retribution).

Quake is an awesome support character IF the enemy has aoe attacks. Board shuffle and tile destruction are very useful powers. But you can't design offense around her. She is a solid pair with xpool, destoying his countdown tiles cheaply. Xpool + quake + im40 would be very strong.

The general problem with all of them is that the 4* tier is getting full. And while they are all good, I don't know that they are so much better than the existing top tier to be exciting. Look at the 3* tier. The later releases (3*cyclops/if/kk) had to be much better than The old top tier (bp, thor, cmags etc) in order to supplant them. I don't know if these new 4*s are quite that strong. None of them look clearly superior as the current top 5 (cyclops, jceman, jg, rulk, imhb), but they will be good complements in 2017 when covered. . .

But maybe KD can shed more light on that specific question.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    I am no expert, but I think all 3 of them are potentially useful.
    I agree, because you really need to be using boosted 4*s these days. You can't just focus on the absolute top tier, because if none of them are boosted and available, you're pretty much screwed.

Eg, on the PvE essential that locked out OML, I figured I might as well fall back on fistbuster. What I didn't figure is that I'd end up wiping. Kinda sad that what used to be the most reliable grind combo is now scaled out of being useful at all, without HB being boosted.
  • Vhailorx
    True Simonsez, boosted champ 4*s are kind of ridiculous in the current pve meta (like 5*s), so a deep 4* bench (and the infinite iso that requires) is very useful.

In the other hand, it's clear that demiurge wants to change our scaling to go back above 325/395. So the crazy power of boosted 4* champs may be about to evaporate. Not clear what the new scaling meta will be.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    actually for their stated purpose of providing an advantage to leveling your roster, capping the opponent levels makes some level of sense. however, 326 is child's play for those who have multiple low-mid 400s guys. none of their actions line up with their stated purpose though, so not sure what to take away there...
  • Vhailorx
    326 May be child's play for a good team of boosted 4* champs, but did people report opponents at 450+ in the RotS test?