Animist's Awakening

Options
Has anyone else played with this card? For me the results have varied wildly, sometimes netting me 10-25 mana (net mana people) and sometimes losing me 5 mana and making my opponent get some crazy cascades and then pop the magical green bubble that gives me 10 more green gems on my turn.

Has anyone else had more consistent results with it? This card is very frustrating.

Comments

• Abenjes
    Abenjes Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I have just started playing with it, and I love it, like many cards in this game it seems to come down to timing, I often black it out so it doesn't cast until I have 8 green I then get more consistent results from it. Ive had 2 geas revenge get cast from its use, combine it with nissas 20 green ability and I can pretty much clear my hand.
  • Abenjes wrote:
    I have just started playing with it, and I love it, like many cards in this game it seems to come down to timing, I often black it out so it doesn't cast until I have 8 green I then get more consistent results from it. Ive had 2 geas revenge get cast from its use, combine it with nissas 20 green ability and I can pretty much clear my hand.

Yep, having the 8x managreen.png on the board is key. You cannot count on it being there after the opponent's turn. They improved the decision matrix and I now find it targeting my activate - managreen.png whenever possible.

That said, it still bites me every once in a while, especially when playing another Nissa.

Also, I just leveled Nissa to passed 38 and her first loyalty ability comes in really handy when trying to get more managreen.png on an otherwise sparse board; Nissa's Pilgrimage too.
  • I have only ever activated it while there isn't 8 G out, but sometimes it'll only get 5 mana and then my opponent will end up with an extra swap and my special gem is gone....

It's been increasingly inconsistent...
  • raidan
    raidan Posts: 128
    Options
    It can be inconsistent, but when it works, it's amazing.

As previously stated there are several things you can do to increase its effectiveness.

I personally find it best to use, with a lot of green on the board or almost no green on the board.

If there is a lot of green, which the PW 1st and 3rd ability can help with, you will usually get a massive return. This can be extremely huge if you have 2 Animism Awakenings in a row.

If you do it with almost no green, it makes it so it's next to impossible for them to match it and then allows it to activate on your turn before you move allowing for some potential good matches.

It synergizes well with Alhammerret's Archive. With successful plays of Animist you may find yourself low on cards. The Archive makes it so that's not a problem, it even doubles the cards from your 1st PW ability!
  • watashi101
    watashi101 Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    edited February 2016
    Options
    When your opponent played Animist's Awakening, you know you are going to win
    cwJaglo.jpg
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yes it's all fun and games...
    Until someone loses the match

Xnk7WOU.jpg

icon_cry.gif
  • Abenjes
    Abenjes Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It can be inconsistent but it can also be a very valuable card. I've made mine more efficient by pairing it with Honoured Hierarch and sword of the Animist.
    If the Hierarch is renowned then you are almost immediately looking at an extra 10-15 mana and if you can activate the timing gem with the animists block destruction then you don't have to worry about your opposition deactivating it.
  • raidan
    raidan Posts: 128
    Options
    23hn89l.jpg

Thanks to Animist's Awakening giving me enough mana: I was able to have this very powerful finish with a deck I used to win the summon 9 creatures challenge.
  • EDUSAN
    EDUSAN Posts: 197 Tile Toppler
    Options
    this card makes me win games, and makes me lose games. But winning is more frequent

extra tip on this card: if you are able to do 5gems match TO play this card, you will get the extra swap after all the crazyness this card brings, and if you are lucky enough you can activate the 2nd trigger yourself, preventing the enemy from killing th special gem

im playing a nissa deck (that im sure is more inconsistent than a normal "big creature" deck) with the pyromancer's goggles and its pretty damn fun

I use the animist's awakening to be able to ramp up a pyromancer's googles and my only 2 spells in the deck are the animist awakening and Joragas invocation (+6/+6 to all your creatures)

Crazy stuff can happen if you have 3 minions and you can proc a couple pryomancers googles to trigger more awakenings or do free +6/+6, added to the pw 2nd skill

i've been able to do like 60 damage in 1 turn
  • It's an extremely rare occasion that I can get a 5 gem swap. lol.
  • Anamist Awakening is amazing. I only cast it when I have the 8 green on the board, blacking it out until then. With Nissa's Pilgrimage it isn't hard to do. When I do use it, I put in order after it all my big stuff to eat the mana like Outland Colossal. If I have two Animist Awakening in my hand I put the second behind the first. I then clear the board twice ussually , feeding my entire hand. In this scenario I make sure I have plenty of cards in my hand by using Nissa's first ability. This card is pretty situational though. It will help win your game.
  • Whole point of game is to use Nissa 2 as much as possible - anytime you are using her 1 means slower gameplay.

Thats why I suggest using alhamarret's archive with her. Actually results in faster games.
  • fox1342
    fox1342 Posts: 174 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It's my favourite card and a must in green decks. No it doesn't always work. C'est la vie.

Favourite start - Zendikar, awakening, Hangerback, 3rd ability. who needs anything else.

There's no point playing it unless there are a lot more than 8 greencrit.png on board.
  • fox1342
    Options
    Bah.
    And then you get turns when I got 0 matches from it, the opponent then cancelled it with 7 greencrit.png and an extra go. icon_e_sad.gif

Still won with no damage taken though.
  • fox1342
    Options
    Also a bit annoying is that it never triggers the 'have another go' despite matching 5+ greencrit.png

If you manually match 5 greencrit.png and hit the trigger, you still don't get another go.
  • fox1342 wrote:
    Also a bit annoying is that it never triggers the 'have another go' despite matching 5+ greencrit.png

If you manually match 5 greencrit.png and hit the trigger, you still don't get another go.

That is because "match 5 extra turn" only triggers on the "move tiles" part.

Anything that destroys tiles, converts, or otherwise triggers tile matching afterwards does not trigger that.

This is a good thing, it limits their power and prevents them from cascading infinitely.