No Holds Barred PvP event

Comments

• Mmm...didn't get up for my alarm on time and only got in a single match I KNOW counted. Got a second in but I think.it ended first. Oddly I got a push about losing stamped 9:04...so that's odd. Never got an in app notice for the loss so I assume it didn't count but with thier system there is no way to tell. The one win pushed me to #42 so ill just hve to see. I'll be a little disappointed if I don't get the hood considering I could have shielded @ first but decided to just slide to let others get the wolvie I didn't need (green)
  • Started from 160 with half and hour till end, climbed till top 5 and just sat there unshielded. My bracket was very silent during last 3 hours.
  • Hehe

Started 3rd at 650 points and 40 minutes to end to do a run for 1st ( 789 points)
    Ended 4rd with 530 points icon_e_smile.gif . And 10 minutes to finish I had 775 points. I won all fights - about 15 I think

I almost feel being punished for playing. Almost bcos I don't care ...

If this was fun? No...

It must be really frustrating for players who fight for covers to play these days
  • I'm not seeing why people are fighting it out if they actually need the covers. I was shielded at #5 yesterday and I actually went up to #4, from winning a defense fight and from other people dropping. You save 100 or 200 HP so that you don't get the cover that's worth 1250 HP, sometimes 3 of them?
  • I needed and won all three Hood covers so it's not a total loss, still bummed about Wolvie but it's okay.
  • Anybody not getting rewards? Haven't played since last night, had the defenses pop up from the shield, but no reward yet.
  • Unknown
    edited February 2014
    Anybody not getting rewards? Haven't played since last night, had the defenses pop up from the shield, but no reward yet.
    I have not received any rewards yet either, 35 minutes after the end of the tournament. This happened to me after the last "Best There Is" Tournament and I had to put in a CS ticket to get my rewards. I'll give it another hour or so first...

EDIT: Got them now. 1 hour 10 minutes after the end of the tournament. Not upset or anything, but could see myself being pretty ticked if I wanted those Hood covers for the old villain LRs
  • RangoFett wrote:
    Anybody not getting rewards? Haven't played since last night, had the defenses pop up from the shield, but no reward yet.
    I have not received any rewards yet either, 35 minutes after the end of the tournament. This happened to me after the last "Best There Is" Tournament and I had to put in a CS ticket to get my rewards. I'll give it another hour or so first...

Okay good, it's not just me. The latest it's been has been about this time. I'm actually kinda curious to see what place I finished. I was #6 when I went to bed and hope it Finish top 15.
  • I am pretty frustrated right now. So I held a 20 hour lead, let's say 650ish. Then this dude, Tosl, comes out of nowhere (his roster is **** btw, so why he is in my tournament standings, but his team is so low levelled I can't find it, I don't understand. Can someone explain?) and pushes past me by 50 points. So i break shield, push three patches then shield again. Risky but fine. Well he breaks shield and does the same thing. I breach 800 before wham, 2 attacks and I'm down to 675, again, He apparently gets attacked too, but doesn't reshield. I end up freaking out and switching to Patch, buy ISO and level him 10 levels or so as a last resort, thinking with his fast output I can win faster and put up the shield. Well, for some reason this brings the hordes back, and my Patch ends up working as bait instead of deterrent. Long story short, presumably that dude wins the tournament, and I don't finish my last fight in time (so I guess it doesn't count...) and I end up placing top 5. I spent real cash though, and probably about 1000 HP in shields, most of them at the last 3 hours...I got **** rewards other than the 3 Hood covers, so now I stand with a level 20 Hood for my efforts. I know I am solely to blame for all my bad decisions.

Obviously the final score was less than the score I had before I broke shields the last time. So i wonder if I had never broken them to begin with if I could have won by virtue of defense? Does anyone know the algorithm of how you should up to opponents? I will probably not invest in shields like this to try to win #1, and instead settle for constatly placing in top 10 or so. Hope D3 uses my money to Nerf my characters! (I kid I kid..)

Observations from the tournament:

The most dangerous character in the 2* bracket is Ares, hands down. Not Thor, not OBW, Ares. I have confirmed this through hundreds of matches, he always puts up a good fight, and is deadly with either the punisher or patch. (hint, all three maxed are an offensive powerhouse not to be triffled with.)

Hulk is now my workhorse. he isn't amazing, but tanking is very valuable, although Patch breaks that precious balance. Therefore a combination of Patch and Hulk seems to be the winning choice. I don't like Punisher as the third because my punisher is low level, and because I don't get enough coverage.
    Ironman 40 is good but not great, he needs a buff.
    Patch is the most powerful character in the game. He should be 4*, not Xforce.
    Spiderman is on the verge of being useless. Sad because for a lot of us he should be a cornerstone character. I hope the devs put a lot of effort into reworking him, because if this tournament is any indication, there are hundreds of Spidermans at lvl >100 out there.

To all the people saying that Loki + Patch would dominate i say lol. I say this combo once and it was ridiculous.

I would like to hear other people's opinion on this, especially those that have good 3* rosters. I don't really want to hear how your 2* Wolverine, Thor, OBW is still awesome, because it isn't.

Also, I think this game needs customization, so if you win a tournament, you get to wear a little badge.
  • klingsor wrote:
    I am pretty frustrated right now. So I held a 20 hour lead, let's say 650ish. Then this dude, Tosl, comes out of nowhere (his roster is **** btw, so why he is in my tournament standings, but his team is so low levelled I can't find it, I don't understand. Can someone explain?) and pushes past me by 50 points. So i break shield, push three patches then shield again. Risky but fine. Well he breaks shield and does the same thing. I breach 800 before wham, 2 attacks and I'm down to 675, again, He apparently gets attacked too, but doesn't reshield. I end up freaking out and switching to Patch, buy ISO and level him 10 levels or so as a last resort, thinking with his fast output I can win faster and put up the shield. Well, for some reason this brings the hordes back, and my Patch ends up working as bait instead of deterrent.

Still reading the post, sorry about your loss, wow, and here I frustrate over 200 HP spent on 2 shields (got me nothing in the long run).
    As for Patch, I don't find him dangerous on enemy teams, his moves are costly somewhat and with him needing green and red, which I need too, I can usually deny those. And even if he manages to use a move, it kills Patch himself shortly after. Just my 2 cents. Of course I try not to fight lvl 141 Patches yet since my usual heroes are only 45-69.
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 526 Critical Contributor
    Very frustrating.

Got knocked down from 20 to 44 with >1 minute remaining.

I really wanted that Hood cover. icon_cry.gif
  • I managed to finish in the top 15, without using any shields. It was close at the end, being attacked over and over. I definitely noticed a huge surge of activity after the Patch LR ended. I started my climb from 60th to 6th before the LR ended, but couldn't make up any more ground in the last 30 minutes.

Still, a net gain of 150 HP and 2 covers I still needed; can't complain.
  • Breaking shields when you've above 600 is always risky. There's no predictable way to do it. You can go check the Avenger Elite thread for some guidelines on how to best break shields, but it bascially boils down to that when you shield you should have a team that is hard to attack, because no matter how fast you think you are, there's always someone (usually more than one guy) who sees you the moment you break your shield. You get one chance to switch teams safely (start with defensive team, break shield with high offense team and opponent still sees your defense team until you're done with your match), but that's it, which is why the Avenger Elite tournment was won by someone running a very defensive team (Hulk/IM40/Punisher?). At high rating, the most important part is that you have to slow your opponents down, because there's no way you can outrace 5 guys who see you pop up on their screen for 40 points.
  • nihilium
    nihilium Posts: 242
    Anyone got any rewards yet?
  • Still haven't received my rewards... Anyone else?
  • I received all mine.
  • PorkBelly
    Arclight wrote:
    Still haven't received my rewards... Anyone else?
  • Lost 1st place in the last 10 mins to Blacksun after getting whacked for two -40s when i broke shield to win 12.

Stil trying to reconcile how he cranked out 881 points with a L69 Moonstone, L52 Daken, and L40 Venom as his best characters.
    I couldn't even place top 50 when I was at that level.
    A lot of people have been seeing **** rosters buzzing around top 10s. 2nd in my (fairly low scoring) bracket looked to be using maxed 1*s. Top 1? More unusual, but 600+ rating, certainly.

I think it's probably just because invisishields have caused the scores to get so clustered again and higher probability of -50s mean no one's able to open up a commanding lead, so they just get to some reasonable peak and then pay Demiurge not to play any more.

Whether they've determined there's some new user experience problem and they're experimenting intentionally or it's just that their MMR system has never worked and possibly never will is anyone's guess. Whatever they do, we're going to game it, because what else do we have to compete with, our superior Bejeweled skills? At least they seem to have been getting wise to that much.
  • Unknown
    edited February 2014
    klingsor wrote:
    I am pretty frustrated right now. So I held a 20 hour lead, let's say 650ish. Then this dude, Tosl, comes out of nowhere (his roster is **** btw, so why he is in my tournament standings, but his team is so low levelled I can't find it, I don't understand. Can someone explain?) and pushes past me by 50 points. So i break shield, push three patches then shield again. Risky but fine. Well he breaks shield and does the same thing. I breach 800 before wham, 2 attacks and I'm down to 675, again, He apparently gets attacked too, but doesn't reshield. I end up freaking out and switching to Patch, buy ISO and level him 10 levels or so as a last resort, thinking with his fast output I can win faster and put up the shield. Well, for some reason this brings the hordes back, and my Patch ends up working as bait instead of deterrent. Long story short, presumably that dude wins the tournament, and I don't finish my last fight in time (so I guess it doesn't count...) and I end up placing top 5. I spent real cash though, and probably about 1000 HP in shields, most of them at the last 3 hours...I got **** rewards other than the 3 Hood covers, so now I stand with a level 20 Hood for my efforts. I know I am solely to blame for all my bad decisions.

Hi there,

tosl here. Sorry for the loss. I pushed 3 times a bit further with about 16h in between, so i didn't came "out of nowhere". I just didn't shield, because this tournament ended 18 o'clock my time, with me coming home early from work. With that push to 800. I did the same, got smacked down, pulled a boost, because you have been 3 points in front of me. Now the lucky part was, that while i did this one more game, my team won on defense. I did not spend 1k hp, but 500 for three shields and a +3boost.

Could have gone another way easily and i would be pissed.
    Just the point with the **** roster: I played with a 100 Hulk, 75 IM40 and a 77 OBW. I just go for purple in the beginning, then yellow, then rank up 30 green and 30 red and just smack down the last two standing with hulks red. This works just fine.

Best regards
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly wrote:
    Arclight wrote:
    Still haven't received my rewards... Anyone else?

**** wolverine covers just popped up. icon_cry.gif