Colossus or Sentry

TheBaku
TheBaku Posts: 55 Match Maker
edited April 2016 in MPQ Character Discussion
Hey guys...

I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel here...

The only two 3 stars I don't have champed are Colossus and Sentry... I never use both, and don't really like either of them...

I have one each of their cards sitting in my inventory, and am looking to Champ one of them for the Legendary Token...

It's not worth saving the ISO, because I never get 4 star cards... I don't have the time (or inclination) for 1000 in PVP, and don't play enough PvE for top 100... so my 4 star transition is essentially stalled.

I'm around day 900, so I collect slow trickle of varied 4 star cards... but nothing noteworthy.

So... the question is... Which loser should I Champ, Sentry or Colossus?

Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sad to say, but I'd probably do Colossus, since his red does similar damage without damaging you at the same time. Sentry's green is garbage, and his yellow usually does more damage to himself than the strike tile generates before being destroyed.
  • TheBaku
    TheBaku Posts: 55 Match Maker
    It is a pretty sad situation isn't it... lol

I should have added that both are level 105-ish, so the cost involved is 100k (give or take)... I don't have enough saved to do both!

Great points on Colossus, I was leaning that way, but wondering if anyone had anything nice to say about Sentry...

Thanks for the input!

Anyone else?
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    TheBaku wrote:
    wondering if anyone had anything nice to say about Sentry...
    Well, he has great hair...
  • az98
    az98 Posts: 30
    Ive been enjoying playing with colossus in this event, nothing like throwing GSBW into the air, landing and getting a free green off. Sentry on the other hand i dislike alot, anytime im stuck playing with him, it feels like the game is dragging on forever.
  • Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    TheBaku wrote:
    wondering if anyone had anything nice to say about Sentry...

Both will hardly ever get used, but icon_colossus_new.png feeds icon_wolverine.png covers, where icon_sentry.png feeds icon_redhulk.png covers. Winner: Sentry IMO
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    you assume it will be that forever. my guess is some of those will be adjusted, especially ones like colossus who is a second feeder to xfw, and sentry who is a second feeder to rulk (and why does thor not feed thor?). they'll both prime candidates to pull off for newer characters.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    TxMoose wrote:
    (and why does thor not feed thor?)
    I'm guessing someone thought it was funny to have him feed "Thunderbolt" Ross.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Colossus isn't bad, red is solid. But he's completely outclassed by Cage who does what he does better and cheaper. His black needs to be cheaper and yellow just needs a falcon threshold thing. 8ap and you get the cd. Also for god sakes let his yellow reduce strike tile dmg
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    You can get some use out of Colossus yellow and black powers, and red will do in a pinch. That's more than can be said about Sentry.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    az98 wrote:
    Ive been enjoying playing with colossus in this event, nothing like throwing GSBW into the air, landing and getting a free green off. Sentry on the other hand i dislike alot, anytime im stuck playing with him, it feels like the game is dragging on forever.

Agree with that. I threw Thor in the air and got a free Call of Storm!!!

That alone would make me pick Collossus over Sentry.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Colossus and Thing is a pretty fun combo too. As is Colossus and Jean Grey...
  • Colossus. Throw Sentry into the air... and leave him there. Oh wait, you can't do that.
    On a more serious note I agree with the comments. Average red, black with a roulette chance of a useful team power. Kind of fun - the anticipation of a gamble. Opening a LT is also a gamble but I won't go there.
  • Partyof5
    Partyof5 Posts: 62 Match Maker
    Colossus is my 2nd highest 3* (I only have 1 3* fully covered). Because of that I use him quite a bit. He's best when teamed with a character that has at least 2 high damage abilities like Hulk, 2* Thor, or GSBW due to his black ability. Maybe I just don't realize how much better the other 3*s are because I don't have them covered as well, but I like using Colossus.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    TheBaku wrote:
    Great points on Colossus, I was leaning that way, but wondering if anyone had anything nice to say about Sentry..

Sentry was amazing before he got nerfed. Sentry/Daken got me through a lot of very tough fights.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I actually kinda like Colossus. Black is a little pricey, but if used with the right characters you can pretty reliably feed black into another strong ability. His red is nothing to sneeze at either - the "Colossus in front" requirement isn't a deal, since there aren't a ton of good yellow abilities, so you're likely to be sitting on the yellow AP to trigger his shieldy thing whenever you're ready to punch some dudes.

Sentry is terrible in every way that it is possible to be terrible.
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Sentry can be decent with OML (Sentry green, then just before timers pop, fire OML black. Watch the opposition get destroyed), but that's about the best I can say for him. Go with Colossus. He's at least decent, even if Cage outclasses him badly.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Sentry is good with Green Goblin

Since it doesn't sound like you're planning to really use either outside of just token generation, however, I'd suggest keeping Sentry just because he will hand over red hulk covers.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Blahahah wrote:
    Sentry is good with Green Goblin

Since it doesn't sound like you're planning to really use either outside of just token generation, however, I'd suggest keeping Sentry just because he will hand over red hulk covers.

Sentry is not good with GG.

GG is very good, and his fortifications makes the horror that is post-nerf world-rupture marginally less terrible.

if you put a bagful of **** on the front seat of a lamborghini, then the combination of the two might be worth a fair bit of money. But the bag of **** is still worthless. . .